The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-19-2009, 10:01 AM

Default VOX DA20 and Roland Street Cube Amp

Has anyone had any experience with either of these Amps. I am looking for a small practice amp that I can play and sing through in the $200 range. Any suggestions?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:34 AM

Hi Raz,

I've had the Cube Street for a couple of years - it's fine for practice and "electronic projects" at home for me. For playing with other people or doing a gig - probably not loud enough. Practice with one or two other guitarists, playing at a LOW level it would be ok. Doing a real real SMALL solo gig - maybe.

Buy by myself, at home - using batteries... LOVE it! I have probably a bad habit of picking up an electric guitar and playing it unamplified. It's so much better plugging in this little thing...

Best luck, Mike
Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 AM

Street cube is cool for just what MikeTX says. Just plain fun and sounds good enough to inspire you. I like my Micro too.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-19-2009, 12:29 PM

I think that the Vox DA-20 blows the Cube Street away. I think the effects on the Cube Street are less than underwhelming; those on the DA-20 are surprisingly good. I love the form factor of the Cube Street, but I was really disappointed with the sound. I am in the minority, though (check the reviews on Harmony Central).....

But the Roland Mobile Cube is really excellent as a practice amp - the effects are fine (although limited), but for portability it can't be beat, and doesn't color the sound like the Street Cube (or the DA-10, although the latter is much better), and it is surprisingly loud..

YMMV, of course..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification