The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 AM

Default Taylor 214 vs Yamaha ll16?

Im looking either ordering the Taylor 214 or a Yamaha ll16. Which do you think is the overall best guitar in playability and tone?

The yamaha is cheaper and seems better value being all solid and both come with a soft hard case.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:28 AM
Charter Member

have only played the taylor, and i wasn't impressed - i actually prefer the 114 to tje 214. if it were me, i'd order the yamaha from some store with a great return/exchange policy. that way, if i didn't like it, it would be an easy exchange.

btw, why those 2 particular guitars?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozor View Post
Im looking either ordering the Taylor 214 or a Yamaha ll16. Which do you think is the overall best guitar in playability and tone?

The yamaha is cheaper and seems better value being all solid and both come with a soft hard case.
Used to own a 214CE and still own a LS 16. But if I am to choose, I'll pick the 214 CE anyday. Mostly for the great Taylor neck profile and tone balance across strings although I know the Taylor is a laminate back while the LS 16 is all solid.

On your case, the 214 to a LL16 is not a fair comparison as the LL16 is a dread while the 214 is a GA.

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

2014 Cordoba Fusion 12 Natural

YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/hendragunawanng
Old 05-10-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
btw, why those 2 particular guitars?
Because there in my price range and I havent come across anything else that is any good. Whether its low end martins/seaguls, second hand breedloves I didnt like any of them. Breedlove had best feel but sounded dull. Takemines was alright but overpriced for what they are.

And the yamaha is the ideal spec I wanted, solid wood ebony fingerboard, plus it looks great on top of that. Whilst comparing it to the Taylor, all I can see is your paying an extra £150 for the name. Or am I wrong?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:57 AM

The LL16 would be my choice without question: Better tone, more volume, solid wood, gloss finish and equal quality.

The L Series have a 1.75" nut and come in 3 body sizes: dread, OM and jumbo (LL16, LS16 and LJ16).

If you want a Taylor GA spend a little more and get the GA3 or GA4. You will have to if you want a guitar along the same line as an LL Yamaha.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman View Post
The LL16 would be my choice without question: Better tone, more volume, solid wood, gloss finish and equal quality.

The L Series have a 1.75" nut and come in 3 body sizes: dread, OM and jumbo (LL16, LS16 and LJ16).

If you want a Taylor GA spend a little more and get the GA3 or GA4. You will have to if you want a guitar along the same line as an LL Yamaha.
I ordered the LL16 today so should get it within next couple days. I did read all threads on this forum regarding it and it seems a wise choice. So thanks.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:21 PM

I have an LL16 12 that I recently purchased that I have become quite pleased with. I think you will be happy. The L series Yamaha's are really nice compared to the lower end models. But, then, IMHO the Lower end Yammies sound really great too, for the price.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

try blueridge and recording king all solid guitars - great values, great tone. and try and find some eastman guitars to play - not their bottom of the line models, but the rest are stellar. amazing value, amazing quality, such great tone!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
try blueridge and recording king all solid guitars - great values, great tone. and try and find some eastman guitars to play - not their bottom of the line models, but the rest are stellar. amazing value, amazing quality, such great tone!
He said he ordered the LL16 today.

I think he made a great choice.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozor View Post
I ordered the LL16 today so should get it within next couple days. I did read all threads on this forum regarding it and it seems a wise choice. So thanks.
Yamaha makes great guitars.

I love my LL16.

Hope you enjoy yours.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:47 PM

Here in San Diego I couldn't find any Yamaha L-series guitars... it's like they're mythical, or maybe at the end of their model run?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

i know - can't find 'em in l.a., either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerteddybear View Post
Here in San Diego I couldn't find any Yamaha L-series guitars... it's like they're mythical, or maybe at the end of their model run?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 AM

Well I got it through earlier on today and I am very pleased. Without even palying this guitar I took a big risk based on reviews, and i tried out every brand out there in the process.

This is like a cross between a martin and a taylor as far as tone goes and sounds amazing. The action needs to go down a bit, and some cosmetic mesh inside the guitar but who looks in there anyway.

Overall Its a great guitar and spec for the money and cant fault it.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
How would you describe the Eastman tone? Bright Warm? Do they make an OM size?
Jack
Old 05-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convert66 View Post
I have an LL16 12 that I recently purchased that I have become quite pleased with. I think you will be happy. The L series Yamaha's are really nice compared to the lower end models. But, then, IMHO the Lower end Yammies sound really great too, for the price.
Is there a noticeable difference between the lower end yamaha's and the L series guitars? I own a fg700s and am very happy with it for now but will consider an upgrade in a couple of years and was reading about them, plus they look like pure quality too. also are they made in Japan the higher end L series or are all the L series from there? Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion