The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 AM

By way of update, I'm going with Plan A above:
Use Logic Express for recording and basic mixing, then do any post-production audio cleanup on the PC with Audition, which has just such excellent tools (e.g. spectral editing, the healing tool). The Mac and the PC will be on the same network so I can use Audition to work on the file in-place on the Mac. Did a quick experiment today using my Macbook Pro and it worked quite smoothly.
It seems the most straightforward, since both tools will be running natively. Ordered iMac, Logic Express and a nice Firewire cable, so by end of week or so I should be up and running!

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 12-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAllyn View Post
I was actually contemplating doing that last night. Was it the trial/demo that you downloaded, Doug? If we plug our activation key into that, does it turn into the full version?.
I registered my copy with Adobe, so I can just log into adobe and access all my software and registration keys, including re-downloading the software. I'm not sure if the trial and real thing are the same, but in this case, I'm just downloading the product.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:35 PM

You will have a hard time finding a better wave editor than Audition. It's been a favourite of the production world for good reason.

There is a poster over on the AudioMasters Forum (unofficial Syntrillium/Audition site) that uses it almost exclusively (he regularly reports trying out the new "greatest thing" software, only to find that it falls short) to clean up old recordings from the vaults of the great European classical labels. He has a stack of awards as a result of his work.

An interesting story... Andrew was contacted by Gramophone Magazine to determine the authenticity of Joyce Hatto recordings. Using Audition, he was able to reveal the great Hatto Hoax, something that had the Classical world all a buzz.

I think if you are into midi or VSTI you owe it to yourself to look around, but for most work Audition can hang with the best.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
You will have a hard time finding a better wave editor than Audition. It's been a favourite of the production world for good reason.
Yep, Audition is what kept me on a PC for ages.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

There is a poster over on the AudioMasters Forum (unofficial Syntrillium/Audition site) that uses it almost exclusively (he regularly reports trying out the new "greatest thing" software, only to find that it falls short) to clean up old recordings from the vaults of the great European classical labels. He has a stack of awards as a result of his work.

An interesting story... Andrew was contacted by Gramophone Magazine to determine the authenticity of Joyce Hatto recordings. Using Audition, he was able to reveal the great Hatto Hoax, something that had the Classical world all a buzz.

I think if you are into midi or VSTI you owe it to yourself to look around, but for most work Audition can hang with the best.
Great perspective, thanks. Hope I don't one day discover that my own recordings are hoaxes too. But wait, that would explain a lot....

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post

I spent several hours last night learning about "take" comping, which is very impressive. Basically a way to do multiple takes, and then select the best parts of each take and put them together. Problem is, there's a huge assumption that your takes are in sync. If you're playing with a click track, or with a band, and just doing an alternate vocal or a guitar solo, or something, this is really nice! If you're playing a solo guitar piece, rubato, then it's not only useless, but it adds some complexity that gets in the way - I was stuck trying to do something as simple as trim the head and tail off my track. I did finally find the button to turn "takes" off - right under my nose, of course! (I have this feeling it could still be useful for solo guitar, just have to figure out the workflow for tracks that aren't locked to a click track)
I feel the same way about the quick swipe comping feature. Really if you are just doing one track, but i was thinking about how you recorded me, two stereo tracks with four mics. I think i would have a hard time editing all that and keeping it lined up using comping drop down menu. I am glad to read that you can turn that feature off it needed.

Anton

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD