The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Default R. Taylor

Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions for those of you have R. Taylor or have any knowledge on the company.

So, when you already have decided on what you want, contact the dealer, and put down the deposit...

1. What's the usual turnaround time?
2. How do you keep track on the status of your guitar being built?

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:30 PM

Hi,

Yes. Contact a dealer and place the order. The deposit amount needed will probably vary from dealer to dealer.

The dealer can give you the current R. Taylor time line.

Generally you will get a general idea when the guitar will ship. As that approximate date draws near, the dealer can help pinpoint it better.

I hope that helps!

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 10-06-2011, 06:01 PM

Default R Taylor orders

Hi Vic,
I just ordered an R Taylor recently. As Colbyjack indicated in the previous post, the amount of the deposit with the dealer will vary. I put about half down. I believe the current build time for R Taylors is roughly 12 weeks give or take. Regarding checking progress of the build, I requested that R Taylor take some photos of my guitar while it is being build. We'll see what happens with that.

You can also request through your dealer some photos of the woods that will be used with your guitar to make sure they are to your taste and specifications. In my case I looked at a few sets of figured mahogany and several sets of redwood for the top before finding the sets I liked and that R Taylor found up to their quality standards. R Taylor dealers are generally great folks who will work closely with you to make sure you get what you want and generally provide excellent customer service.

It can be a bit scary to order a guitar this way. I'd suggest you check with your dealer about how they handle situations where you don't like the guitar. I think dealers have little trouble selling R Taylors, which is why they tend to have so few in stock. On the other hand, I'd say there is a slim chance that you won't like the guitar they build for you, if you give the dealer and R Taylor enough information about what you want the guitar to look and sound like, how you play, etc.

Good luck with your order,

Bill

2002 Taylor GA 12-string custom: sitka/mahogany
2013 Greven OOO: Lutz/Brazilian
2021 Greven OO-12 fret: Lutz/Brazilian
2017 Rainsong Al Petteway Ltd. OOO: carbon fiber
2017 Birdsong Especial II Bass: Cypress/Rosewood
Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmr.mustard View Post
1. What's the usual turnaround time?
2. How do you keep track on the status of your guitar being built?
The experience I had with purchasing my R Taylor was great. My answers below may or may not happen to your build because there are many variables involved.

1. I placed my order on 3/3, but the build did not start until the April production schedule. I was quoted a build time of 6-10 weeks. I received the guitar on 5/20.

2. I was able to communicate directly to the folks at R Taylor throughout the build. Its not uncommon from what I have read in this forum regarding other members builds. They sent me pictures of the wood sets prior to production and I asked for some pictures of the guitar when it was almost complete. I have no complaints on the experience, and especially none with the actual guitar. YMMV.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 PM

My local dealer is having a Brazilian / Cedar R. Taylor built for a customer using the GE Money 0% - 12 Month financing package. I would need financing and a divorce lawyer if I ordered a Brazilian. This would probably work in place of a downpayment.
Better hurry though, I think R. Taylor is going to stop taking orders next month. I hear the R. Taylor shop is changing directions next year.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 AM

My dealer wanted 25% down (which I didn't think was unreasonable). We are at day 80 since I ordered, and I'm expecting it just any day now.

I can't believe I've been able to wait this long -- I'm usually a "buy it off the shelf" guy.

Taylor 518e First Edition (Sitka/Mahogany)
Taylor GS Custom (Sitka/Mahogany)
R Taylor Style 1 12-string (Sitka/Maple)
Taylor Koa GS-LTD
R Taylor Style 2 (Sinker/Rosewood)
Taylor GS Mini
Carvin C350

-----
Acoustic guitars are made of wood, into which I pour my heart, and holes, into which I pour my money.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWright View Post
My dealer wanted 25% down (which I didn't think was unreasonable). We are at day 80 since I ordered, and I'm expecting it just any day now.

I can't believe I've been able to wait this long -- I'm usually a "buy it off the shelf" guy.
What are the Specs on the guitar? Tell me a bit more about your experience if you don't mind
Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Should I be worried/paranoid about all these rumors of R.Taylor closing down if I were to place an order for an R.Taylor.? Does Bob Taylor have something better than R.Taylor in his future plans?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Should I be worried/paranoid about all these rumors of R.Taylor closing down if I were to place an order for an R.Taylor.? Does Bob Taylor have something better than R.Taylor in his future plans?

Only one person knows the answer to that.... Bob Taylor.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensicguy View Post
Only one person knows the answer to that.... Bob Taylor.
Part of me feels like if I do place an order, it would be like gambling and I don't gamble. This is a huge investment. I'm not worried about placing the order and loosing my money. I'm afraid Bob Taylor will come out with an even better line than R.Taylor of Custom made guitars.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Part of me feels like if I do place an order, it would be like gambling and I don't gamble. This is a huge investment. I'm not worried about placing the order and loosing my money. I'm afraid Bob Taylor will come out with an even better line than R.Taylor of Custom made guitars.
Well, look at it this way... currently the R Taylor line is his premium guitar. You could wait and see what happens, or you can order a guitar and enjoy it now (or at least whatever the wait period is...)

For me, I've gone through a LOT of Taylor guitars, looking for the one that makes me feel like I got a guitar I'd be happy hanging on to for a while. I ended up with an R Taylor Style One (Maple / Sitka) and it happens to be the third R Taylor ever made (2006).

If Taylor were to come up with an even better brand to sell, while I might be tempting to get one, I'd still be perfectly happy with the guitar I currently have.

Are they worth the money? Who knows. Only you can determine that. But is it gambling? I don't think so. At this point, the R Taylor brand is Taylor's premium brand and that's how you have to look at it. Nobody can tell what the future will hold. But for now, this is it as far as Taylors are concerned.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
What are the Specs on the guitar? Tell me a bit more about your experience if you don't mind
Hi Vic --

My lil' beauty will be a Style 2, with sinker redwood top, and east indian rosewood, with bloodwood binding. Oughta be a beaut.

The experience has been really good. My local dealer worked with me to help us both understand what woods I liked, the kind of sound, and the appearance I was looking for. We probably spent several multi-hour sessions across a week to get us both on the same page.

Once the order was made, I was able to show me some photos of wood to choose from for the top and back/sides, so I had a little bit of selection there. And all along the way, I know my local dealer has been in contact with the factory during the build.

So far, so good... soon, I'll have it in my hands!

Hope this helps!

Taylor 518e First Edition (Sitka/Mahogany)
Taylor GS Custom (Sitka/Mahogany)
R Taylor Style 1 12-string (Sitka/Maple)
Taylor Koa GS-LTD
R Taylor Style 2 (Sinker/Rosewood)
Taylor GS Mini
Carvin C350

-----
Acoustic guitars are made of wood, into which I pour my heart, and holes, into which I pour my money.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 PM

I just got off the phone and finally placed the order for an R. Taylor Style 2.
Sinker Top
Macassar Ebony for back/sides
Arm Rest
Ebony binding
Ebony Rosette
Short Scale
Slotted Peghead (I've always loved the way these look)
Standard Nut Width
Jescar Alloy Fretwire

No inlays or electronics

Now comes the worst part... Waiting.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:13 PM

That guitar should be a winner!

I've played a regular Taylor with those specs an it was very nice!

So... they said they would put an armrest on a Style 2? I've heard they don't have that as an option.

By the way.... CONGRATULATIONS!

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I just got off the phone and finally placed the order for an R. Taylor Style 2.
Sinker Top
Macassar Ebony for back/sides
Arm Rest
Ebony binding
Ebony Rosette
Short Scale
Slotted Peghead (I've always loved the way these look)
Standard Nut Width
Jescar Alloy Fretwire

No inlays or electronics

Now comes the worst part... Waiting.
Congratulation! Sounds like it will be awesome. You probably already know this but macassar ebony can vary quite a bit in appearance so if you have strong preferences around sap wood or varigation (sp?), I would ask to see your tone woods and give your approval before the build begins.
Congrats!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion