The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-14-2017, 07:59 AM

Default ToneDexter w/Barbera Soloist:Dry vs Dexterized

https://soundcloud.com/guitaniac/ton...-vs-dexterized

Here are five pairs of dry vs Dexterized playing samples using a Barbera Soloist-equipped guitar with ToneDexter. The guitar is a rosewood/spruce "all solid wood" Greg Bennett model medium jumbo Samick. Its interesting to me that ToneDexter seems to filter out the bit of hum from the passive Soloist pickup. Its also remarkable that I was able to train a good WaveMap with a cheap Behringer omni-directional mic while the furnace was blasting away in the background. ToneDexter seems to do a great job of filtering out the extraneous noise while training.

While I don't care for the Soloist's piezo crispyness with the strumming, I do tend to like the in-your-face quality of its dry sound. I'll probably experiment with recording a Dexterized signal with the character dial on minimum in the future. I used ToneDexter that way when running live sound for a friend yesterday afternoon. His Fishman-equipped Martin sounded remarkably good with a WaveMap which I'd created for another guitar.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:09 AM

This ToneDexter is getting interesting to me.
I would love to try one. I especially liked
what it did to your strumming. Almost compression.
It really cleans it up. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:15 AM

I recorded these samples with ToneDexter's "character" knob on maximum (fully clockwise), but it seems to eliminate the quack just as well with the character Knob on minimum (fully counterclockwise). I tend to like the lower character settings better for live sound. I'm thinking that I should try them out for recording as well. I tend to like an in-your-face picking sound.

I've found that mic position makes a big difference in training WaveMaps with my omni-directional mic. I've gotten a few very unsatisfactory WaveMaps, so I'm learning to use ToneDexter's mic monitoring function more to find a "sweet spot" mic position.

When it comes to direct recordings with ToneDexter, I've tended to prefer the ToneDexter/SBT samples which I've heard. That's why I plan to add a PUTW SBT to this guitar soon.

In the meantime, the ToneDexter/Soloist combo should be good for cutting through in noisy environments. The Soloist is designed to be very feedback resistant. I need that advantage for bare-fingered picking in noisy environments.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:26 AM

I'm blown away by this. The Tonedexter sounds like it's a mic'd guitar.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
I'm blown away by this. The Tonedexter sounds like it's a mic'd guitar.
https://youtu.be/kH9Qs3FZLYc

If you haven't heard this before, this Doug Young demo of ToneDexter is incredibly impressive as well as quite informative. Note that Doug has a very good soundboard pickup (Trance Amulet) in his guitar. When it comes to direct recording, ToneDexter seems to work best (for my taste, at least) with soundboard pickups.

Last edited by guitaniac; 12-14-2017 at 01:59 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification