The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2017, 09:31 PM

Talking Need a advice from those who have installed a JJB 330/K&K Pure Mini

Later this week I'll be installing a JJB Prestige 330 (similar to K&K Pure Mini) on my 000 and I was wondering if there are any silly mistakes that others made while installing these that I should be aware of (so that I can avoid similar mistakes). I've read all the literature on how to test the location of the piezos and how to permanently secure them, but I would also appreciate any info you can give me on what pickup placement gave you the best sound. Did you glue your piezos a little ahead of the saddle? Maybe you glued them just behind the saddle? Did you find good balance when placing each piezo directly in the center of each string pair, or did you offset any of the piezo's to account for a perceived imbalance between strings? I suppose that what I'm looking for is a head start on figuring out the piezo placement and having other peoples work to reference. I'm having nightmares about testing several locations, gluing the piezos in JUUUUUST the right spot, and then hating it once I plug it in.

The guitar is a Cedar Top 000 with .013 80/20 strings and an endpin preamp
Old 12-11-2017, 09:33 PM

You can get some 3M double-stick adhesive (which is what JJB sends with its 220 pickups) and temporary stick them in there before you commit.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Below is the diagram for installing my Ultra Tonic Pickup elements. The 4 small discs are where I would recommend you install your K&K Pure Mini discs. The 4th (small) one is optional, but almost always makes the string balance better. Whether they are all slightly ahead of the saddle center line or slightly behind doesn't seem to matter much. But I would make sure at least part of the discs are directly below the saddle center. In case you wonder, the large 5th disc is a feedback cancelling disc in my system that makes your guitar highly immune to feedback.

For temp positioning, 3M 254 double sided tape works well, as does commonly available double sided carpet tape.

UTP Pickup Locations.jpg
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 12-11-2017, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

I've installed several JJB 330's quite successfully using this method: http://www.cavalierpickups.com/frettech/kk/index.html. As far as placement of the piezos, I have typically put the one that is supposed to be between the B and high E strings, right over the high E, which is noted in the instructions at the above link. Again, I've had great results, and the JJB 330 is a great pickup.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:29 PM

I installed the K&K Mini on my Larrivee OM last year.

Just take it slow and follow the directions. It's really not hard at all.
It helped to watch a couple video on Youtube too..

If I can do it... You can do it !
Old 12-15-2017, 08:37 AM

I installed one last weekend on a gs mini. Be careful when using the piece of cardboard method as a guide that the piezos are flush with each other on the cardboard as the wires into the piezo make a little hump on the back and they won't seat flush. I had one that wasn't flush and it popped off and had to be reglued and hand applied. I followed the placement instructions and so far my son is pleased with the sound. Not hard at all.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:04 AM

Be careful with the glue

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification