The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-09-2014, 01:31 PM

Default Mid-Range Mando Recommendation: Morgan Monroe vs Eastman?

Hi all.

I picked up a cheapie beginner mando a few months ago just to learn on and have now decided to upgrade. I'm a lefty, so my choices are limited and I never get to play stuff until it arrives on my doorstep, so I'm looking for something decent and pretty consistent build quality.

I'm looking for recommendations on which of the following would be the best purchase:

A serious mando playing friend of mine suggested I look for a lefty A-style Weber, but I'm not finding any in the $1000 range (or at all).

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2014, 01:48 PM

I would wouldn't compare morgan monroe with eastman, IMO eastman is on another level and has a much better sound/build quality. I don't think the morgan monroe would be much of a step up from what you already have.

I suggest this one personally

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=8375

A styles represent better bang for the buck and these look sweet. The mandolin store is also one of the best places to buy a mandolin online.

Psst you can probably talk them down on the price a bit if need be

You could find an weber absoroka in the 1000 range but it would be pretty lucky to find a left handed one, as they aren't very popular models to begin with. The next step up would be a gallatin and that's getting up there especially for a lefty model.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Eastmans are a couple levels above a Monroe. Easy.

Eastmans are a level above Weber in that price range. Webers are over-rated. Eastmans are much better than the Webers at this level. Folks have a hard time admitting it because they are PacRim. Do the homework, and play a few of each and the decision is easy.

Eastman's demographics are designed for someone at this point in your playing; ready to move from a student to a player.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:15 PM

Between those two... Eastman.

It may also be worth your time to contact Big Muddy and see if they can fix you up south-paw style. http://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/store/
Old 08-09-2014, 03:29 PM

Thanks, everyone!

So it looks like Eastman is the way to go. Does anyone have an opinion on the MD505 vs the MD605? Jerry's lefty guitars has a 605 for only a little more than the 505.

Thanks, again!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:36 PM

The 605 has more appointments, but none that affect tone, or playability. They are, essentially, the same instrument.

If you don't have the chance to sit and play both, I would go for the 605 as it will be easier to resell when you are ready for your next jump up.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryinAZ View Post
The 605 has more appointments, but none that affect tone, or playability. They are, essentially, the same instrument.

If you don't have the chance to sit and play both, I would go for the 605 as it will be easier to resell when you are ready for your next jump up.
This. I have not seen major differences in tone between the levels of Eastman mandolins. An 815 generally does not sound appreciably better than a 615, especially not for the price. This is very different from something like the Kentucky, where the Km-1000 and higher are built in an entirely different factory form the regular models. A lot of people (myself included) think that the current Chinese Kentucky MMs are equal to the early 80s models.

On point, I would take pretty much any Eastman over any Morgan Monroe. Depending on the music you play, a used Weber Hyalite would be a good choice and can be found for under $1K. Although, I must admit I have never been blown away by a Weber. Don't get me wrong, they are fine instruments, but I have never been wowed by one, even the Ferns. That is probably because I am looking for a bluegrass mandolin and Weber has just never quite found the right tone (IMO). I would take a Kentucky KM-1500 over pretty much any Weber I have played.

Spend some time over at www.mandolincafe.com. It is a fantastic website.

Last edited by posternutbag; 08-09-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
This. I have not seen major differences in tone between the levels of Eastman mandolins. An 815 generally does not sound appreciably better than a 615, especially not for the price. This is very different from something like the Kentucky, where the Km-1000 and higher are built in an entirely different factory form the regular models. A lot of people (myself included) think that the current Chinese Kentucky MMs are equal to the early 80s models.

On point, I would take pretty much any Eastman over any Morgan Monroe. Depending on the music you play, a used Weber Hyalite would be a good choice and can be found for under $1K. Although, I must admit I have never been blown away by a Weber. Don't get me wrong, they are fine instruments, but I have never been wowed by one, even the Ferns. That is probably because I am looking for a bluegrass mandolin and Weber has just never quite found the right tone (IMO). I would take a Kentucky KM-1500 over pretty much any Weber I have played.

Spend some time over at www.mandolincafe.com. It is a fantastic website.
You just have to take webers for what they are. They are NOT classic gibson-esque bluegrass machines. To me, at least mine, is more than that. It has a much sweeter tone and it's got a much more versatile sound.

I really think webers get their sound from the neck angle, everyone I've seen has a very shallow neck angle and a pretty low bridge. I do wonder what mine would sound like if i gave it more angle
Old 08-10-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
You just have to take webers for what they are. They are NOT classic gibson-esque bluegrass machines. To me, at least mine, is more than that. It has a much sweeter tone and it's got a much more versatile sound.

I really think webers get their sound from the neck angle, everyone I've seen has a very shallow neck angle and a pretty low bridge. I do wonder what mine would sound like if i gave it more angle
I do not disagree with anything you wrote. I am chasing that Loar F-5 tone, but for a mid level, versatile mandolin in the $1k range, you could do much worse than a used Weber Hyalite, as long as you don't want that Gibson Loar tone.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:43 PM

Thanks, everyone! I guess I'll give the Eastman at Jerry's a shot.

Now I feel like I should start a fight about Taylor vs Breedlove.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:04 PM

You could get this and string it left handed. Nothing to it just flip the bridge and flip the strings.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/78639
Old 08-15-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
You could get this and string it left handed. Nothing to it just flip the bridge and flip the strings.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/78639
I saw that too. Nice mandolin; you could probably negotiate down $100 or so; $750 would be a very good but still fair price.

I know that you can set up a right-handed mandolin to play lefty. You will have to change the nut, the bridge and maybe the tailpiece (although Weber style tailpieces should be ambidextrous).

However, as I understand it, this is not a perfect solution. The Hyalite is tone bar braced, which should make it more ambidextrous than an x-braced mandolin, but with a carved top, wouldn't the top be graduated so that the bass side (when right handed) is slightly thinner than the treble side?

This is why I learned to play right-handed. You really don't know if a left-handed instrument is really left-handed in all aspects, or just strung backwards.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:47 PM

FYI: Took delivery of an Eastman 605 today. Sounds great. Plays great. Not the best finish I've ever seen (there are a few rough spots), but it's perfect for me at this point.

Upshot: it has a pickup that sounds pretty OK!

Downside: I have no idea what that pickup is!

Seems to be some kind of contact mic. Mounted just under the treble side of the bridge. About the size of a dime. White.

Any idea what it might be?
Old 08-18-2014, 01:27 AM

Congratulations on getting your Eastman 605 - good choice too though! Be sure to let us know how it feels in your hands and how you feel playing it
Old 08-18-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
FYI: Took delivery of an Eastman 605 today. Sounds great. Plays great. Not the best finish I've ever seen (there are a few rough spots), but it's perfect for me at this point.

Upshot: it has a pickup that sounds pretty OK!

Downside: I have no idea what that pickup is!

Seems to be some kind of contact mic. Mounted just under the treble side of the bridge. About the size of a dime. White.

Any idea what it might be?
Is it a Schertler Reso Coil?

As to the fit and finish, that is the biggest knock on these mandolins. I have what I think is among the very first, if not the very first Eastman mandolin made. The finish is pretty rough at the neck joint and under the fingerboard extension. You have to be pretty close to notice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments