The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2017, 08:53 PM

Default NGQ

That is, New Guitar Question

I posted yesterday about my new Martin and I have a question for the more veteran Martin folks.

I’ve never had a guitar that didn’t have a metal screwed in strap button and now I do. Truth be told, I’d overlooked the little envelope that had the end pin and thought I’d have to go back to the store...

Anyway, I read on the paper that came with my Guitar about how to insert it and while I did what it said, I’m a little concerned about how well these thing stay put. I’d hate for it to come out at an inopportune moment.

Has anyone put a more permanent pin in? Like one with a screw?

Thanks,
PJ
Old 12-17-2017, 10:24 PM

I’ve had good luck with Martin end pins staying in. The only time I had one pull out was once when I slung the guitar over my shoulder, hanging from the strap. Fortunately, I was walking on grass at the time so no harm was done. Other than that one time, my Martin push in end pins have never failed me.

So, if you avoid being foolish, as I was, you should be fine. Martin has been doing this for a long time. They’re not going to mess you up.

Last edited by Misifus; 12-17-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

The endpin has a 5 deg taper, but your hole is not tapered. I highly recommend you find (or borrow) (or take your guitar to a luthier/tech) to ream the hole slightly so the endpin can properly fit. Endpin reamers are somewhat pricey, so unless you plan on reaming lots of 5 deg endpin holes, best bet is to borrow or pay to have it done. It's a 1 minute job at most.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 12-18-2017, 01:48 AM

I've never had problems with the taper pin either. Just check it every now and then to make sure it is still secure, should be fine.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Martin endpins are "friction fit", so all you should need to do is push it in firmly and turn it slightly as you do so, and it should snug up fine - (it should not seat completely flush which is normal).
Old 12-18-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
I’ve had good luck with Martin end pins staying in.
Likewise. I push firmly and twist slightly. I have never had one come out on stage or at home, but it is possible. Therefore, I never sling one without holding onto the back of the neck for security. That protects you in case the straps slips off a pin as well.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:16 PM

Thank you all very much. I have no plans to ream the hole or anything of the like but I did notice what looked like threads inside the hole and didn’t know why they were there. Of course, I could have been mistaken about that. I inserted and slightly twisted the end pin on the day I bought her so I guess all is good.

I’d just never come across these before.

One last question however:

Since I love the tone so well, I plan to keep lifespan strings on her but since I’ve started using the “ Taylor” method of stringing my guitars, I was wondering if that would work with these strings. I’ve read that round core-wire strings will unravel if I cut them prior to wrapping them onto the post.

Any suggestions?

Thank you all again,
PJ

Last edited by Photojeep; 12-19-2017 at 11:08 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion