The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-02-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post

Below is a straight edge over an unglued bridge. You folks have likely glued hundreds more bridges than I have so tell me if you think the string tension will put it level. When I pressed the belly out, I pushed it about 1/16" further than I needed, to account for rebound. However, when the clamps came off there was very little rebound.

Also, the new bridge is slightly domed/concave (by design). But the bridge surface on the instrument (the spruce and bridge plate) is entirely flat now. Should I expect the bridge plate to conform to the bridge? Should I try to work some radius back into the top?
I find that my tops pull up about 1/16" when the guitar is first strung. What you are doing is somewhat comparable, but the amount it will come up depends on the top and the bracing.

I think it is best to flatten the bottom of the bridge to match the top. You don't want to thin the ends of the bridge wings too much, but IMO most factory bridges are thicker in the wings than they need to be. I would say don't take off more than 1/32" at the ends of the wings. It's actually surprising that the bridge is concave on bottom--I'd check with Bourgeois to make sure that is intended.

You may not be the original owner, but I think you will find that Dana or someone else at Bourgeois will be glad to look at your photos and talk with you, and that you should try that before going further. I'll repeat that they know the history of their guitars.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
It's actually surprising that the bridge is concave on bottom--I'd check with Bourgeois to make sure that is intended.
Howard, if the top is built with an intentional arch, it might well be supposed by many that the optimum procedure would be to match the profile of the underside of the bridge to the curvature of the top prior to gluing the bridge on, rather than forcing the arch of the top to conform to a flat bridge underside.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair