The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-10-2003, 08:45 PM

Question Homespun Tapes

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on any of the Homespun Tape courses by Martin Simpson or Steve Kaufman. Got a gift certificate to use and am looking for something new to keep me off the streets until my new 514ce/ES comes in.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2003, 09:17 AM

Don't know about Steve Kaufman, but I bought one of Martin Simpson's tapes and I thought it was excellent. I'm not good enough to play some of the songs on the tape yet, but he's quite clear in his instruction, and what a player!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback Jason. I have several of their courses (Tony Rice Guitar Method & Richard Thompson) and have been impressed with them thus far. Don't feel bad, it's not that I have a real solid command of the material either, but I have picked up a good deal from both of them.

Thanks again
Old 03-12-2003, 01:54 PM

Don't know about the one you are asking, but the Peter Huttlinger "Learning the Songs of John Denver" is amazing!

Great stuff even if you are not a big JD Fan!
Old 03-13-2003, 11:45 PM

The David Wilcox tape is great too. Good progressive instruction with substantial content. A great introduction to alternate tunings. I'm currently working on the Al Peteway Celtic tapes, and enjoying those as well. Very disappointed in the Lawrence Juber tapes, they are clearly level 5, more demonstration than instruction.

K14c Custom
http://home.earthlink.net/~jira/
Old 03-14-2003, 03:22 PM

Default Great thread

Great thread and topic! The instruction tapes / dvds aren't cheap so it's beneficial to hear the feedback. I have a cassette series from Homespun from 20 years ago. Russ Barenburg flatpicking. Great series - good tunes.

I'm thinking about ordering a couple dvds soon and look forward to all the pros and cons. At Homespun's site, they let you sample a little but I prefer hearing the comments from us real life pickers. It's a drag to get an instructional video and then hear about stuff that is of little interest --- it's happened to me a few times.

I am drawn to that Peter Huttlinger "Learning the Songs of John Denver" dvd for some reason. I have heard it's quite good more than a few times. And I'm not a big JD fan --- but his arrangements and guitar were always pretty good.

Thanks!

Last edited by Danzo; 03-15-2003 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2003, 01:34 PM

Default Steve Kaufman

I've been using Steve Kaufman's tapes and CD's for a while now and they are terrific. Steve is not only a great flatpicking champion, but he is a stellar instructor. He really knows how to teach. I started out with his basic flatpicking and rythm videos and then got the rest of the series. It's like having private lessons but you get to hit the rewind button and review at your leasure.

His Parking Lot series of CD's is another plus. These have you playing the leads at beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels.

I then got his "Four Hour Bluegrass Workout." On these, you get to play with the band. He does each selection three times slow and then three times at full speed. The first time through he plays lead and you and the band play rythm. The second and third times through you play lead and the band backs you up. These tapes are great no matter which instrument you play, so you could be a mandolin or banjo player and get a great workout.

My speed, accuracy, and repertoire have grown incredibly over the last six months. I know I sound like a commercial, but I don't have any connection with Kaufman except as a happy student.

I've also got Pete Hutlinger's tapes and CD's and he does a great job of teaching John Denver's music. He was a member of Denver's band for the last four years of John's life. You won't go wrong with these tapes either.

Regards,
Mike Gilles
Old 03-18-2003, 07:35 PM

I just got a new catalog from them yesterday. It looks like they have a lot of stuff on sale.

I have the Keb Mo tape, the John Jackson and a bunch of others. I think they all have been great so far.

I understand a new Chis Proctor tape is coming out fro Homespun this summer I think on 12 string.
Midnight Shadow
Old 03-19-2003, 10:37 PM

Default Steve Kaufman

It's good to hear some positive reactions to Steve Kaufman. I'm going to attend one of his Flatpicking Kamps this June. Really looking forward to picking with people of all levels. Sounds like a great learning opportunity. Was aslo thinking about getting a couple of Steve's "Parkin lot Picker..." series before I go to Kamp. How about the Doc Watson Fingerpicking and Flatpicking videos. Anybody had any experiences with this video?

Taylor 610CE ES
Taylor W10
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Guild F212 12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell