The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2017, 07:37 AM

Default Small guitar, big sound?

I like the idea of a small guitar to add to my collection, but I just can't find that sound that suits. My current foray into 00 is the Alvarez Delta00DLX/SHB. But the best I've found so far is the Martin dread junior. There seems to me to be a point at which a 00 sounds vastly different from a 000, yet a 000 can get closer to a dread. Is there anything out there with a small body and a big sound? Or am I looking for something that cannot exist?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:47 AM

12 fret triple 0 is the sweet spot sound-wise. Not really all that small tho. Totally different guitar than a 14 fret.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

How small can you go?

A GS Mini (mahogany/sapele version) has an incredibly big sound for a tiny guitar.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-17-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
12 fret triple 0 is the sweet spot sound-wise. Not really all that small tho. Totally different guitar than a 14 fret.
Just picked up a used concert sized Taylor 812CE 12-Fret. Significantly fuller sounds than my 14 fret 312E.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:59 AM

If you're looking for a small guitar with the sound of a dread you're going to be disappointed.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-17-2017, 08:02 AM

Get a mini-Strat. Plug it into a Marshall stack.

Small guitar. Big sound.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
I like the idea of a small guitar to add to my collection, but I just can't find that sound that suits. My current foray into 00 is the Alvarez Delta00DLX/SHB. But the best I've found so far is the Martin dread junior. There seems to me to be a point at which a 00 sounds vastly different from a 000, yet a 000 can get closer to a dread. Is there anything out there with a small body and a big sound? Or am I looking for something that cannot exist?
Depends on what you mean by big sound. An apple doesn't taste like an orange, and a dread doesn't sound like an OM doesn't sound like an 000 doesn't sound like an 00!! And that's before you even talk about bracing and tone woods.

Size matters. If you want dread power, get a dread, if you want OM/000 power get a better OM/000, with Martin GEs and Authentics pack plenty of punch, and there are some deep body 12 fret 000's that can really bark.

Value-wise a used Martin 000-18GE is a powerful guitar. In my opinion there are more pretty good inexpensive dreads than the smaller sizes.

After a lifetime of dreads (been playing 54 years) I have nothing in retirement but Martin OM/000/00's, I do not long for dreads at all. There are great OM/000's out there, my OM-18 Authentic '33 is a beast, keep looking, they're there............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Thinking out of the box wih this one but you can always get a small guitar and add a Tonewood amp to the guitar or get a Yamaha transacoustic 000.

You will get a sound that will be louder then any standard dread or Jumbo
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-17-2017, 08:54 AM

Deep bodied 00. Find the right one and you'll never look back.

Gazza
Old 12-17-2017, 09:10 AM

I thought I was whistling in the wind with this one. However, I still can't get past why there is such a difference in tone from a 00 to a 000. It seems to my ears that at the 000 stage the sound changes from a box with strings to a melodic, toneful, pleading sound.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:18 AM

I am curious why do you like the idea of a small guitar? In my experience I have bought 3 small guitars (Larrivee P03R, Seagull Folk, Halcyon SJ) because I liked the idea and guess what? I learned I don't like small guitars. The small jumbo (OM) sits unplayed and will soon go up for sale. It's a lesson I have learned the hard($$$$) way.
My advice is go cheap and get a feel for the size. It's far cheaper than buying because you simply like the idea.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 12-17-2017, 09:20 AM

Something like a deep bodied 00, or a 12 fret would probably be your best bet. I'd take a look at the Jeff Tweedy 00, and the Taylor 612ce. The Taylor will definitely be boomier, but they're both cool guitars, assuming they're within your budget. If not, you just can't go wrong with a Dreadnought Jr. I've had one for two years now and its never failed me.

Cheers!
Old 12-17-2017, 09:25 AM

Deep bodied 12 fret 0 . Very balanced sound , not boxy and bass heavy like most dreads are to my ear . Very focused projection . 4 7/16" outside at the tail and 3 7/16" at the neck . Just like a small piano .
Old 12-17-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
I thought I was whistling in the wind with this one. However, I still can't get past why there is such a difference in tone from a 00 to a 000. It seems to my ears that at the 000 stage the sound changes from a box with strings to a melodic, toneful, pleading sound.
You haven't played the right guitars.........

Again, I think you need to pay more in the smaller sizes to really get what some of them can offer. I play my CS 00-42 Adi/Madi with a K&K mini more than anything, I like to practice amplified w/vocals like I'm performing, and that little guitar sounds great.

I don't EXPECT the 00 to sound like my OM/000's or them to sound like dreads, different animals, different strengths/weaknesses.

I really don't know why some folks get hung up on this, play what you prefer, compare dreads to other dreads, OM's to other OM's etc., and those comparisons are valuable, not apples to oranges.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:18 AM

The key to proper appreciation of smaller bodied guitars, in my opinion, is not to try to compare them to larger bodied guitars. They will very rarely, if ever have the same booming bass,nor will they be as loud, or as deep sounding as a dread or a jumbo unless amplified.

But I don't care about that -I'm coming to appreciate small bodied guitars for what they are, not what they will never be.

I get a bit jaded when I read "louder than you'd expect from a small body" or "excellent bass for its size" in descriptions of smaller guitars. It's as if the guitar's attributes can only be explained by offering caveats in advance. And it begs the question - if that's what you want in a guitar, loud, projection, deep rich tone and booming bass, why are you looking at a small bodied guitar? Like as not, if that's what you're looking for in a guitar, you're going to be disappointed with 98%+ of the small bodied guitars you try.

But the better small bodied guitars have wonderful and distinctive voices. I love playing them and hearing them and prefer them to larger guitars not only because they're more comfortable, but because I like the way they sound just as they are.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion