The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-21-2018, 05:27 PM

Default Considering a classical guitar but need opinions...

I'm crossing over from the steel string side of the forum for some advice.
I've always thought I'd like to have a classical guitar in the house and I'm starting to do some searching.

Here's where I'm at...
I'm looking for an instrument that I can be happy with at home or on stage, but not a high end guitar since that's not my main focus at this time. In other words, a guitar with a reasonable price tag for my purposes that I won't tire of soon, shortly be dissaponted with, and won't scare away the listeners.

I was looking at a La Patrie Etude although I would consider a step or two up if it's worth the extra money. I have a lot of trust in the Godin family of guitars. I have a Seagull that I'll never part with.

Searching the forum, I see a lot of love for Cordoba models so...
If I've explained myself well enough , I'd appreciate any recommendations along those lines.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:55 PM

Another solid reputable company for all ends of classicals is Yamaha. If you look up their CG series you can get a decent lower end guitar. If you've got more money you can get into their GC series.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:28 AM

Default Classical guitar

I have owned low and mid end Yamahas. I recommend them to students all the time. In recent years, I've had the opportunity to play some of the Cordobas, and I have been pleasantly surprised at the build quality and intonation. The C5 and C7 seem to be the best bang for the buck in this line. The C9 is nice, as well, but I found that as you go up in models after the C7, there doesn't seem to be as much difference in tone for the difference in money, if that makes sense. Just my opinion. I've had students who owned all these models, so I've played them myself. So I wouldn't hesitate to check out the Yamahas and the Cordobas for good quality beginner classical guitars.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:34 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

"on stage" = plugged in? Or unplugged (and perhaps mic'd)? Do you know if you prefer a traditional classical guitar or a crossoverish guitar?
Old 01-22-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
"on stage" = plugged in? Or unplugged (and perhaps mic'd)? Do you know if you prefer a traditional classical guitar or a crossoverish guitar?
I'd be more interested in a traditional. I already play fingerstyle (and I can read music and all that fancy stuff ) and I prefer my steel string guitars with wider necks anyway, so I think the transition between them would be readily manageable.

There are just some guitar compositions and styles that cry to be played on a classical guitar...hence my interest.

Plugged in or not? That remains to be seen. Electronics or a lack thereof won't matter much to my choice as I can always add a pickup later...or a microphone.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:50 PM

I have a La Patrie Concert -- it's one up from the Etude. I am quite happy with it. Mine is a straight classical but all La Patrie's are now available with electronics if you desire. The instrument looks very nice, feels good with really decent action for a classical. Being old and stuck in the 60's folk revival, I do not play classical music, but mostly finger pick and am very pleased with my La Patrie. Can't go too far wrong. I would also look at Cordobas C5 and higher.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 01-22-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
... I was looking at a La Patrie Etude although I would consider a step or two up if it's worth the extra money. I have a lot of trust in the Godin family of guitars. I have a Seagull that I'll never part with.
When I was looking for a decent classical (I ended up with a Hill New World Player), I tried a few La Patrie guitars and was not very impressed.

What is your price range?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 PM

I have a Cordoba C 10 (cedar top) and have been well pleased. It has deep bass notes and very clear treblesand is very responsive. I owned a low end Yamaha classical many years ago and have fond memories of it.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:27 AM

The Yamaha line of classical guitars are nice, but I'd recommend that you try out the neck shape / profile before getting one

The Yamaha tend to be the thicker "D" shape whereas the Cordoba tend to have a thinner "C" shape to the necks.

My left hand prefers the shape of the Cordoba guitars over the Yamaha.

A happy left hand makes for happier playing time

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-23-2018, 07:49 AM
Guest 2143

I have a Cordoba C9. I have played several C9 and C10, as well as C5 and C7 models. I liked the 2 C9 examples I tried better than the others. Based on my experience, I think the C9 or C10 is a big step up from the C5 or C7. Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
I have a Cordoba C9. I have played several C9 and C10, as well as C5 and C7 models. I liked the 2 C9 examples I tried better than the others. Based on my experience, I think the C9 or C10 is a big step up from the C5 or C7. Hope this helps.
Everything helps.

I'll have some time off in the next week or two to visit some of the local dealers near me. One has a decent inventory of Godin/Seagull/La Patrie guitars, another stocks Cordoba...Probably Yamaha, too. I'll check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
...What is your price range?
I don't really have a range in mind at this point. It's more like... Find a guitar that I'm happy with and satisfies the conditions of my original post...Find out how much those guitars cost...And if that's what I gotta pay, then that's what I gotta pay. I'm not in a rush and, for the most part I'm a careful buyer. I don't mind buying used either.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:12 AM

This past year, I picked up a lightly used Alhambra 8P, made in Spain, with cedar top on Rosewood. I'm not much of a classical player, but the tone is delightful. It's light. It's got gorgeous woods and attractive details. I'd highly recommend checking out the Alhambra line. Lower end models are made in USA (?)... not Spain, if that matters. The used pricing is quite affordable.
2016 S&P Woodland Pro Folk (LG) SB
2017 Martin Retro 000-15 All-Mahogany
2019 Taylor FLTD 512ce 12fret Cedar/Koa
2019 Taylor Builder’s Ed 517E-WHB Torr/Mah
2023 Larrivee OM-40R Custom Bearclaw/EIR
2024 Taylor Academy 20E All-Walnut Sm.Dread
Old 01-24-2018, 03:48 PM

Hi,
I’d strongly suggest to look at a good used one, possibly a japanese vintage in good conditions. Beware of neck profiles, read reviews etc but if you find a match, it’s the best price/ratio you can have.

Without any affiliation whatsoever, just as a hint:
http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.co...p?f=3&t=117390
Old 01-27-2018, 10:15 AM

Just picked up a Spruce top Cordoba C9 crossover and am very impressed with it. Everything is top notch with it...honestly really surprised at that level of quality instrument for the price. Being a crossover it works really well for a player like me who is primarily a steel string player.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:57 AM

The Cordoba are pretty great values, and yeah, even though the cheap ones are nice, the more expensive ones are REALLY nice.

I've only played the cheapest of Yamahas, and like all Yamahas, it's also a great value.

The Cordoba and Yamahas are true classicals on a budget.

I own a LaPatrie Etude (for about 15 years now) it's a little different...it does not have the projection of even a cheaper classical, but it has a lot of bass and warmth most cheaper classicals don't. I don't think it'd be my first choice for playing classical music, but for playing jazz and bossa like I do, it's probably a better choice than comparably priced classicals.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical