The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-04-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
Thanks. Appreciate the info.

If you have a moment, could you send me the link to the website where you bought the parts. I know Mandolin Bros has a lot of stuff, but it seemed kinda pricey when I looked there.
Got everything on eBay.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 09-04-2014, 06:54 AM

Hi charmedlife417

If you're going to play mandolin the Mandolin Cafe is the place to go for great help and information. If you join there's a guy on the forum there, Rob Meldrum, who has a free pdf booklet about how to set up your mandolin. It's quite good. I've copied this from the forum there:

"Just send an email to [email protected] with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and I will email you a copy for free (free to all mandolincafe members). "

Even if you don't do the set up work yourself, it's good to know about it.

Jack
Old 09-04-2014, 08:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCook1 View Post
Hi charmedlife417

If you're going to play mandolin the Mandolin Cafe is the place to go for great help and information. If you join there's a guy on the forum there, Rob Meldrum, who has a free pdf booklet about how to set up your mandolin. It's quite good. I've copied this from the forum there:

"Just send an email to [email protected] with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and I will email you a copy for free (free to all mandolincafe members). "

Even if you don't do the set up work yourself, it's good to know about it.

Jack
Jack: Thanks. I will definitely check it out when I have a moment. Funny you should mention this because I was thinking just this past week of learning to do my own setups, at least on guitar. I have about nine acoustics now, and that can get expensive. I've got a good mechanical aptitude and a lot of tools, and have been working on my own cars for decades (learned this from my schoolteacher dad, who had to do it out of necessity just to keep our vehicles rolling).

Thanks Again, Jack.

CL
Old 09-04-2014, 08:59 AM

CL,

The booklet is specifically about setting up mandolins, but setting up guitars is pretty similar - you're looking at the saddle height, the nut, the neck relief - so a lot of the info in the book is probably transferrable in certain ways. Guitars most likely have slightly different specs for string height, etc., than mandos, but it shouldn't be too different. It's good to be able to do your own setups, or at least tweak them. Good luck with it!

Jack

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments