The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 AM

I kinda think the reputation of the red-labels has worked against them. Folks started seeing them as "holy grail" guitars and in many cases the prices have gone up beyond their worth, IMHO.
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 05-11-2012, 10:14 AM

Default Labels

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadllama View Post
The very earliest FG-180s had tan labels and "Reinforced Neck" truss rod covers, didn't they? And then the labels were red with the "Yamaha" covers, and then they switched back to tan?
All the early ones were Japanese, and they had Nippon Ghakki on the label, both tan and then red. Then, they were made in Taiwan, with first the red label that does NOT say Nippon Ghakki on it. Those serial numbers started with a T.

Then the labels changed to tan and black, and black on some Taiwan guitars. That might not be all of the colors.
Martin HD-28, 2012-000CNylon
Taylor 310K
Taylor 214CE
Taylor 110
Larrivee D-05
FG-375S
FG-180 (5)
FG-300 (5)
FG-360
FG-350W
APX-10
FG160E
Woodsong K100,SW400
Paul Beard GRE
Many other Yamahas
(25 others- Garrison, Seagull, PRS, Squier 51, Dynamic)

BigMike sez:
I tried to be good, but there were just too many options.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun1 View Post
I vaguely remember something about some old Japanese guitars that have the neck glued on with an epoxy glue, making a neck reset almost impossible - or at least a lot more work. Wasn't Yammies, was it?
Asian Mystery Glue, certainly not HHG. They are dovetails though, not the feared Asian Mystery Joint.

The problem with many Yamahas, is that the mechanical fit of the dovetail is so tight, that the steam locks them up. I don't steam out Yamaha necks anymore, I do a saw-off conversion to a bolt-on.

And, yes, they do like a good JLD install!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:13 PM

all laminates Yamaha FG180 Red Label sounds like $3,000 all-solid wood Martin or Taylor. watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l47Gu4tU0xQ
Old 06-08-2013, 08:21 PM

Yamaha FG180 Red Label was used by singer-songwriter Elliott Smith during the Oscars Awards Night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PcJO81ubI8
Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 PM

Yes, they sound great. I stated in a previous post in this thread I had/have and FG180 and FG230. They were great but need work now. I purchased an FG730s and LS6 for what the neck resets would cost on both. They are solid other wise minus fret wear. Did they/do they sound great, yes, but these two new should last me till I leave the planet.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 AM

I just purchased an FG 180 black label Taiwan. I am aware of the red label NIPPON GAKKI reputation, so when I bought this one my expectations were modest. After some tinkering and restringing I am unable to distinguish the sound quality of it from some of the top shelf guitars I own(ed,) including luthier-built dreads, many Martins, etc. It is mind boggling how an all-laminated guitar can sound this good. It's in great shape with a good neck angle and adequate saddle.
(right click on icon for pics )
I'd like to know the year it was born and have two serial numbers. The one on the neck block: 0834553
on the soundhole brace: 60305500

Dave
Old 06-09-2013, 08:21 PM

Default Fg180

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcowles@comcas View Post
I just purchased an FG 180 black label Taiwan. I am aware of the red label NIPPON GAKKI reputation, so when I bought this one my expectations were modest. After some tinkering and restringing I am unable to distinguish the sound quality of it from some of the top shelf guitars I own(ed,) including luthier-built dreads, many Martins, etc. It is mind boggling how an all-laminated guitar can sound this good. It's in great shape with a good neck angle and adequate saddle.
(right click on icon for pics )
I'd like to know the year it was born and have two serial numbers. The one on the neck block: 0834553
on the soundhole brace: 60305500

Dave
Made March 5, 1976 in Kaohsiung factory, Taiwan. Unit #500. Some have a maple panel, 3 pc back, usually badged fg180-1.

I have a fg180 Nippon Ghakki, a fg180 red label Taiwan, and a black label fg180-1. All sound awesome. Congrats on finding one.
Taylor 310K
Taylor 214CE
Taylor 110
Larrivee D-05
FG-375S
FG-180 (5)
FG-300 (5)
FG-360
FG-350W
APX-10
FG160E
Woodsong K100,SW400
Paul Beard GRE
Many other Yamahas

BigMike sez:
Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 AM

Stardot, thanks for that detailed info. With you just up the interstate in Lutz, we should try to hook up sometime and you could share your collection and knowledge with me.

I took a closer look and there is indeed a "-1" after the 180 on the label. It also has the maple center wedge on the back. The only thing it is lacking is a trussrod cover, needs a refret on the cowboy positions, maybe 4-5 frets, and a plug for the oversize endpin hole and re-drill for standard pin.

Any suggestions on where I could find a trussrod cover for the headstock?

Dave
Old 06-10-2013, 06:33 AM

I never knew those guitars were so sought after, I have an immaculate FG180 in my wardrobe that my father bought me new when I was a kid, to learn on.
The guitar is in perfect condition and has never needed any work, or adjustments, maybe I should get it out!

Ian.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 PM

Default Truss rod cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcowles@comcas View Post
Stardot, thanks for that detailed info. With you just up the interstate in Lutz, we should try to hook up sometime and you could share your collection and knowledge with me.

I took a closer look and there is indeed a "-1" after the 180 on the label. It also has the maple center wedge on the back. The only thing it is lacking is a trussrod cover, needs a refret on the cowboy positions, maybe 4-5 frets, and a plug for the oversize endpin hole and re-drill for standard pin.

Any suggestions on where I could find a trussrod cover for the headstock?

Dave
Might be tricky to get an original for a 180-1, because it's just a plain black cover. The Taiwan 180 used an aluminum/black just like the fg300 guitar. I'd look on eBay, or maybe consider grabbing up a "bad neck" yammie fg guitar for parts.

I'll be around a lot this summer, send me a pm, come up and we'll do lunch and compare guitars.
Taylor 310K
Taylor 214CE
Taylor 110
Larrivee D-05
FG-375S
FG-180 (5)
FG-300 (5)
FG-360
FG-350W
APX-10
FG160E
Woodsong K100,SW400
Paul Beard GRE
Many other Yamahas

BigMike sez:
Old 06-10-2013, 05:43 PM

Default Fg180

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
I never knew those guitars were so sought after, I have an immaculate FG180 in my wardrobe that my father bought me new when I was a kid, to learn on.
The guitar is in perfect condition and has never needed any work, or adjustments, maybe I should get it out!

Ian.
Some are pretty desirable, and you'd probably do well to drag it out and play it again!
Taylor 310K
Taylor 214CE
Taylor 110
Larrivee D-05
FG-375S
FG-180 (5)
FG-300 (5)
FG-360
FG-350W
APX-10
FG160E
Woodsong K100,SW400
Paul Beard GRE
Many other Yamahas

BigMike sez:
Old 06-10-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post

Ian.
If the neck is good Im sure you will like it. My Red label 180 was really great in the tone dept. Both guitars are from 1971 and besides some frett wear and bad neck they are as solid as the day they were bought. And as I had very little info on taking care of them then, they were not looked after at all. Yamaha builds some tough guitars. Get it out and play it!!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 AM

I traded a trumpet plus a little cash for a brand new red label Nippon Gakki Yamaha FG-150 in a Nashville pawn shop in 1972 when I was 15. It was my first good guitar. I wanted a Martin but couldn't afford one and the Yamahas were great Martin clones. I kept that guitar for a long time and even had the neck reset on it - it's not impossible but that neck joint is glued with something really stubborn. I found a luthier who wanted a challenge and didn't charge me a ton of money to do it. Whoever said that using steam wasn't the preferred method of removing the neck is right, my guy used a heat lamp and a lot of patience. Eventually I did get a Martin and a bunch of other nice guitars and I sold the Yamaha to someone else who was looking for a nice inexpensive guitar. I think my story is very similar to a lot of folks who came of age during that time period and learned to play on these red label guitars, and that accounts for their popularity. Today I miss that FG-150 primarily for sentimental reasons, although it would make a great camping guitar...
Old 04-02-2021, 12:02 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
I think the point should be made that Yamaha were copies of other guitar designs. They were well made and of the best laminate woods "at the time". Which is late 1960's into the 1970's. We're talking 40 years ago. It would be fairly narrow minded to think that other guitar companies have not yet copied, or technology not improved on those laminate wood processes over the years.
It's IMO more of a fact than myth that they were more desirable. Right up until just a few years ago. I remember not so long ago (within 10 years) when guitars such as my FG-340 (which is not a Red Label model) were bringing $300.+ on ebay. And Red Label models even more.
Now, not so much. Why? Because you can buy better guitars cheaper. My Yamaha was my #1. right up until I got my all solid Silver Creek. Which blows it away. Even though it is a as compared to other all solid guitars, considered fairly near the low end of the quality scale.
As for Country Joe using a Yamaha at Woodstock. The story is that the guitar didn't belong to Country Joe. He wasn't scheduled on the bill as a performer. But was there as a ticket buying spectator. And when the scheduled bands hadn't arrived on time due to the traffic jam, was asked to fill in. But he didn't have a guitar. So one (the Yamaha) was borrowed from someone in the crowd. And a rope tied to it to use as a strap. So the laminate Yamaha took the stage at Woodstock, not because it was the guitar of choice. But because it was all they had.
I'd say that guitar is worth a fortune now if it's still in one piece that is lol...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion