The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Taylor or Martin?

Ok, so I'm looking to buy a new guitar and I've narrowed my choices down to the Taylor 415ce and the Martin JC-16 RGT. I was wondering if anyone who has experience with either of these guitars could tell about some of the pros and cons of each. Any experience you've had with either guitar would be graet, but I have two questions particularly in regards to the electronics. How does the ES on the Taylor compare to the Fishman on the Martin? Also in regards to sound quality my brother bought a 315ce and the guitar is amazing unplugged with some great low tones. The only problem is that when he amplifies the guitar, the lower tones overpower the mids. Has anyone else experienced this with the Taylor jumbos? Is this a problem with all jumbos? I haven't run either through amplification yet (only played each at Guitar Center), but I'm leaning towards the taylor because I think it has a slightly fuller sound. Which sounds better amplified? Thanks in advance for helping me out!

Last edited by BulletTooth; 05-11-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:20 PM

Welcome to the AGF family, BulletTooth! You do realize that you posed your
question here on the Taylor section of the forum, don't you?

Which sounds better plugged in? That really depends on a lot of things other than the guitars themselves - the pickups, the preamps, eq, the amps/PA, etc. Even the cables can be a factor. My two cents would be to get the guitar that sounds better acoustically and feels better to your hands. In my case, it's the Taylor in both regards. Going from there is relatively easy.

By the way, you are not limited to just the Fishman or the ES. You can buy a guitar without electronics and add them later, which gives you a wide range of choices.

Good to have you with us!

cotten
Old 05-11-2006, 03:34 PM

filet or ribeye?

Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 05-11-2006, 03:37 PM
In The Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedstr
filet or ribeye?

I go with the ribeye every time... I think the ribeye has more fat, hence more flavor...

- Devin
Isaiah 38:20
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 05-11-2006, 03:56 PM

I think that Taylor has the jumbo market covered. I like the Gibson jumbos too, but Taylor wins this body style.

I would get the 315 over the 415, just because I like the tone better from that wood combo.

I would also get it without the ES and add a better pickup system later. Like Cotten said, get the acoustic tone you want, and then find a pickup system that you like. I personally like B-Band and K&K.
1956 Martin Gut String
1954 Martin 000-28 (Brazilian)
Old 05-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

I find the Martin J series to be incredibly well-balanced overall. I like the Taylor more aesthetically, but if I were to go strictly by sound, I'd go J series in general, and I'd want to compare them directly to be sure.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 05-11-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studyscoot
...I would also get it without the ES and add a better pickup system later...
Many would argue that there is no better system than the ES yet it is all a matter of personal preference. My position is that any system using a piezo electric pickup is at a distinct disadvantage when compared to the ES.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin
I go with the ribeye every time... I think the ribeye has more fat, hence more flavor...

- Devin
Can I have a Porterhouse instead.
'09 CA Guitars X
'09 CA Guitars Custom OX
Old 05-11-2006, 05:28 PM

I have an easy (but expensive) answer for you, BulletTooth. Why decide between the two? BUY THEM BOTH!!!
For my money, they're both very nice guitars. You're going to have to try them both. The martin will most likely have the "Martin" sound, and the Taylor will sound like a Taylor. Unplugged, it's a matter of what you prefer. Plugged in, however, IMO that beautiful, rich Martin sound can get in the way. Plugged in, I'd go with the Taylor. (Actually, most of the time I'd go with the Taylor unplugged, too, but thats just me) I'm not out to insult Martin. They make great guitars, and someday I'll own another one. Personally, if I couldn't own both, I'd go with the Taylor, but that's just my $0.02. Good luck!!

610e, 914CE-L1, 354-CE LTD (Maple!), baby, Taylor Classic Electric Guitar, Vox AC30CC2, Fender J-Bass, Carvin AD100D, Takamine Classical, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX F tuba, Conn 2J CC tuba
Gone but not forgotten: 810e, AB-1, 414-CE, Epi Les Paul Custom Flametop, Miraphone 188
Old 05-11-2006, 05:40 PM

By them both... great idea! If I had that kind of money, I'ld be all over that!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:29 PM

Get the Taylor. They are better.

Guitars I miss:

2015 Taylor 320
2004 Taylor 814ce L-7 Cocobolo

2003 Taylor 414ce L-5 Rosewood
2003 Taylor 314ce L-1 Koa

2001 Taylor 410 LOTF Koa
1998 Taylor 310

Pictures of Guitars!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmith
Get the Taylor. They are better.
Except for the Martins that are better.

Actually, get a Santa Cruz or a Collings.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 05-11-2006, 09:08 PM

Taylor or Martin, Dodge or Chevy, Blondes or Brunettes all real good questions with no wrong answers. I have a Taylor 815c (1994) and A good friend of mine has a Late 70's Hd28 Martin, Both sound amazing to me. Would I trade for that Martin ?NoWay, and He would tell you the same as for the Taylor. I think just go and play as many as each as you can until you convince yourself and then buy the Taylor (lol as stated this is a Taylor forum) JK buy the one that suites you, Most people here will still talk to you if you choose the Martin Welcom aboard
Old 05-11-2006, 09:40 PM

I don`t know if the 415 is a pre 06 model or not. If it is then it is not revoiced and I would tend to say from my experience the martin will sound better. I am a big Taylor fan but a good friend of mine a few years ago after someone seeing the annointing he had for leading worship told him to go up to Daves Guitar Shop in LaCrosse WI and pick out ANY guitar you like.Money was NO object. He spent several hours there and came home with a Jumbo 16 series rosewwod. His is a more elegant model w/ gold tuners and abalone rosette. Was not by any means the most expensive but is an amazing sounding guitar! I will take it over any Martin I have played!

To me it is richer than any of the lower end 400series and down taylors I have had. Now I have not played a new revoiced 415. The Martin does have a Fishman blender w/internal mic. I do like my ES better for natural tones at higher volumes but at lower volumes he gets some awesome sound with the blender when he brings in the mic. He is a big Phil Keaggy fan and his playing style actually lends towards the blender better than the ES.

He has a line 6 delay box w/ 14 sec looper and does some wild stuff with that including sound into the soundhole that you just CAN`T do on the ES!!

so ( please don`t let any one know I am saying this or I hope my friend doesn`t find out lol ) from the older 415s I would take the Martin over it. BUT that is because of the Martin I heard and HAVE played!!!

Ply them both and choose. I like the ES very much but you can do alot more neat things with the blender

Lee
Old 05-12-2006, 06:50 AM

I'd get the Martin...however, i'm not you. I don't think you can go wrong either way

14fret 0
12fret 000

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion