The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-16-2018, 01:02 PM

Location: We are in Tucson, Arizona. https://www.zavaletas-guitarras.com
Default Nightmare on Spanish Cedar (cedrela odinata)

I have run into CITES problems with Spanish cedar (Cedrela ordinata). According to the CITES manual Spanish cedar is on appendix III and applies to logs, lumber, and veneer, Table 2-3 of the manual, says that articles are exempt. The new interpretation I am facing and trying to fight is that guitar is made of veneer, and so requires CITES. I have a shipment in LAX, that may be returned to Spain, because it lack CITES permits, which up till now were not required under my interpretation of articles being exempt.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Bureaucrats interpreting regulation at their whim. What a nightmare.

I wish you good luck but have no advice or wisdom to offer.

Dave
Old 03-17-2018, 06:37 PM

Ugh! That’s the first I’ve heard of Spanish cedar being on a list!
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 03-17-2018, 06:46 PM

That interpretation makes nonsense of the express language of cites in exempting articles and no comoetent legal trained person would rver make such a ridiculous argument. It is clear that appendix iii applies to veneer in the sense of raw veneer boards. If the veneer has been used to make an article, it is no longer veneer boards but it is an article. The bureaucrat concerned probably thinks that the coat is too low to justify the OP getting legal representation to assist him in suing the government to get his guitar out of their clutches.

I hope the P.O. wins in his argument not just for the recovery of his owj guitar but also because the same logic could be applied to mahogany and then most quality guitars would be impounded by US customs!
Old 03-20-2018, 06:58 PM

That sucks. I was worried that my flamenco guitar with cypress back and sides would get stopped at customs but it made it through after a few weeks. Hopefully they release your guitar as well. Good luck.
1992 Paulino Bernabe M-50
2005 Breedlove C-25 Northwest Classic
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II
Old 03-27-2018, 01:26 PM

Location: We are in Tucson, Arizona. https://www.zavaletas-guitarras.com
Default Dreams

I want to send my thanks to everyone who replied, a couple of you had suggestions of people to write, and I was eventually able to reach the National Director for CITES, who quickly sent a email to DHL, confirming my interpretation, and my guitars cleared customs on last Monday, and were delivered on Tuesday.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:48 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Excellent news, that's the best outcome possible out of all of this! Congratulations on finding a way through!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:39 PM

At least you're doing your part to stop about 8 ounces of cedrela ordinata from being moved from one country to another. That should make the CITES people happy. I wonder how that will help keep the species from becoming extinct?

Just noticed you got the guitars, so, all's well. Just goes to show how stupid this could be for other people.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical