The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-08-2014, 04:53 AM

Default mending cracks in a mandoline

Hi pluckers and stummers,
I have for several years bought and collected mandolins and uku's, but the mandolins I can afford are always split in one or more places on the bowl.
I have been a collector/player for 54 years of acoustic guitars and have successfully mended several splits so I thought I would attack a mandolin.
I appreciate that a Luthier would probably not do it like this but it does work, So this is how do I :-
1. Clean the crack as best you can with a small nail file ( used for finger nails) this will clean the crack well except for the area where the crack starts and ends, here you use fine glass/sand paper 300/400 grade.
2. Cut a piece of light coloured wood and keep the saw dust. You need to use a very fine saw because the mixture you are going to make needs to be extra fine.
3. Hold the mandolin in the sunlight with the saw dust and colour with wood stain., only use a drip at a time and wait until dry until you add more colour. You must do this slowly as the coloured saw dust will normally lighten as it dries. When you have the correct colour leave the coloured dust in a dry place. Remember it is the colour of the filled crack you need and not the colour of the wood.!
4. Now ! Using Decorators masking tape ( this is less sticky) than normal masking tape, tape either side of the crack ,but be very accurate and do it slowly-- if the kettle boils- leave it. Tape EXACTLY to the crack edge.
5. Now mix the coloured saw dust with a good quality wood glue that when dry does not leave a colour ( its says it on the tube!) This is where you will find out how fine your dust is as when it is mixed with the glue it needs to be a fine paste.
6. Press the mixture into the crack and make sure you don't just put a coat of it on the face -- very important!!
7. I would suggest you leave this to dry for 2-two- days so you are sure that the paste in the crack is set.
8. Do not take off the tape, and you will have a slightly raised line of dried paste. Use you nail file to file down the raised areas, this will take some time!
9. Take some 800/1000 grade wet and dry paper and wrap it around a small file. This is where you need 'spit'. Spit on the paper and PUSH ( do not pull as you have no control) along the joint slowly but quite firmly but ensure you keep on the filled crack-- its best!, keep spitting and keep filing until the job is done
10. There you are, now you know what you are doing this Weekend!!!!!!!!

Stephen

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments