The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 PM

Default NGD: Pavan TP-30-64

I have been remiss in posting this guitar (I got it a few months ago), so here it is.
A Pavan TP-30-64. Pavan is the "lower priced" guitars that Tom Prisloe (who builds wonderful Classicals up in New York) has built, to his specs, in Spain. The woods are supplied by Tom, the guitars go back to Tom for tweaking/set up, etc. The TP-30 is the top guitar, available in Cedar or Spruce. The "64" signifies a 640mm scale length and 50mm nut. The regular is TP-30 is 650mm/52mm, as I am mostly a steel string player, I wanted the slighter shorter scale and narrower nut/

The specs:
Spruce top (not sure of species)
EIR back and sides, bridge peghead face
Mahogany neck
Ebony board and ebony reinforced neck (no truss rod)

I have added 2 things to it. JJB Classical guitar pickup (4 sensors) and Rubner tuners with bearings (with cool ivoroid buttons and rollers). The tuners on it were fine, I've gotten spoiled by classical tuners with bearings on the end of the rollers. They are SO much smoother than tuners where the plastic roller sits on the wood.

Enough of that:
Tonally, the guitar is exceptional. It is DEAD balanced and VERY sweet and rich. I would consider volume well above average. The guitar plays easily and quality of workmanship is top notch.
To compare: I have a Cordoba C10, which is a nice guitar, but suffers from the mid-price factory guitar bugaboo....not enough treble response to deal with the bass. Also, we compared it to my long time playing partner's Eric Monrad. We were both pleasantly surprised how the Pavan showed. Clearly the Monrad is MUCH better, but the Pavan held it's own, just lacking the extra "something" that $11,000 guitars have that $1,700 guitar don't.
All in all, if you are looking for a GREAT under $2K guitar, please give Pavan a thought. (And no, I'm not Tom's son!!!!)

Disclaimer: I am NOT a classical guitarist, Chet Atkins is my hero, so this guitar was bought to do Chet style stuff, not classical repertoire.
I'll try to record some stuff tonight so you can hear it.

And the pics:

Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 12-12-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

That's lovely, Jimmy... especially that gorgeous headstock!
Old 12-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Beautiful instrument, Jimmy! I've heard nothing but good things about Prisloe and Pavan guitars. Love the Rubner tuners you put on the guitar...classy and they fit the look of the entire guitar.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:48 AM

Sweet guitar! Congrats.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:37 PM

That is a Beautiful guitar, Sir! Funny, I was just watching some Jerry Reed footage recently. He played a LOT of great stuff on nylon strings.... I think he favored a Baldwin back in the 60s. Nylon can be great with a wide variety of music. Chet and Jerry are great examples....
Old 12-14-2017, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I used to have a TP-30-64 and loved it. I liked it so much, I wanted more. So I set out to see if I could find something "better." Well, I searched for about two years and had to spend about three times the price of the Pavan. I ended up with a Kenny Hill Master Series Rodriguez 640mm. Even then, the difference between the two was quite subtle. Pavans are wonderful guitars.

I've seen a lot of discussion on the 'net of people trying to determine who in Spain builds them. Most speculation was on Esteve or Alhambra, but I don't believe anyone knows for sure. Whoever it is does a great job.
-Bob
Old 12-14-2017, 08:07 PM

When looking for a lower-priced but good classical many years ago, I did order a Pavan from Mr. Prisloe. I ended sending it back because I found what I thought were some build imperfections. Being new to decent classicals (having only played my first guitar, a cheap Aria) I may have been mistaken in my assessment but I wasn't comfortable with it.

Prisloe was definitely true to his word about returns I must say. I now have a Hill Guitars New World Player, bet were I in the market again for a guitar in this price range, I'd probably take a look at the Pavan again.

If you do get a chance to post some audio or a video I'd love to hear it.

By the way, I'm not a classical player either and mainly play fold and pop songs such as those by the late great Michael Johnson, whose go-to guitar was always a classical.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 12-20-2017, 02:40 PM

Default Nice.....

Already sent a PM to Jimmy.... great post.... interested in this guitar and Tom Prisloe the builder of Pavan.

Have been on the search for "the" nylon for 30 plus years.

Jose Oribe, Kenny Hill, Cordoba... Oribe was not good, Kenny / Ruck model sounded great, neck shape / width, was not good, a herculean effort to play.

Played a Kohno I liked years ago, neck was not wide, maybe a 50-51 mm. C shape neck, and very low profile...

Also played a Chace Miller, was similar.....

I thought 48 mm would be the answer, but in a full size nylon, it still feels narrow....My old GK Pro had a 50 mm nut, seems like the sweet spot...

Last edited by macnylonguitar; 12-22-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:01 AM

Pavan are great guitars, especially for what they cost. I have the same Rubner tuning machines. I beeswaxed the holes for the rollers. Now they turn effortlessly as if they have roller bearings.

Congrats.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:09 AM

Default Pavan Tp-30-64, etc.....

How do you like the 640 mm scale?, and 50 mm nut.

I'll bet the 640 mm is unnoticeable, (volume wise).

I'll also bet stretches of five plus frets are easier.

the 50 mm, has to be nice, comfortable.... how is the neck shape otherwise?

thx, John
Old 12-22-2017, 11:19 AM

Default Beeswax...

Awesome idea on the beeswax, no need I guess for the roller bearings...
Old 12-28-2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnylonguitar View Post
Awesome idea on the beeswax, no need I guess for the roller bearings...
I cannot take credit for that idea; it came from someone in the Classical Guitar Delcamp Forum.

It works very very well, as well as roller bearings, in my estimation.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Nice, Jimmy. Good guitar for the $$$.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical