The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-11-2014, 08:31 AM

Default LR Baggs Lyric Classical Demo - Villa Lobos, Bach and More

I have been looking for LR Baggs Lyric Classical samples on Youtube but could not really find any decent ones. Decided to take the plunge and installed it on my MIkhail Robert Cedar/Indian Guitar after hearing alot of good feedback about the Lyric classical mic. Well this is the result of that. The sound went straight into the Audio Interface which is an M Audio ProFire 610 (obsolete) . I recorded short excerpts of samples for the following. This is an impromptu recording with just one take.

What do you think? Please leave your comments, feedback.

Villa Lobos
Prelude 1 - 0:05
Prelude 2 - 0:30
Prelude 3 - 1:01
Prelude 4 - 1:33
Prelude 5 - 2:12
J.S. Bach BWV 1001 - Siciliana - 2:40
Running Bass - 3:22
Campanas Del Alba - Tremelo - 3:46
Nocturne Op 9-2 Chopin - 4:13
Nokia Ring Tone - 4:41

Guitar: Mikhail Robert
LR Baggs Lyric Classical
Interface: ProFire 610 ( Obsolete )
Video Editing: Sony Vegas Pro 12
Audio software: Adobe Audition 1.5 ( Obsolete )

http://www.youtube.com/user/Optichero
http://www.kevinloh.net/
https://www.facebook.com/KevinLoh.Guitar

Christopher Dean - Classical Rosewood/Spruce
James Goodall Palor - Maple/Cedar
Old 09-11-2014, 10:07 AM

Hi, Kevin, very interesting video. I don't have much experience with these things, so it's just my impression. I think it sounds pretty good in terms of timbre, but not too much alive also, probably because being connected straight into interface and not much reverb? I'm not sure about that, it sound good in low register and sounds a bit plastic like a pickup in higher register.
The only thing which is disturbing is that it sounds a bit out of tune throught the recording.
But that was very interesting to listen too and some good playing as always, I'd love to hear all these pieces recorded completely with your usual setup. Do you plan recording rest of Villa-Lobos preludes? I watched 3 of them on your channel and really enjoyed your performance.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:33 PM

The bass seemed a little strong to me and the trebs were slightly "plastic" sounding as Daria mentioned. However, it is very close to being right to my ears.

Assuming you did not use any EQ, it sounded very workable with the addition of a LR Baggs acoustic DI.

I currently use LR Baggs undersaddle with a Baggs Para-acoustic DI and get very acceptable results so I would expect the Lyric to sound great with a DI.

I have two amped classical guitars. I also use lightly polished strings (lately) to eliminate the High freq squeaky noises that amplify much too well and irritate everyone.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Hi Kevin,
Here are my honest thoughts:
As far as pickups go, it's really not a bad sounding one. Very acceptable, and if you were asked to play in some kind of gig where background music is required, like at a restaurant or wedding reception, it would be totally fine and pleasant to the listeners, not least of which because your playing is so good.
But as far as tonal quality goes, I would rank it behind an unplugged guitar, or the guitar simply miced through a PA system. Especially with that kind of repertoire. Probably because we've heard these pieces played so many times on traditionally rich and fat sounding classicals by so many great masters, and our ears are just accustomed to expect a certain tone to match. The slightly electrified tone that is evident, especially audible in the highs, interferes with that a bit, if that makes sense.
That may explain why I liked the running bass noodle the best out of all the selections. I'm guessing too that more modern, non-classical pieces would sound better too.
So, I guess what I'm saying is that as far as pickups go I would consider it a successful endeavor on your part, as long as your expectations for tonal results are along those lines. Of course, your ears may have a different opinion!
One thing is for certain, you're a very fine player and sound great, whether plugged or unplugged!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-11-2014, 02:22 PM

Wow, I was very impressed!!
Old 09-11-2014, 04:13 PM

Thank you for posting the clip. I think this is an excellent solution for players who must amplify their guitars. You could easily add a microphone and mix the two with an amp and get other sounds if you do not experience feedback.

I recently played in a church that had a lot of hard surfaces and I played along with a steel string guitar, vocals, and a piano. The use of microphones did not work well for me in that particular setting. I think this is an example of a good use of the pick up.

If I understand the installation correctly, it appears that you do not put any holes on the top of the guitar. I may be wrong but it appears that the only hole you make is in the block on the side of the guitar. I consider this a big plus for a pick up.

I have the LR bags anthem pick up in my steel string and it seems to work very well in most settings. I will probably add this to one of my classical guitars down the road in order to give me options in certain situations.

Thanks again......

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 09-11-2014, 07:50 PM

Thanks all for your valuable and objective comments. This will always be a problem for Classical Guitarists. When I first heard the recording through my book shelf speakers, it sounded quite natural. However, when I put on my headphones or play it via the notebook speakers, I have the same conclusion in terms of the treble. I will need to play around more with the "presence" setting on the pickup.

The installation is indeed non invasive. It is really just a stick on under the sound board.

When the opportunity arises, I will try it with some other combinations such as a DI and will report back when time permits.

Have a good week end all !

http://www.youtube.com/user/Optichero
http://www.kevinloh.net/
https://www.facebook.com/KevinLoh.Guitar

Christopher Dean - Classical Rosewood/Spruce
James Goodall Palor - Maple/Cedar
Old 09-11-2014, 08:25 PM

I like the sound. I have an Anthem in my classical and an Anthem and Lyric in two steel strings. I am sure it is better live than in the video

Jon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical