The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Default kanilea ukulele

Well I took a big step and I am going to pick up my concert kanilea ukulele today I wanted to have one more fun thing to play.looking forward to joining ukulele club .
Taylor mini Koa,
huss and Dalton 00 sp Engelmann and rosewood back and sides
Felix preamp
Aer compact 60/3
Fishman loadbox performer
bose s1 pro
Old 08-20-2014, 10:15 AM

Kanilea is one of the really good "big K" brands from Hawaii - a very nice choice. If you need a handle on basic chord charts and other related learning material, check out my uke club web site: www.boiseukulelegroup.com under the "Instruction" page.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Having recently bought a Kanilea Guitarlele through the local Craig's List, I can attest to their quality. I think you will enjoy playing ukulele. I have a Ko'olau and a Kamaka, both 4 string ukuleles, and both among the 4 Hawaiian 'K' brands. Kanilea is right up there with these. The fourth of the big 'K' brands is KoAloha, which I have never seen yet in person, though I know that Daniel Ho plays these in his concerts and recordings.

One thing I would suggest considering - instead of mentally trying to think of the ukulele from a guitar perspective (i.e. like a guitar capo'ed at the 5th fret), treat it as learning a new instrument. Get away from the guitar and all the baggage and muscle memory and make a fresh start. If your ukulele is tuning in the standard high G (re-entrant "My Dog Has Fleas" tuning), this will be easy enough to do. Be creative, use your ear, doodle around on the fretboard and listen to what sounds you come up with. The ukulele just invites that sort of exploration. Spend time picking out simple melodies and just find notes on other strings that sound good with the melody. The ukulele is great for this sort of activity, where the guitar is sometimes just too much.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-01-2014, 02:29 PM

Steve congrats on purchasing one of the big K's, wonderful choice.

I have the K-1S SM hoping to purchase a tenor slothead one day soon.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments