The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-25-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom PC View Post
...I can see the idea in getting a basic, but decent SS amp - the Carvin SX300 looks very capable, but a bit large/heavy and not readily available in my neck of the woods (Scandinavia)...my band practice will be through a PA system for now. But I also like the idea of having at least some basic options WRT "playing out loud"...
Not to belabor the point but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, Thom. One of the Carvin's features that I failed to mention is a cabinet-voiced line out - in other words, what you hear through the mains/monitors is essentially the same thing you hear directly through the amp - which, unless I miss my guess, seems to be what you're after; as far as weight is concerned, it's relatively lightweight for its output level - about 25% lighter than a Twin Reverb and 1/3 less than a Vox AC30 - and if you're looking to "play out loud" this one'll definitely get the job done. As to the availability for audition, it's strictly a mail-order proposition; that said, you won't be disappointed - a former bandmate had one of the "lawsuit" mid-80's X-100 Mesa Boogie clones (complete with wicker grille and varnished red oak cabinet - wish I'd bought one back in the day ) and I presently use an MB12 as my grab-&-go bass amp, so I speak from personal experience here - and the worst case scenario is that they have a no-fault 10-day return policy...
Old 09-25-2015, 03:46 PM

True story, it isn't tiny but it's solid state so considerably lighter than a tube amp of similar size.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars