The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-15-2011, 03:23 PM

Default collings c10 or 1930's gibson L-00

For fingerstyle blues. price is about the same. the c-10 is new its a updated copy of a L-00 got a truss rod and collings makes great stuff. almost scary perfect build quality on most ive played and i owned a collings mandolin.

But i love the funky sound of the original L-00 it is one of the holy grail blues guitars. a ex-girlfriends dad had one that i played all the time years ago. so i am more familiar with its sound. if i bought i would buy a good one thats neck has been reset,refret no problems etc.

i live in the sticks. there is not a collings dealer in my state. and finding either would be a crap shoot around here. so i most likely will be buying from a online dealer with a good return policy.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:27 PM

I would probably get the collings c10 without a doubt!!!!, but maybe because you already know the sound signature of the gibson l-00 you might go for that.

here's a forum member playing his c10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Dml...eature=related
also has a description in the video.

maybe he will chime later!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:42 PM

If you're buying sight unseen I don't think there is a safer purchase than a Collings because of their superb and consistent build quality. But if you already know you love the tone of the vintage Gibson, well then nothing else may really satisfy. My vote is to go Gibson.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

That's a no-brainer for me... I'd buy the Collings and be quite happy.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:04 PM

Not the same thing, but I have a Gibson LG1 I would trade for a C-10 in a heartbeat. I don't know if the L-00 is anything like the LG1, but the C-10 is way more responsive, with a richer and more open tone that the LG1.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Thinking about it the collings would be a safe choice. And I like the dog hair black/mother of toilet seat look. Kinda Stella gambler look. Thanks guys
Old 09-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

After searching for a old Martin or Gibson 00 I went with the Bourgeois 00 Country Boy.
Within the old stuff there were too many losers. Some, the cleats on the cracks were a significant part of the weight! And, old doesn't mean it will sound great. I have played many C10's. Never played a bummer. I would have gone C10 as quick as I went Bourgeois. I just found one I could not put down.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbie View Post
That's a no-brainer for me... I'd buy the Collings and be quite happy.
+1 on that. I've played a Collings C-10 and they are fantastic. I'm not much of a risk taker when it comes to spending at that price point and I see buying a vintage guitar as fraught with unknowns. Why not go with a sure bet and a Collings is indeed a sure bet.

Also, you can look for a used one, here is an example:

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/collings.html

Good luck.

Rob
Old 09-16-2011, 05:55 AM

drewblue,
I think you're considering two guitars which are significantly different.
The C10 is NOT a copy of a prewar Gibson L00. The C10 may look alike from outside, body size etc., but lots of construction details (neck joint, bracing etc) are different.
Collings has successfullly established its very own signature sound on all models (Collings rosewood dreads don't sound like Martin bones, Collings round shoulders don't sound like Banner Gibsons). And this is intended so and has been stated by Bill Collings many times.

Clearly, buying sight unseen, means taking almost no risk with Collings as consistent as they are.

You simply can't go the same route with Gibsons, let alone vintage ones.

However, 30s L00s in good condition are not that rare. It may take some efforts but it's not a real big deal to locate several nice ones which you should see and play in person and you have a good chance to find a great one.

The C10 in the video posted sounds nowhere near a vintage small body Gibson, though it sounds great.

Both are great fingerpickers, in addition the C10 is a much more versatile guitar and not too bad for flatpicking/strumming.
The C10 has a great tone and will work great for playing the blues, but you'll never get that signature sweet, dry, fundamental vintage Gibson blues tone.

If I were you I would first of all make up my mind what I'm really looking for.

If you narrow everything down to those two guitars, you have the choice between
1. a more modern sounding, more versatile, fit and finish next to perfect guitar with warranty and all that, and
2. the real bluesbox with a lot of character of its own.

If you decide it's not worth the hassle to find a great 30s Gibson, simply order a Collings online and you'll be on the safe side. However, personally I think it's not simply about being on the safe side but to possibly find the one and only that suits me best and gives me what I really like.

For me personally there'd be no question: I'd definitely go for the Gibson.

Edited:

Forgot to point out another major difference:

The C10 is long scale, whereas L00s are short scale guitars.

Good luck

Michael

Last edited by michid28; 09-16-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:09 PM

As others have pointed out, the build-quality of the Collings is sure to be superb and the consistency that they achieve is remarkable. But as has also been mentioned, a Collings C-10 is not going to sound like a 30's Gibson L-00.

If you're considering new guitars and looking for something that comes closer to the vintage Gibson vibe, you might also take a look at John Greven's instruments.

I'd personally love to own a 30's era L-00, and I've had a chance to buy a few (mostly years ago when the prices were cheaper as I've been looking at this model for some time now). I could pretty much never find one that had the combination of a neck I liked along with the tone that I liked. Finding one or the other didn't seem to be too difficult, but finding both in the same example was surprisingly elusive.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The C10 is long scale, whereas L00s are short scale guitars.
FWIW, the C-10 is also available in short scale. Collings short scale is 25" rather than 24.75".
Old 09-16-2011, 09:48 PM

From what I know of them Collings are great guitars but my first Gibson back in the 1960s was an L-00 so I guess I am biased.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
FWIW, the C-10 is also available in short scale. Collings short scale is 25" rather than 24.75".
Correct.
The C10 scale lenght is 25 1/2" which is long scale. I may be custom ordered as short scale 24 7/8".

Michael

Last edited by michid28; 09-17-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:22 AM

+1

John Greven can make a Gibson better than Gibson. Plus being a custom builder he can make it to your specs with impacable detail and finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
As others have pointed out, the build-quality of the Collings is sure to be superb and the consistency that they achieve is remarkable. But as has also been mentioned, a Collings C-10 is not going to sound like a 30's Gibson L-00.

If you're considering new guitars and looking for something that comes closer to the vintage Gibson vibe, you might also take a look at John Greven's instruments.

I'd personally love to own a 30's era L-00, and I've had a chance to buy a few (mostly years ago when the prices were cheaper as I've been looking at this model for some time now). I could pretty much never find one that had the combination of a neck I liked along with the tone that I liked. Finding one or the other didn't seem to be too difficult, but finding both in the same example was surprisingly elusive.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion