The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2017, 12:49 PM

Default Digitech Trio Question

At $49 I'm probably going to get one of these, but sort of wondering if the pedal can be used as a basic drum machine without 'learning' a played pattern by just setting the genre, style, and tempo and hit the footswitch to play. The manual doesn't seem to say if it can do this.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
At $49 I'm probably going to get one of these, but sort of wondering if the pedal can be used as a basic drum machine without 'learning' a played pattern by just setting the genre, style, and tempo and hit the footswitch to play. The manual doesn't seem to say if it can do this.
I have the trio+ sampler. This one has memory with flash drive. You could store few pattern. I think the simple trio has no memory. It was a request that was added on the trio+

What you describe is beat buddy. I also have it and I recommend the beatbuddy for drum machine use. They make a smaller non editable version.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I just played through a TINY amp, in the local music store in Corvallis, just before I left for the Holidays...

This thing was REALLY small, but it had a few interesting sounds, and an internal rhythm machine!!! You could vary the beat samples' tempo, and there seemed to be more than a dozen to choose from on the dial...

$60!!! I think it was a Vox... either that or Blackstar...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-20-2017, 06:59 PM

I bought one of these...sent it back. Sounded like a toy. Next.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 01-31-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
I wonder about comments like that because I have both Trio models, have tried other drum machine solutions and loop solutions. The latter includes just trading a high end looper that could take sound files from a computer to its storage and channels.

All the solutions could sound poor or good depending on the speakers alone. Some adjust or change EQ depending on the port (plug) you're using.

If the output coming from my Yamaha THR amp the Trio drums and cymbals sound much like playing iPod or phone or computer through it. There's more definition if I use the output port to an acoustic amp I have. No looper or either Trio have sounded great through my Fender black face amp except the guitar itself.

For the original question, the Trios are really designed to do the learn from chords you play so you'll have an easier or faster route to success if you just play loops from another source if this is not about the smart electronic jamming capability.

The Trios are really great if you understand them. You do need 15-45 min or more of reading or trying.

At first the original Trio seemed the better choice because I had a pro level sophisticated looper and tiny Express XT that's like a Ditto. As a non-pro I traded my complicated high end looper and a kids guitar for the Trio+ and am happy. It us between what I had or have.

If you do it right the + will better sync and ease things over my using separate pedals.

IMO both Trios are winners. The original is a bargain. What looks like a third generation software update has them work well.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:57 PM

I did end up buying a discounted demo TRIO from Sweetwater. For the price it gives me something else other than a drum machine to play along with. Sounds good through a small powered PA speaker. It does take a bit to get the hang of. I had built an FS3X 3 switch box a while back that helps access the functions more easily.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
I did end up buying a discounted demo TRIO from Sweetwater. For the price it gives me something else other than a drum machine to play along with. Sounds good through a small powered PA speaker. It does take a bit to get the hang of. I had built an FS3X 3 switch box a while back that helps access the functions more easily.

Good point on the 3 switch box. I got mine with the full-blown JamMan I traded and it’s been great with the Trio and Trio+.

I know of the dropped price but did not know the original Trio is discontinued. If $50’s the new price or street price, I say go for one even though I’m really pleased with the Trio+ being more looper than the Express or Ditto yet simple plus drum machine.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:15 PM

I gave up on the beat buddy and went for the simplistic BOSS DS01.
Very easy to use and good sounds, especially if you want acoustic hand drums for solo work.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I gave up on the beat buddy and went for the simplistic BOSS DS01.
Very easy to use and good sounds, especially if you want acoustic hand drums for solo work.
How is the volume of the DR-01s by itself without running it into an amp? I do like simplicity
Old 02-02-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
Sounds fantastic through my Loudbox Performer.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Sounds fantastic through my Loudbox Performer.

People are funny in so many ways. The expectations vary so much. I have a very inexpensive Acoustic GC house brand acoustic amp. Simple tuning of it’s knobs and the pedals give me a result that’s much nicer than monitor or high end computer speakers where I practice.

Doing homework to learn about these showed me some use them professionally but I think they’re practice and development tools for most.

The hour+ YouTube video from the German guy is worth getting through to know what these things will do or remind you of all you read if you read all the instructions. Forget whether or not that guy’s style is yours. You’ll see what you can do with the product.

This morning I have the house to myself with crappy weather outside. Guess what I’ll be working with?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification