The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-06-2017, 08:55 AM

Default Drop of glue underneath the top?

Hi all,

I have a 12 string with a Sitka Spruce top and having an issue. Down toward the edge of the bout I have a slight raise where the top is seamed together. It is not a crack but I am afraid it will eventually turn into one. I was wondering if I can somehow get down into the sound hole and apply a drop of tight bond to the inside and put some pressure on the top until it dries will that help prevent it from becoming a crack or is it not recommended due to stiffening the top? I have had some humidity issues in the past that I guess caused this but I have it sorted out now. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2017, 09:17 AM

If there's no crack or separation.... What will the glue do?

Normal glues don't add strength when they are globbbed on top of things...

I would start with a flashlight, mirror, and a thin feeler gage. Check for gaps, cracks, and separation.

If none - just leave it alone. Guitars normally develop a belly and some top distortion over time. And 12 strings have more tension than 6 string models.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
Hi all,

I have a 12 string with a Sitka Spruce top and having an issue. Down toward the edge of the bout I have a slight raise where the top is seamed together. It is not a crack but I am afraid it will eventually turn into one. I was wondering if I can somehow get down into the sound hole and apply a drop of tight bond to the inside and put some pressure on the top until it dries will that help prevent it from becoming a crack or is it not recommended due to stiffening the top? I have had some humidity issues in the past that I guess caused this but I have it sorted out now. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
that is the most common location for a crack from dehydration and wood shrinkage. It sounds like you are over humidified and the wood is swollen.

Pictures will get you more accurate advice but, I would not recommend adding glue prophylactically.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-06-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
that is the most common location for a crack from dehydration and wood shrinkage. It sounds like you are over humidified and the wood is swollen.

Pictures will get you more accurate advice but, I would not recommend adding glue prophylactically.
We need to be careful of making suggestive determinations. With the info the OP gave, the guitar could be over, under, or perfectly humidified. TruckJohn states well above that many guitars develop top distortions over time.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 02-06-2017, 11:18 AM

Well the guitar went for a while under low humidity conditions but since then has been rectified. This slight little raise developed under dry conditions.Even though humidity is good now and back and top overall has the slight rock with a straightedge, that little raise is still there. Reason I ask about glue is strictly preventative so it does not turn into a crack. If you run your finger over it you can feel it slightly raised on the one spot. I would think that under proper humidity conditions it shouldnt crack, but 1. I dont trust that it wont crack sometime and 2. it really bothers me.
If I push down on the spot I can see in the gloss that it is moving. My hope is to drop some glue on it from underneath and apply pressure until it dries. I am thinking that if I can stop it from moving I can prevent a crack. Hope that clears things up. Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
We need to be careful of making suggestive determinations. With the info the OP gave, the guitar could be over, under, or perfectly humidified. TruckJohn states well above that many guitars develop top distortions over time.
good reminder Ned

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-06-2017, 12:11 PM

Without a photo, there isn't much useful advice people can give you other than putting a drop of glue on the inside of the top in that area is not the right thing to do.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:07 PM

Here is a magnified pic and hopefully it will show what I am talking about. It looks separated in the pic but magnified to the eye its doesnt appear that way.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-06-2017, 06:12 PM

Phil,

Is that on the centre line ?, can you do a slight distance shot.

From the look of the grain, that could actually be a split either in the lacquer or full through top split.

If that is on the centre line, very unusual body shape, referencing the rear binding.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-06-2017, 06:29 PM

Hi Steve,

Not on the center line. Follow high E strings straight down and its there. Cant really see anything but here are 2 more pics. Maybe it might just be in the clear. [IMG][/IMG] AND [IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-06-2017, 06:42 PM

Yep, I can see that one.

Do yourself a favour, destring it, and place a mirror and light inside the guitar.

Normally I use alcohol, but that is after comfirming alcohol wont damage the finish.

Using alcohol I drizzle a little over the suspect area and see if the inside of the guitar gets wet, if it shows dampness you have a crack that needs repairing, if no dampness you have a lacquer crack which is appearing from a possible weakness or area that is getting fatigued easily.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-06-2017, 10:03 PM

It's a crack. Take it to a competent repair shop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair