The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-12-2017, 06:02 AM

Default Listening list

I am new to the classics...I have been living in the folk, rock, pop world for years and have discovered the beauty of the classic solo guitar. Can you recommend additions to my classical solo guitar listening list. I have Segovia, Elliot Fisk, John Williams, Jullian Bream, Ana Vodovic.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

That's a good list, although (blasphemy) I was never a big fan of Segovia.
Who comes to mind:
Manuel Barrueco (one of the best musical players there is imo, he can really make the guitar sing), David Russell, the lesser known and vastly underrated English guitarist John Mills.
I would also add in there 10 string guitar virtuoso Narciso Yepes.
If you're into the keyboard sonatas of Domenico Scarlatti transcribed for guitar, one of the best I've ever heard is Leo Brouwer, most notable as a composer, but a great player too.
Pepe Romero is looked up to by many established artists, and has taught many of them.
Andrew York, and his former LA guitar quartet, are all great players and musicians.
And I'd bet you would like Muriel Anderson. She also blends or fuses many styles on the nylon string guitar.
I'm sure I've left out many noteworthy players, but spend a bit of time on YouTube and you'll come across much lesser known names who are outstanding. Lots of bad ones too, but you can let your ear guide you!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-12-2017, 09:40 AM

Tatyana Ryzhkova is my current favorite.

Per-Olov Kingren plays some wonderful classical / Romantic pieces.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 12-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Don't know if he's your cup of tea, but I've listened to a lot of Christopher Parkening over the years.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
I am new to the classics...I have been living in the folk, rock, pop world for years and have discovered the beauty of the classic solo guitar. Can you recommend additions to my classical solo guitar listening list. I have Segovia, Elliot Fisk, John Williams, Jullian Bream, Ana Vodovic.
Check out this link. You'll see/hear tons of amazing players: https://www.youtube.com/user/SiccasGuitars
Old 12-12-2017, 03:00 PM

The increasing number of great guitarist is nothing less than overwhelming for me. Back in the day when I first started listening, it was far more manageable. Having said that, even then was difficult to know where to begin. I suggest just listening and letting the chain reaction take off. Embrace what you like, and seek more of the same. Don't spend too much time with pieces or players that don't speak well to you.

And I recommend focusing on the composers rather than the performers. It is difficult for me to give any examples without leaving so many others out that are worthy. One of the earliest composers that spoke to me was Heitor Villa Lobos. His solo works are staples in the repertoire, but they were new to me. You might want to listen to his 12 etudes, and his 5 preludes. Another well known composer is Leo Brouwer. Again, lots of his solo guitar compositions are staples of the repertoire. I might recommend first listening to El Decameron Negro, his Sonata for Guitar, and 20 Études Simples. Another composer that spoke to me early on was Nikita Koshkin and his Usher Waltz is a great place to start. To give one more example before I flood this with too much information, Roland Dyens. Libra Sonatine is a staple of the repertoire and the first work of his I ever heard. Okay two more examples. Carlo Domeniconi's Koyunbaba is a favorite among many. And the piece usually makes a great impression to someone into contemporary finger style works.

With technology such as Napster, Spotify, etc. you have the opportunity to hear how artists approach this repertoire differently. And no doubt, you will run across other compositions that will spark your interest in other composers.

One album that really got me into modern playing was one of a former teacher of mine. Ricardo Cobo, Tales for Guitar. This is more than 20 years old now, but played a significant part in the direction guitar has taken. This album is a very good representation from something very new at the time: Players that have elevated the level of the instrument beyond the older and more famous names and who focus on the music and composers of our time.

I really want to mention Marcin Dylla. While there are many great players that I have not yet had a chance to hear, when I first heard him perform, I heard something miles beyond anything I had every heard before. And I had already grown accustomed to newer and greater performers already pushing the boundaries way beyond what was possible on the instrument. A bit of warning though; I'm not sure how well I would have reacted early on to some of the advanced compositions in his repertoire. That was a bit later down the road for my initial chain reaction. Hearing him on stage was absolutely one of the most musical and artistic experiences I've ever had. That man should be conducting orchestras.

If you like contemporary music, and you want to begin exploring what composers are doing today with the guitar, the above might be more than enough to set off that chain reaction. And I've got more recommendations. Lots more.

In closing, take advantage of the modern technology. Take advantage of Napster and / or Spotify. If something doesn't speak to you, move on. There is far more great music out there than any of us will ever have a chance to listen to, heaven forbid take the time to learn! Like what you like and embrace it. Then use that knowledge to seek out more of what you like. No doubt, your folk, rock, and pop took a similar path. And yes, there will be certain players you like. Great. But try to focus on the composers! :-)
Old 12-12-2017, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Scott Tennant and Jason Vieaux are a couple of good ones
Old 12-12-2017, 04:20 PM

Default Naxos

Before unlimited streaming became popular, I purchased a good number of the Naxos cds featuring top classical players. A few that I still play on a regular basis include:
  • Antigoni Goni Laureate Series Guitar
  • Kevin R. Gallagher Laureate Series Guitar Recital
  • Graham Anthony Devine British Guitar Music
  • Graham Anthony Devine Leo Brouwer (two different Brouwer cds)
  • Jason Vieaux Laureate Series Guitar
  • Ricardo Gallen Laureate Series Guitar Recital

...and those a just few recommendations to get you started. The Naxos cds are well recorded and a great bargain. Check 'em out!

Last edited by Dogsnax; 12-12-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:26 AM

I sure agree on Brouwer's Scarlatti, which as far as I know has not made it to
CD.

Three discs I like very much are Bream's 'Nocturnal' from 1993, David
Tanenbaum's 'Lute Masterworks' from 1987, and Nicola Hall's debut CD
from 1991. They might be OOP, but are worth tracking down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical