The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-29-2010, 02:47 PM

I just saw Roger Water's "The Wall Live" concert on November 11th in Philadelphia. Both Dave Kilminster and G.E. Smith played Telecasters primarily. They were awesome beyond belief, no twang or thin sound, I can tell you that. When Dave Kilminster was playing the two solos in "Comfortably Numb" standing at the top of the wall (like sixty feet or so up..;.) I thought that I had died and gone to heaven!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeeWebb View Post
I just saw Roger Water's "The Wall Live" concert on November 11th in Philadelphia. Both Dave Kilminster and G.E. Smith played Telecasters primarily. They were awesome beyond belief, no twang or thin sound, I can tell you that. When Dave Kilminster was playing the two solos in "Comfortably Numb" standing at the top of the wall (like sixty feet or so up..;.) I thought that I had died and gone to heaven!
I had no idea G.E. Smith was playing with them. I remember watching him on SNL when I was kid, and then, randomly, he started playing with a band at Cleveland Browns stadium every home game. I used to see him in the tunnels before and after games, carrying his guitar. Should have stopped him and said "hello" when I had the chance...

As for Telecaster's - I guess loads and loads of country/western players choose them for some other reason than what I've been thinking
Old 11-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Nope, they choose them for one sound the tele can produce.

Tons of jazzers choose it for the neck pickup.

I'mnot trying to be a jerk here, it's just that you're listening with your eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

I agree with many of the different opinions in this thread, even though some posts seem to conflict with others.

All three guitars are quite different, with the LP being the "odd man out" due to the heavy body design, and humbuckers. They all have thier advantages and disadvantages. You cant really get the LP sound on either Fender. You cant really get either Fender sound on the Gibson.

I have played in a Blues/rock band, a Country band, and a Jazz band over the last thirty years, all with the same electric. A '52 Telecaster. For my money, it is the most versatile guitar of the bunch.

With my handle, what else could I say?
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 PM

As you can see from my signature I have a pretty good variety of electrics and I like them all. If I was limited to just one it would have to be the tele. One thing about the tele is the variety of pups available and the relative simplicity of changing them to get the sound you are looking for. Tele nuts will tend to own a bunch of them, all set up differently. I have 3, all sound different, with different pickups and switching. I find myself playing the Epiphone 335 quite a bit too. The telecaster forum is one of the best, I used to spend a lot of time there before I got back into acoustic and discovered AGF.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification