The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-29-2018, 08:32 PM

Nice to hear that and it was nice to meet her as well - please tell her for me. Cory was pretty taken with your work and my wife really liked the photo of the laurel guitar.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yay Karen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks Matthew, Back home now and back in the shop. The show was wonderful!

My wife Karen was in there helping me out. She was getting her guitar talk chops down. Friday night we attended a get together for a Lifetime Award presentation to Linda Manzer. Karen was very taken with the wonderful sense of community in the room and now has a better understanding of one of the many ways I love being a luthier.
Yay for Karen!!!
The Luthiers I know are all spectacular human beings in the best sense! Glad it was a blast. Hope you sold a couple...
Cheers
Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-29-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks Matthew, Back home now and back in the shop. The show was wonderful!

My wife Karen was in there helping me out. She was getting her guitar talk chops down. Friday night we attended a get together for a Lifetime Award presentation to Linda Manzer. Karen was very taken with the wonderful sense of community in the room and now has a better understanding of one of the many ways I love being a luthier.
Mark, it was a pleasure to finally meet you and your lovely wife! You weren't around my first go-around the past weekend, but she was so excited and proud of your work! Your guitars are as beautiful in-person as they are in the pics here!
Old 10-30-2018, 01:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Nice to hear that and it was nice to meet her as well - please tell her for me. Cory was pretty taken with your work and my wife really liked the photo of the laurel guitar.
It was great to catch up with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Yay for Karen!!!
The Luthiers I know are all spectacular human beings in the best sense! Glad it was a blast. Hope you sold a couple...
Cheers
Paul
Thanks Paul, The whole community of builders and players are a wonderful group. It was also wonderful to go three days with that many people and not hear any talk of politics! I've got some orders coming and a number of folks are coming out to the my studio. Busy times ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Mark, it was a pleasure to finally meet you and your lovely wife! You weren't around my first go-around the past weekend, but she was so excited and proud of your work! Your guitars are as beautiful in-person as they are in the pics here!
Thanks, it was great to meet you too! I never heard my wife say so many nice things about me!

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 10-30-2018, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Mark, it was a genuine pleasure meeting you and playing that cedar SJ you brought. Really changed my mind about the potential of cedar in the hands of a great builder. I'll be emailing you soon.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 10-30-2018, 02:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Mark, it was a genuine pleasure meeting you and playing that cedar SJ you brought. Really changed my mind about the potential of cedar in the hands of a great builder. I'll be emailing you soon.
Dustin I enjoyed hearing you play that guitar! I look forward to working with you.

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 10-30-2018, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
That was a wonderful guitar! It surprised me as well.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-31-2018, 01:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
That was a wonderful guitar! It surprised me as well.

Thanks Mike! Cedar on Indian Rosewood are both underrated woods. Combined their qualities can't be ignored.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mike! Cedar on Indian Rosewood are both underrated woods. Combined their qualities can't be ignored.
I’m a believer! Mark’s lattice bracing combined with this wood combination creates a most amazingly responsive and tonally dynamic guitar.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-10-2018, 08:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default New Woods

We're reaching the end of the year and it's getting on time to close out this Studio 2018 thread. I thought a nice finish would be to show off some of the great woods I've been getting lately.

I just came across a couple of nicely cut and beautifully figured Tigerwood or Goncalo Alves boards:

I started re-sawing them and am pretty sure I will be going back for some more!

On the domestic wood front I happened across this very unusually figured and colored Claro Walnut set:

Another great domestic that I've been stocking up on is Myrtle:

Thanks everyone for your comments along the way. I'll start up the Hatcher Studio 2019 in a couple weeks.

Mark

Old 12-10-2018, 04:43 PM

Goncalo Alves, very under rated. I have a Custom NAMM Martin with GA back and sides and Alpine top. It is 0-14 body and it just jumps alive at the lightest touch. Extremely articulate. Plays much larger than it is. Can't wait to see this build Mark.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross748 View Post
Goncalo Alves, very under rated. I have a Custom NAMM Martin with GA back and sides and Alpine top. It is 0-14 body and it just jumps alive at the lightest touch. Extremely articulate. Plays much larger than it is. Can't wait to see this build Mark.

Looking at the back of that guitar it’s easy to see why Goncalo Alves is also called Tigerwood. Thanks for showing that!

Mark

Old 12-30-2018, 07:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Happy New Year!

Time to wrap up this thread and say Happy New Year everyone! I’m looking forward to digging into the builds I have scheduled and new ideas I want to try. I am diligently working on my new website and hope to introduce it in January. I plan to hold my current rates into this upcoming year.

2018 has been a very good year for me. Some of the highlights were:

The Woodstock Invitational Luthier’s Showcase which introduced me to, in person, to so many great folks here on the forum and many fellow builders as well. It’s a great community I’m proud to be part of.

The introduction of my new Woodsman model has been an unexpectedly exciting adventure into traditional designs and techniques which has expanded my perception of what guitar building is and can be.

Reorders continue to thrill me. It’s a great compliment to receive second orders from existing clients. What can I say, I hope that’s a compliment I just keep getting!

I had a lot of attention in the media this past year including: Acoustic Guitar, Premier Guitar and The Fretboard Jounal magazines. As well as the recent Guild of American Luthiers magazine.

Adventures in domestic woods. What started as a way to accommodate for new CITES restrictions has pulled the door wide open for some very exciting woods and new possibilities in both design and sound.

Happy New Year!
Mark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop