The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-12-2018, 08:48 AM

Default Question on custom order Rainsong

Hello,

I have a Rainsong that is my travel guitar. Its a dread and for all my other guitars I'm just not into big guitars anymore. Am kicking around trading this and the travel case in for a smaller OM.

I have a CA cargo for an "actual" travel guitar... but want a full size guitar for long trips.

I had to custom order my dread to get non cutaway and NO electronics.. basically impossible to find.

For those that know (as I dont want to really annoy a dealer as this is not imminent i dont think) is it even POSSIBLE to get an OM size without a cutaway?

I just dont like cutaways and dont really want eletronics....

As far as i'm seeing I dont know that I can... but their website and model numbers are a bit confusing.

thanks!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 AM

You can easily get a 12-fret neck or no electronics with any RainSong guitar (I'm pretty sure), but I think the 5 body shapes they show are the only choices.

The reason, as I understand it, is that making the carbon fiber bodies requires molds that are very large pieces of precisely machined aluminum that typically cost 10s of thousands of dollars. So the dreads and jumbos have no cutaways and the OM, WS and parlor guitars all do have cutaways.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
You can easily get a 12-fret neck or no electronics with any RainSong guitar (I'm pretty sure), but I think the 5 body shapes they show are the only choices.

The reason, as I understand it, is that making the carbon fiber bodies requires molds that are very large pieces of precisely machined aluminum that typically cost 10s of thousands of dollars. So the dreads and jumbos have no cutaways and the OM, WS and parlor guitars all do have cutaways.
This is my understanding, as well.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:57 PM

I don’t need a cutaway, as that end of the fretboard is a foreign country to me anyway;

but I like them for the place they create in the case to store a coiled strap.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:29 PM

I have both -- guitars with and guitars without cutaways. There are a few things in my repertoire that cannot easily be played on a guitar without a cutaway. I actually use some frets above 12, up to 17 at times. Most of my guitars are 14 frets to the body, but a couple are only 12 fret. Combine 12 frets to the body and no cutaway and the upper frets are tough to reach.

In my wooden guitar cases, that void is also a good place to put the dampened sponge in a container for adding humidity. But I normally use the accessory box.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I don’t need a cutaway, as that end of the fretboard is a foreign country to me anyway;
Like oh I don't know...Wales?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-15-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post

Yea i sort of figured this as well.. just didnt know if they might make them but dont have them on site.. wishful thinking.

Thanks guys... i'll probably just keep the dread... cutaways just really don't appeal to me for many personal reasons... or i could look at other brands i guess if you know of any that might fit my bill?

I do love how this Rainsong sounds so it will probably be the one I keep.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber