The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 AM

Default Fellow guitarists, would a portable, screwless wall mount interest you?

So I've been sitting next to a great idea for years and only recently recognized it might have a broader appeal. Prototype is made, manufacturing sorted, provisional patent being written up and I'm almost good to go. And the weird part is, NO current guitar wall hanger company offers an alternative.

So I come to you gauging interest now.

Specifically, for those who can't wall mount their guitars the traditional way (impenetrable concrete walls, dorm room rules or workplace offices that don't allow drilling or maybe you just plain want to avoid the DIY hassle and drywall damage) I've developed a way to vertically store/display your guitar that can also travel with you — so you can hang your guitar anywhere, including rehearsal studios, hotel rooms, even in transit inside vans, SUVs and tour buses. Hell, you don't even need a wall. Use a floor standing mirror or side of bookshelf and you've got what you need. And it's pocketable, so it will fit in your case or gig bag.

So my question to you: Do you think there's a market for this? Or should I assume most people are ok with standard wall mounts as the defacto solution? Or a broader question: Do most of you have a preference for wall mounts for display/storage vs floor stands?

Can't share a pic yet until the provisional is squared away... But this would be the aesthetic I'm leaning towards. Keep in mind the form factor and utility is a completely different concept as is Fender's grip part. I prefer a swiveling, padded grip much like String Swing and most other companies use. But as far as stability, sturdiness and finish, this is right on: black, powdercoated metal that won't bend under weight.

http://imgur.com/FdkmirY

And finally, me noodling around with my nylon acoustic!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xm3W1cGJks
Old 03-21-2014, 01:18 AM

I for one would be very interested.
However I'm based in the UK ..will it be available here?
Thanks
Raj

http://www.rajanspolia.co.uk/

http://www.myspace.com/rajanspolia
Old 03-21-2014, 02:36 AM

Really need to see it first.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:20 AM

I'd be interested. Sometimes I gig in places where floor space on the stage is tight and it would be great to be able to hang my instruments on the stage wall behind me vs. using guitar stands on stage. If they become available can you PM me as I don't get on this forum often enough to keep up with the threads.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:04 AM

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds very interesting. Sort of thing I might buy, obviously have to see it first.

Good Luck.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:23 AM

I'd be interested...
Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 AM

I'd probably be interested. Might even be able to get a shop or two interested.
MJRB (Australia)
Old 03-21-2014, 06:11 AM

Yes. If it works, might be a very useful accessory. Good luck on the development and launch.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 03-21-2014, 06:41 AM

Absolutely!

I hate screwing stuff into my walls. My guitars are on a floor rack stand thingy like you see used guitars on in guitar stores. It's functional, but I'm not crazy about the form.

I think there's a market for your product- for sure!
A few Telecasters
Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesop View Post
Absolutely!

I hate screwing stuff into my walls. My guitars are on a floor rack stand thingy like you see used guitars on in guitar stores. It's functional, but I'm not crazy about the form.

I think there's a market for your product- for sure!
This. Agreed on all fronts!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 AM

I would be interested as well.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 AM

Yep. I have an oversized bulldog hanger on the wall at work, but had to hang my Yamaha by a loop of clothesline rope, which honestly looks pretty dorky (metal wire I thought might buzz). But a device like you're describing...I'm assuming it has a traditional hold-below-the-headstock fork design?...would be something I'd go for in a split second. Curious as can be to know how you can assure no slippage if there's no nail or screw. If it's one of those gummy adhesive type things, like the temporary picture hangers that have been around for a while, I think I'd want to know how well it was tested before I'd trust any guitar to it. Fabulous idea, though...and I do want to know more.

Dirk
Old 03-21-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I'd be interested. Sometimes I gig in places where floor space on the stage is tight and it would be great to be able to hang my instruments on the stage wall behind me vs. using guitar stands on stage.
+1 I've played clubs where the stage is so small we end up using friends as roadies, having them uncase and pass us instruments during sets.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

...if the mechanical connection involves suction i'd pass...i will mention that the mirror/bookshelf component raises concerns...otherwise I'm intrigued

Last edited by J Patrick; 03-21-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...if the mechanical connection involves suction i'd pass...i will mention that the mirror/bookshelf component raises concerns...otherwise I'm intrigued
My thoughts, exactly. I would have to be convinced that the method for affixing the hanger to a surface was completely reliable. In my experience, suction cups aren't. A good example is windshield mounted navigation systems. When new, the suction cups work so well that it's hard to get the darn thing off when you want to. But then, over time and with exposure to the elements, they become progressively less reliable. For a guitar, that could spell disaster.

I'd also worry about temporary adhesives for some of the same reasons and because of the possibility of damage to the surface the hanger was applied to.

But if none of these issues are relevant to your design, I think a lot of people would be interested, myself included.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases