The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-23-2018, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm not at all impressed by the whole Keurig approach... more crap to fill up the landfills, plus it makes one weak cup of coffee (which is what really nixes that approach for me).

I tried the "fill it yourself" Keurig dispenser and couldn't get a good strong cup from it.

I like French Presses okay... but they take a lot more grounds than a drip method.

I'm on a fairly tight budget, so I can't get all extravagant about something I'm using everyday, most times twice...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-23-2018, 04:37 PM

I don't drink coffee but my Keurig works like a charm and when my coffee drinkers come over they love the results. I can quickly and easily make; tea, hot chocolate, french roast, breakfast blend, decaf.... back to back for 5 different people without wasting a pot, washing anything, cleaning anything up, or trying to make everyone drink my favorite type or style of coffee. Mom can have Dunkin' Donuts, dad can have Green Mountain Nantucket Blend, I can have Twining's Tea and the kids can have cocoa in less time than it would take to make one pot (forget that in a percolator) or wash a press for the next type of coffee. Keurig allows for several sizes of brew so the smaller the cup (6oz., 8oz., 10oz.) the stronger or milder it is.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:42 PM

OK, been a week with the new maker and I think I'm liking it. Making 1 cup at a time has not proven to be a pain. I think I might be using less coffee as I often make a partial pot and throw it away. No auto brew hasn't been an issue since it brews so fast.

Bought some K-cups and liked the convenience but cost is 3 times what ground costs. I did find out they weren't kidding with the "Max Fill" mark on the mesh filter basket. Pushed it a little to increase strength and ended up with grounds everywhere and they are a you-know-what to clean up.

If this one dies, I'll probably spring for a Keurig as the concept is working out pretty well.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
Try an Aeropress. Best coffee investment I ever made and I am SERIOUS about my coffee! $35 Bucks.
Yup. I go Keurig when in a hurry, Technivorm (with thermal carafe) for full pots, and espresso machine when I want to pretend I'm a barista rather than a retired barrister. But for a single cup, nothing beats great beans, a good grinder and an Aeropress. If my espresso machine happens to be on, I'll use its hot water wand; but lately I use an electric kettle. I brew into my birthday present from my son: an Ember electronic travel mug, which keeps the coffee at your preferred temperature. You can download an app to control it as well (it'll also. tell you when it's time to recharge). Far faster and just as tasty (IMHO) as a pour-over (with the Hario set I used to use, dealing with a special long-spout kettle, scale and controlling the pattern & rate of pour was a bit of a PITA--and I don't mean "the bread that holds falafel").

And if you're worried about losing "man-points," don't worry: you'll get a good workout pushing down the Aeropress' inner cylinder piston!

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:16 PM

I like a good old fashioned coffee percolator...I like my coffee on the dark side, straight up...

I'm currently using a GE model I've had for almost 10 years, and if memory serves me right, it's only the 3rd percolator I've purchased in 30 years...
Old 02-26-2018, 10:30 PM

My first coffeemaker was an avocado green GE I got as a wedding present in 1971. But once I tasted drip and press-pot coffee, I never used the perc again. Percolators recycle the coffee through the grounds at too-high a temperature, overextracting and ruining the taste. Glad you like your coffee on the dark side, but what you're describing is really "overcooked." And any extra caffeine you may be getting might be getting degraded if heated too high. Canned preground coffee packaged for perc has a higher percentage of cheaper beans.

Here's another myth that needs to be shattered: that the darker the bean, the stronger the coffee and therefore the higher the caffeine content. Actually, the opposite is true--once the bean has been roasted into "second crack," more of its oils and sugars turn to carbon...and so does the caffeine content. When you're tasting French or Italian (or Starbucks' original dark) roast, you're tasting mostly carbon, and actually getting less caffeine. The coffee may taste & look strong...but even though not dilute, it's well on the way to weak.

However, darker roasts hold up better to milk and sugar, simply because their flavors are more aggressive. If you like your coffee black (and want to taste the characteristics of the bean), "full city" is as dark a roast as you should use.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:07 AM

Thanks Sandy, I have to confess to being "darker is stronger" person. Coffee is the second most traded commodity (After oil) and is grown all around the world between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. Many different beans and preparations, roasting, grinding, brewing---- ad infinitum, just look at this thread. There is a thick book on this subject, "Uncommon Grounds" by Mark Pendergrast. I'm gonna try a lighter roast like Sandy suggests. Meanwhile,even though I prefer French press, I'll continue using a cheap Wallyworld electric drip, about $10, because it's easier to clean mostly. That stuff they serve down in New Orleans at Cafe du Monde is really good----so are the beignets!

Fog
Old 02-27-2018, 06:23 AM

After being unable to get the coffee taste that tasted as good as the beans smelled, I went back to the coffee press. I don't notice that it take more coffee, but I like my coffee strong.

I also like chai tea and can use the press for loose tea.

A frothier makes half an half or heavy cream a pleasing result.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 AM

I use an old stove top percolator (was my grandmothers) when time allows time. I use a moka pot for expresso, and when I am short on time, a refillable K-cup.

Used a french press for a long time until it broke and I started using the perc.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
My first coffeemaker was an avocado green GE I got as a wedding present in 1971. But once I tasted drip and press-pot coffee, I never used the perc again. Percolators recycle the coffee through the grounds at too-high a temperature, overextracting and ruining the taste. Glad you like your coffee on the dark side, but what you're describing is really "overcooked." And any extra caffeine you may be getting might be getting degraded if heated too high. Canned preground coffee packaged for perc has a higher percentage of cheaper beans.

Here's another myth that needs to be shattered: that the darker the bean, the stronger the coffee and therefore the higher the caffeine content. Actually, the opposite is true--once the bean has been roasted into "second crack," more of its oils and sugars turn to carbon...and so does the caffeine content. When you're tasting French or Italian (or Starbucks' original dark) roast, you're tasting mostly carbon, and actually getting less caffeine. The coffee may taste & look strong...but even though not dilute, it's well on the way to weak.

However, darker roasts hold up better to milk and sugar, simply because their flavors are more aggressive. If you like your coffee black (and want to taste the characteristics of the bean), "full city" is as dark a roast as you should use.

Sandy, I've continued using my percolators all these years because along the way, I've tried or sampled just about every brand of coffee and coffee maker made, thanks to my many friends and business associates who are coffee lovers...

I keep an open mind, and my open mind keeps leading me back to my percolator..

To me, coffee is like music...it's the taste and preference of each partaker...

So, I started my morning with my usual cup of coffee...

The aroma was good...the taste was good...it IS good...
Old 02-27-2018, 01:47 PM

Wow. I really am the only one to use a black plastic Melitta brewing cone, $3.99 at Bed - Bath - and BEYOND!

Chemex 8-cup ($40-something) for when company's coming.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:43 PM

French press man! The simplest way to make coffee that exists, and it’s delicious!
Old 02-27-2018, 02:50 PM

Just ordered an aeropress! Looking forward to trying it out!
Old 02-28-2018, 08:49 AM

Nice. I’ve never used an aeropress, but I’m sure it’ll be great too.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:37 PM

I got 10 years out of my last Bunn.

It still worked when I replaced it because it was getting slow.

Got another Bunn.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic