The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2017, 12:49 PM

Arrow Repair a condenser mic (RODE M5)?

Hi, I bought a match pair of Rode M5 from USA (I'm in Argentina) using the site Sherpals, I got it about less than a month ago.
Thing is, when I first took a look at it in my house, I noticed the XLR input of one of the microphones was "moving" a little, I just assumed it was some kind of safety issue for unplugging move safely without damaging.
Now, when I stopped recording, I unplugged it and when I removed the plug, it also took the intern circuits of it, notice the broken red and green cables:

http://i.imgur.com/gjZLCHI.jpg

The other issue is that the guy who worked for Sherpals told at that moment,in the transaction, that the items bought could not came in the original boxes due to travelling custom restrictions; but the box included warranty and a sticker (not that I care for the sticker too much). He did not give me the warranty, Im trying to contact him now to ask him if he has it... and if he has not well...

I'd like to know if repair it is something anyone can do (no experience with electronics) with some..glue let's say, or it's better to search for some specialized in it, althought I don't know who.

-Generic classical guitar, no electronics (Medium tension strings)
-Taylor GS Mini-E Walnut (0.13 strings)
Mics: Rode M5, match pair, small diaphragm. Also AT2020, large diaphragm.
PC: Win 8, Netbook, 4GB RAM
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Suite
Interface: TASCAM Us-144 MK II
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Last edited by lacatedral; 12-17-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:42 PM

The red and green wires appear to be pulled off the capsule at the grill end of the mic. These were soldered on and to reattached them would require re-soldering. Unfortunately I do not see a way to access the capsule. Hopefully the capsule was not damaged when they were pulled off. Unless you can resolve this with the seller, probably it would be best to contact Rode to see about a repair. Rode has generally been reported to be good about repairs. The reason the connector pulled free from the body of the mic is that there was a screw missing as shown circled in the image linked below. Check your other mic to ensure that screw is there and firmly tightened (do not attempt to tighten too much, just snug).

https://photos.google.com/search/_tr...2ZL3OWmOSmgJcl

Last edited by MarkF_48; 12-17-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:54 PM

Default M5

I had the same thing happen after I'd used it for a year. Rode was outstanding and took it right in and repaired it. No charge, great folks.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:54 AM

Yes there is a set screw that holds the xlr onto
The mic frame. Check that it is still there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
broken, condenser, microphone, repair, rode m5