The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2008, 04:23 PM

Default Preamp for ES

I am the proud owner of a 2008 426CE-LTD. I absolutely love the sound of the guitar unplugged, but the Expression System leaves a little bit to be desired. It's not horrible and can be EQ'd, but it's not the best "out of the box" sound I've ever heard.

My question relates to preamps. Other than the K4, do any of you have any recommendations for preamps that work will with the ES? I don't necessarily need balanced inputs. However, a substantial control of the midrange is necessary. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-09-2008, 05:30 PM
*mahoganut*

I've not noticed a problem on my ES's - but everyone's ears are different. Behringer makes some very nice little mixers - Xenix 502 is one - for under $75 that have nice balanced/unbalanced XLR or 1/8" inputs for 2 ch (and 3 more unbal ch) with reasonable H/M/L eq. I've had the 802 and 1202 (earlier and current models).

Also for a bit more I've heard v good things about the Highlander preamp - but at K4 prices.

I'm sure others will chime in with ideas. Good luck with your 426!

rr

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 12-09-2008, 05:55 PM

I use a LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI as well as running into a Behringer Mixer (Cheap 8 channel mixer) Then into a make shift P.A system as well as splitting at the DI and running into a guitar amp. This works well for my purposes which is not live performance.

There is a bunch of info available in the electrified forum. If I had known I probably would not have tried the LR Baggs.

Jerry
Old 12-09-2008, 06:04 PM

I've had the best results with my K4.

On a budget however, I also had great results with the Presonus EQ3B 3 band parametric EQ. ("Poor man's K4"), which ran about 100 bucks.

I also had great results with the BBE Acoustimax. I liked it better than the LR Baggs PADI, although the Baggs PADI is still the one I keep in my case due to it's portability, ability to run on phantom power, and it's nifty little midrange para EQ that does get the job done.

My ancient thoughts on each here:

EQ3B
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87173

Acoustimax
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95313

Back then I had opted not to go with a K4 due to getting lost in the mix with the nice natural tone I could dial in. I now have a different guy running sound that is able to tweak me out to be able to use the K4 for my best sound on stage and still be heard in the mix out front. Best of both worlds.

Last edited by Joe F; 12-09-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:22 PM

I looked at my signal chain again. I also have inline (at the moment) a BBE MaxComm compressor with Sonic Maximizer. The Maximizer is set for +3/4 treble process and +1/4 for bass. No real reason that is where it landed. The compressor is set for Auto attack/release and the ratio is set about 1.5:1. This calms the heavy strum -vs- the light pick enough to satisfy my taste without compression artifact and my need to be a little quiet after the family goes to bed, also, the gate is set at -50 which takes the hiss and small amount of buzz out. Then I go into the PADI which is all at 0 settings full gain and 1 on the volume setting. D on the notch and 1.5 on the mids. then I split one to the mixer for recording with other source or quality level checking as well as to the strobe for on the fly tuning checking. The other goes the the P.A which really is the cream because it is transparent acoustic to my ears as well as my wife and daughters. I can also bring in my modeling pedal to bring in any of 100 amp types and any combination of effects that I want to play with, never use it unless I am seriously bored.....

The PADI is great for the split if nothing else and really it has never been the limiting factor for me, I am the limiting facter.

Jerry
Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 PM

With my ES I'm using the Ultrasound DI Plus. It doesn't have a sweepable mid control but rather a shape switch which cuts the mids and boosts the bass and treble. With that and some slight adjusting of the B/T I get a very good tone. I use it when I'm playing into a PA setup.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion