The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-31-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
Is the visiting nurse only for your dad or your mother too? Sounds like a nurse trained in dementia care may be helpful to your mother. Good luck with this!
For my Dad. I think you are perhaps right. This is my mother's personality, only amped up due to lots of stress. She has always been challenging.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:40 AM

My cousin and Aunt were there this past weekend. My cousin took a video with the dog (in a muzzle) when she talked with him to show me "how calm he was". I showed it to my husband and both of us said "that dog is terrified". He was hunched down, giving the side-eye and frozen in place as she spoke to him. When my mother called him, he moved very slowly towards her. As they were leaving one evening, my sister inadvertently let him loose. He immediately rushed them at the door and while he didn't bite my aunt, he gave her an aggressive shove. They were all "see, he didn't bite!" not understanding that behavior is a dominant move and should not be tolerated. Instead, the dog was reinforced.

My point to them is he's very unpredictable due to fear. You're sitting, he might be fine. You stand up, and he begins barking and growling. Trying to get to the bathroom is an interesting endeavor. The general consensus is "just ignore him".The last time I stayed there (never have again), I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, and he came into the room I was in, growling and snarling. I was frozen, afraid to move (was lying down making it more terrifying) and my mother finally heard him and called him back.

It's interesting to me is that they blame others, i.e. "if you didn't look at him" or "if you just ignore him". I hear this is not uncommon. I have a friend with pit bulls who has said to me "The children next door scream when they play. They set my dogs off. If my dogs attack them, it's their fault. They should not scream". My only response is "I don't think a court of law will see it your way".

My sister, thank God, seems to be more understanding of liability and unpredictability, so I won't go over unless she is home. I won't stay more than 2 hours at a time since "it puts stress on everyone if we have to put the dog behind a gate". Meanwhile the dog has 300 sq ft of bedroom and a large bathroom. Hardly torturous digs And if blaming comments start, I will end my visit at their home for that day. If it continues, I'll return home earlier then anticipated. I think that's the best way to handle this.

Thanks all!
Old 07-31-2017, 12:14 PM

My perception of this situation is that a dog is being allowed to create an environment of fear and terror to innocent parties trying to help...

Bad decisions are being made by the owners, who seem to be incapable of good judgement at this point...

I don't know the dog's history or reasons for behavior, but the dog needs to be removed...the details of doing so pale in comparison to the possible threat to personal injury or worse to the caretakers...I would much rather deal with the fallout from removing the dog, than the repercussions of a lifelong injury (or worse) from an attack by the dog...

I would not put myself, my wife or another family member in a stressful, dangerous situation like this...
Old 07-31-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
My perception of this situation is that a dog is being allowed to create an environment of fear and terror to innocent parties trying to help...

Bad decisions are being made by the owners, who seem to be incapable of good judgement at this point...

I don't know the dog's history or reasons for behavior, but the dog needs to be removed...the details of doing so pale in comparison to the possible threat to personal injury or worse to the caretakers...I would much rather deal with the fallout from removing the dog, than the repercussions of a lifelong injury (or worse) from an attack by the dog...

I would not put myself, my wife or another family member in a stressful, dangerous situation like this...
I wholeheartedly agree. Dog is fine with my parents and sister though. He's isolating the rest of the family from them. I guess that's a choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic