The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2008, 10:45 PM

Default Thoughts on Planet Waves dual action capo

I recently returned my newly bought Planet Waves DA capo for two reasons.

Let's start from the beginning.

The design was great and I was excited to use it. The handles were a bit far apart so it was a bit of a stretch for me. I'm not a small guy either, I would say my hands are average to large sized.

So, i made sure my guitar was in tune and put my capo on. At this point, the capo was very loose and I was going to work my way up to higher tensions.

To my dismay, my guitar actually sounded out of tune and the capo didn't help much with the intonation problem after applying and experimenting with different tensions. I also tried it on varying positions (1st fret, 2nd fret, 6th fret, etc, etc...).

I put a elastic hair-tie around the handles of my Kyser capo to relieve some of the tension and after using an electronic tuner, i found that my modified Kyser and the Planet Waves basically did the same thing, except my Kyser worked better.

That's reason number 1. It just didn't seem worth keeping.

Reason 2:
About 1 minute after using it, i put it on my desk and my brother picked it up. He squeezed the capo to put it on the guitar and random pieces broke and fell off of the capo.

overall - i was not that impressed with the capo. I'm glad some people really like it and thats great for them, but I just didn't see a reason to spend 20 bucks on something I didn't really need.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmike View Post
...Reason 2:
About 1 minute after using it, i put it on my desk and my brother picked it up. He squeezed the capo to put it on the guitar and random pieces broke and fell off of the capo.

overall - i was not that impressed with the capo. I'm glad some people really like it and thats great for them, but I just didn't see a reason to spend 20 bucks on something I didn't really need.
Hi Mike...
Sounds defective to me. You were wise to return a defective capo.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Mike...
Sounds defective to me. You were wise to return a defective capo.
amen to that brother. try a g7th or another dual action. or you can go get some more hair ties. the elastic wears out after a while. =)
Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 PM

I'm sorry you got a bad one

I'm really happy with mine. I don't have big hands at all, I've dated women with bigger hands than me Mine seems quite sturdy although I could see how it might not last forever.

May I suggest a Planet Waves NS capo to you? I like it almost as much as the DA, in fact sometimes I can't make up my mind which I like better.

Perhaps I should change my username to Made In Japan now?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion