The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2017, 10:44 AM

Default GOTOH SXN510V Tuners For a Blueridge BR-160A

Hello. Do any of you have experience with the new GOTOH SXN510V-06M tuners with the threaded bushings? I want to upgrade the tuners on my Blueridge BR-160A and these seem like a good choice. Thanks!

Last edited by hearsedriver; 12-17-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

There is a thread on this site titled: is there a best open back tuner . It was discussing these very tuners. Try the search bar at the bottom of the page.
Oh, and welcome to AGF.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:11 PM

[QUOTE=hearsedriver;5571844]Hello. Do any of you have experience with the new GOTOH SXN510V-06M tuners with the threaded bushings? I want to upgrade the tuners on my Blueridge BR-160A and these seem like a good choice. Thanks!

I've never installed that particular tuner, but I've installed Grover Sta Tites to 3 different Blueridge guitars, they drop in and fit perfectly. Be extremely careful removing the old tuners. I chipped the headstock on all three. I feel like the tuners were put in before the poly cured. I tried carefully scoring each tuner, still got a few chips.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I have a set of these on my Alvarez Blues51, professionally installed a few months ago. Tension varies between them and generally is on the stiff side. Perhaps I've been spoiled by the open-gear Hipshots that I use on electrics, which work as well as the best sealed tuners. These don't come close, although maybe they'll break in over time.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:21 PM

Thanks or the information and the welcome. I think I'll give the Gotohs a try and will report back with my thoughts. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2018, 07:57 PM

What was the verdict with the tuners? Did they workout?
Old 01-23-2018, 08:48 PM

These are not designed to replace tuners that use press bushings. These are used in place of Rotomatics. You probably need the press bushing version of the same tuner. Those are very nice by the way.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
These are not designed to replace tuners that use press bushings. These are used in place of Rotomatics. You probably need the press bushing version of the same tuner. Those are very nice by the way.
Well, that's exactly what I did. Ream the holes from 8.5mm to 10mm and they drop right in. That was my intent and not a mistake.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Element View Post
Well, that's exactly what I did. Ream the holes from 8.5mm to 10mm and they drop right in. That was my intent and not a mistake.

Ah. Very good. I prefer threaded bushings too. I probably would not ream a press bushing headstock for my own use. But, I applaud your fortitude.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion