The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-28-2014, 08:48 PM

Default Beginning Bluegrass Banjo

My bluegrass band has a problem, too many guitars, 3 to be exact, which is at least 1 too many. The other two guitarists are our singers, and they don't think that they can switch instruments and sing. So that leaves only me. So I am making the switch to banjo. Despite having been around bluegrass for a number of years, I know very little about banjo. I was hoping the forum could help me out.

1) Recommendations to a beginner looking for a 5 string resonator banjo, priced under $1500 would be great, but for now lets cap at $2k, new or used.

2) Buying online:

A) How important is banjo setup? I consider fiddle and bass setup indispensable to the point that I would only buy a stringed instrument from a violin shop. Guitar and mandolin setup are crucial, but not as crucial as violins and the like. Where does the banjo fall? Indispensable/Crucial/Important/Not Important?

B) Is there significant variation between individual instruments of the same line that would make buying online a gamble?

3) Used. Is used a better deal than new? It usually is. What areas should be checked for wear?

4) Anything else that might help me out.

If you have read this hole post and are able to offer assistance, I am sincerely appreciative. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:17 PM

Someday, I'm learning to play banjo. I've heard really god things about the Deering Goodtime 2. Seems to be around $600 street. I gather that a setup is a good thing, although I'm guessing if you buy from a good dealer it'll already be done.

Banjo Hangout seems to be a pretty good place.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:02 AM

For Bluegrass banjo you'll most likely be wanting to learn Scruggs style as opposed to clawhammer, so you'll want to look for a resonator back & a cast tone ring. Generally entry level banjo's have a rolled tone ring which works but won't sound as good as a cast one. You can also choose between a flathead (Earl Scruggs sound) or archtop (old Ralph Stanley sound)

In the price range you've given for new instruments here's some of what is available.
Gold Tone, any of the BG-250 or Orange Blossom series
Gold Star, the GF-85 or GF-100 series
Recording King, the RK-35, RK-36, R-80 & King Elite
Deering, in the Goodtime series the D-GTS and the Classic Special
All of these have a cast or in the case of Deering a steel tone ring.

Like guitars you're going to get a much better deal on a used instrument. The Deering models with a cast tone ring, some OME, some Gibson & others used should be in your price range. One other banjo I'll mention is the Deering John Hartford model, it uses a Grenadillo tone ring rather than a metal tone ring, and sounds very good. If you're lucky you might find a used one in your price range.

More than likely you're going to have to look online to find any kind of selection. Choosing a reputable dealer is worth a slightly higher price. There are more than a few counterfeit Gibsons out there.

I'd rate a good setup as being crucial, however setting up a banjo is very different from setting up a guitar, not all guitar techs know how to set up a banjo. If you buy from a good dealer, except for placing the bridge, your banjo should come well set up. Roger Siminoff has a book on setting up banjos that is pretty technical, "How To Set Up The Best Soundig Banjo", another less technical book is "Complete Banjo Repair" by Larry Sandberg. I think both are available from amazon.

You are going to need to be able to capo your banjo, to capo the 5th string requires a seperate method. I prefer using the traditional 'railroad spikes' but there are other methods. Talk to your dealer about it, they may not want to install 'spikes' if you may be returning the banjo.

Here are some links to good online banjo dealers other than the usual suspects: Zepps Country Music, http://zeppmusic.com/ (really great place to start with); Turtle Hill Banjo, http://www.turtlehillbanjo.com/ (really knows his stuff) & Janet Davis Acoustic Music, http://jdmc.com/ (very large selection of new banjos)

Regards,
Ed
Gibson RB-3 Wreath
Deering John Hartford model
Mike Ramsey Walnut "Woody"
Old 08-31-2014, 10:55 AM

Thanks for your help. I actually found a nice banjo in my local music store. I wandered in to buy some strings and check out an Eastman mandolin. I sort of absentmindedly picked up a Deering (I didn't even know the model) and it was a case of the wand choosing the wizard. I couldn't put it down. It was a Deering Eagle II resonator. It has a slightly different sound, less metallic, less bright which I think will mix well with our group. Now to figure out how to play the thing.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:28 PM

Nice choise, Enjoy!

Regards,
Ed
Gibson RB-3 Wreath
Deering John Hartford model
Mike Ramsey Walnut "Woody"
Old 09-02-2014, 10:41 PM

Check out www.banjohangout.com for lots of info/videos/lessons/advice. Might be too late for this one, but there are other camps all over the country, usually in the spring/summer/fall.

As I have found (just started playing the banjo myself), there are lots of similarities and many more differences between the two instruments, but knowing how to play the guitar will help immensely once you get used to the differences IMO.

BTW - I got a great deal from a local seller on a Recording King RK-R80 from the classifieds on Banjohangout

Edit - Forgot, but you might also want to check out the Banjo Newsletter

2002 Ovation Celebrity CC057 (for sale)
2006 Taylor T5-C2 Blue Edge Burst
2006 Fender American Strat
2006 Taylor T5C-12 Ovangkol (for sale)
2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique
2002 TaylorStock 810 Custom
2008 R. Taylor Style 1 Sinker Redwood/Indian Rosewood

Last edited by ksj; 09-02-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:05 PM

Check out the Banjo Hangout, too

www.banjohangout.org

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:35 PM

I just started looking through banjo hangout. It isn't as extensive as AGF or mandolin cafe, but a nice site nonetheless.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:00 PM

The thing about banjo playing, at least in three-finger Scruggs style, is that everything is based on established right hand patterns or rolls. You can do things within the structure of these rolls to highlight melody notes, or add a sense of syncopation or drive, but basically your right hand isn't as free to pick any string you want at any time, like you can with guitar. If you're learning from tab or other written sources, it's not a big deal. But the first time you branch out to learn by ear, or do your own arrangements, you may feel limited a little until you learn to work within that structure.

On the other hand, the open G tuning can make a lot of your neck work a little easier to figure out.

Speed, and coordination between hands, are the things I always struggled with, and are the same things that are now making guitar flatpicking challenging for me.

BTW, I just watched Deering's video on the Eagle II - looks like an interesting instrument.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 09-05-2014, 06:22 PM

If you have a budget of $1500 pass on the Goodtime.

Consider the Saga Gold Star 85 or 100 series.

Gold Tone upper end but no gold it is a substitute for quality.

banjohangout for sure.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post
BTW, I just watched Deering's video on the Eagle II - looks like an interesting instrument.
The resonator version (the one I have) has a darker tone than most other resonator banjos I have played. I think that is why it appealed to me. I know a lot of bluegrass banjo players want the loudest, brightest banjo they can get their hands on. Having played guitar with banjos of this description, I was looking for something slightly different. Not totally different, just a subtle shift in tone. This is what I got with the Eagle. Believe me, I still have no trouble being heard, but I have had several people compliment my tone already (I have been playing for a week, so I don't think it is all me).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments