The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2011, 02:12 PM

Default If You Could Have One Of These Three Guitars, Which Would You Choose?

Martin HD-28-VS, Martin D-18VS or a Dana Bourgeois Vintage D/Adi Top. Yep, I know, the Martins are 12 fret and the Bourgeois is a 14 fret, but these are the three I'm looking at.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:15 PM

I own a D-18VS and a Bourgeois. They are very,very different. What are you going to do with it, how will you play, what will you play, solo, small group , large group?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Dana Bourgeois Vintage D
Old 06-21-2011, 02:16 PM

D-18VS for me simply because I prefer mahogany over rosewood.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 06-21-2011, 02:21 PM

Whichever one has a round neck and is easier to reach around with my right shoulder.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 06-21-2011, 02:25 PM

All very different instruments. Whichever sounds best to your ears, in context of how you expect to use the instrument, and also feels best in your hands...that's the best one.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM

which ever one i liked the best after I PLAYED ALL THREE!!!!!!!!!

bill
Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Dana Bourgeois Vintage D
Love mine!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:54 PM

Default I suppose it depends

For me, it would come down to which one felt and sounded the best (profound, I know). I don't play much that requires access above the 12th fret, so that's not an issue for me. I have played some fantastic sounding 12 fret dreads (mostly Collings sitka/eir), but I've never played a bad Bourgeois either. I think I just prefer the tone and resonance (sp?) of a 12 fret body in some cases. Not much help I guess, but I'd think those three would be different enough that one would speak up and call to you more than the other two. The Martin 12 fret necks can be a bit big (if I remember correctly) but if that's not an issue for you...

Gibson A2Z (1924), KoAloha Concert, Petersen Bouzouki, Squier Tele
Too many humidifiers
Old 06-21-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I own a D-18VS and a Bourgeois. They are very,very different. What are you going to do with it, how will you play, what will you play, solo, small group , large group?
So here's the deal. I'm looking for a dred with good bass response, good volume, responsive, not to bright on the top end, decent balance, good sustain, not muddy, mic's well, and is equally good for finger style and strumming with a little flat picking thrown in. I mostly play for myself at home, but do get together with friends and jam.

I've owned quit a few Taylor's over the last eight years or so. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Taylor's for the most part and still do. I just want something with a bigger sound. I'd love to play all three, but that would take me ordering all three and returning what I don't want. I can't find any of them locally. I know they are very different from each other, but these are the three that caught my ear while cruising sound clips and youtube.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny1948golf View Post
So here's the deal. I'm looking for a dred with good bass response, good volume, responsive, not to bright on the top end, decent balance, good sustain, not muddy, mic's well, and is equally good for finger style and strumming with a little flat picking thrown in. I mostly play for myself at home, but do get together with friends and jam.

I've owned quit a few Taylor's over the last eight years or so. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Taylor's for the most part and still do. I just want something with a bigger sound. I'd love to play all three, but that would take me ordering all three and returning what I don't want. I can't find any of them locally. I know they are very different form each other, but these are the three that caught my ear while cruising sound clips and youtube.
The Martins will excel at giving you a big, wide sound. I use mine when playing duos or small groups to fill in all the sonic holes. If you go that way, the 18 might be a better fit than the 28. The Bourgeois will excel at clarity, projection, headroom, and balance. They are powerful guitars that will cut through a mix of other instruments with a focused , crystaline tone. If I need to dig in and be heard over several instruments, I'd go Bourgeois. My particular Bourgeois sustains very well compared to my Martins. I often have to do a 4-5 note roll of hammers and pulls and the Bourgeois does not run out of gas making the last note clear and audible.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny1948golf View Post
Martin HD-28-VS, Martin D-18VS or a Dana Bourgeois Vintage D/Adi Top. Yep, I know, the Martins are 12 fret and the Bourgeois is a 14 fret, but these are the three I'm looking at.
Of the many questions like this that appear on the forum, this is one of the more difficult to respond to. Really depends on what sounds and feels good to you.

I don't have the one's you mention, but I do have a D-18V and a Bourgeois Sig D. Very different. I don't amplify much, but the Sig D has great balance for a big MadRose dread -- it would mike well. On the other hand, D-18 is just plain fun.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The Martins will excel at giving you a big, wide sound. I use mine when playing duos or small groups to fill in all the sonic holes. If you go that way, the 18 might be a better fit than the 28. The Bourgeois will excel at clarity, projection, headroom, and balance. They are powerful guitars that will cut through a mix of other instruments with a focused , crystaline tone. If I need to dig in and be heard over several instruments, I'd go Bourgeois. My particular Bourgeois sustains very well compared to my Martins. I often have to do a 4-5 note roll of hammers and pulls and the Bourgeois does not run out of gas making the last note clear and audible.
I have played all 3 and agree with HHP's comments. The two 12-fret Martins, in my opinion, are better for fingerstyle playing whereas the Bourgeois takes more string impact to bring out its sound. I am mainly a fingerstyle player and found that the Bourgeois did not work particularly well for me. Both Martins sounded good played fingerstyle. The D-18VS is a little clearer sounding while the HD-28VS is darker sounding because of all the overtones coming from the rosewood B/S. I liked the HD-28VS and, actually, my wife wanted me to buy it, but I said no, I have enough guitars, including a 000-28VS, which sounds very similar to the HD-28VS.

Have fun!
- Glenn
Old 06-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have played all 3 and agree with HHP's comments. The two 12-fret Martins, in my opinion, are better for fingerstyle playing whereas the Bourgeois takes more string impact to bring out its sound. I am mainly a fingerstyle player and found that the Bourgeois did not work particularly well for me. Both Martins sounded good played fingerstyle. The D-18VS is a little clearer sounding while the HD-28VS is darker sounding because of all the overtones coming from the rosewood B/S. I liked the HD-28VS and, actually, my wife wanted me to buy it, but I said no, I have enough guitars, including a 000-28VS, which sounds very similar to the HD-28VS.

Have fun!
- Glenn
Glenn, I have a Martin HD-28SV coming from MF tomorrow. I also received an email from someone who is selling a D-18VS with the 30's sunburst. He's within a reasonable driving distance (under 100 miles). so I'm going to take the HD-28SV to audition next to the D-18VS. If one or the other really blow my skirt up, I'm done. If not, I'll give the Dana Bourgeois Vintage D with Adi top a go.

One thing you said that surprised me is "Bourgeois takes more string impact to bring out its sound." I talked to Bryan Rankins at Fazio's Frets and Friends today and he told me he finds the Bourgeois's to be very responsive. In fact, he said he has a natural light touch finger style and the Bourgeois's work well for him. Was this one Bourgeois you were talking about, or did you try several.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:43 PM

Here's a decent sample of a Vintage D sound, pick and bare fingers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHsG_vDTmQc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion