The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Guest 928

Tony;

My one deep foray into an ancient guitar was a turn of 20th century Washburn. It was a small parlor-type and I had to have it. The neck was warped, the face was cracked, and all the glues were coming apart. That was a pretty expensive guitar, in the long run.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:18 PM

A relic’d carbon fiber guitar might be cool. Kramster?

Last edited by Res Ipsa; 03-12-2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 03-12-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
A relic’d carbon fiber guitar might be cool. Kramster?
Maybe mustered some... oops thought you said relish
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-12-2018, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Tony;

My one deep foray into an ancient guitar was a turn of 20th century Washburn. It was a small parlor-type and I had to have it. The neck was warped, the face was cracked, and all the glues were coming apart. That was a pretty expensive guitar, in the long run.
When I bought my Martin, I knew it would need a neck reset, so I factored that in to my consideration of what I was willing to spend. It was still less expensive than getting a custom build that would match its specs. The Martin guitars from what folks seem to consider the "golden era" of the 1930s and 1940s, carry really hefty price tags. The older guitars such as mine, are far cheaper. I wanted an old Martin that was really playable. The "Golden era" Martins I have played seem somewhat stiff even after a neck reset. Even before the neck reset, my Martin was quite comfortable.

On mine, there is substantial wear on the top where the later versions of this model have a pick guard. Since the guitar has the original finish, I want to leave it as is. However, overall, the guitar is quite sound and should be fine for a long time as long as I am careful about humidifying it in the winter.

There does seem to be something about owning a really old guitar at least once in our guitar-playing lives. In my case, I would love to have a newer guitar that is just as comfortable to play, something that doesn't need the care an old instrument requires. I think CF would be ideal.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-12-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
There does seem to be something about owning a really old guitar at least once in our guitar-playing lives.

Or..(not about Unc Evy at all) .. a really old guy owning a young or new guitar...balance I say.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-12-2018, 08:40 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
When I bought my Martin, I knew it would need a neck reset, so I factored that in to my consideration of what I was willing to spend. It was still less expensive than getting a custom build that would match its specs. The Martin guitars from what folks seem to consider the "golden era" of the 1930s and 1940s, carry really hefty price tags. The older guitars such as mine, are far cheaper. I wanted an old Martin that was really playable. The "Golden era" Martins I have played seem somewhat stiff even after a neck reset. Even before the neck reset, my Martin was quite comfortable.

On mine, there is substantial wear on the top where the later versions of this model have a pick guard. Since the guitar has the original finish, I want to leave it as is. However, overall, the guitar is quite sound and should be fine for a long time as long as I am careful about humidifying it in the winter.

There does seem to be something about owning a really old guitar at least once in our guitar-playing lives. In my case, I would love to have a newer guitar that is just as comfortable to play, something that doesn't need the care an old instrument requires. I think CF would be ideal.

Tony
I agree. Not an acoustic, but my only old guitar was a ‘58 Strat that I bought in ‘76 for $500 and sold it in ‘02. First guitar I owned and learned on it. By ‘02, I was much more of an acoustic player with just a low-end Ibanez. That had to change, so I sold the Strat. I did well, best return on investment I’ve ever made. No regrets. Bought me some nice acoustics with the funds since then.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I agree. Not an acoustic, but my only old guitar was a ‘58 Strat that I bought in ‘76 for $500 and sold it in ‘02. First guitar I owned and learned on it. By ‘02, I was much more of an acoustic player with just a low-end Ibanez. That had to change, so I sold the Strat. I did well, best return on investment I’ve ever made. No regrets. Bought me some nice acoustics with the funds since then.
Whoa! '58 Strat? That is magic! It sounds as if you did really well on all counts.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post

Or..(not about Unc Evy at all) .. a really old guy owning a young or new guitar...balance I say.
Well, owning a guitar that is older than I am, makes me feel so young (as the song says). The problem is that it takes quite an old guitar to do that anymore for me.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber