The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2005, 07:28 AM

Wink Thanks ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdiel
Kevin used to work at a "quality guitar shop in Nazareth, PA" and still keeps in touch with people there. He's probably best source on this forum to be able to say what is and isn't being done at that particular manufacturer.

I think that Ramsa's claims are far more spurious than anything Kevin has said. Ramsa is the one who has claimed that they are made either in the "worst sweatshop in Asia" or at Martin. That doesn't even make sense. Nobody cranking out thousands of guitars from China is going to all of a sudden strike up a deal with one of the premier quality mass-manufacturers in the world (I think their profit margin might just drop the tensiest little bit, for one thing) to "keep up production" and the idea that Martin would be a part of that kind of marketing is an insult to the people that work there.
For the straight dope. I thought that to be an awfully suspicious claim.Also, thanks for chiming in about Kevin...that puts that to rest.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Boats too big....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael K
A good "beater" for the boat...or a good paddle for the boat?

Sorry, I'll shut up now.
for a paddle. Life raft maybe.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

So where do I get one of those new solid wood Martin Estaban signature models I've been hearing about on this forum? Sounds like a great deal.

sorry, didn't mean to start any rumors.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Default maybe someday we'll get the rest of the story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gallagher
There are NO Estaban guitars....NOT ONE being made in a quality shop in Nazareth, PA.
Hi Kevin (and others)...
I am enjoying this ''discussion'' (rant, fling etc). You are correct of course that the guitars are likely not even driven through Nazareth, PA enroute to the warehouses where they are shipped from. But aren't guitar rumors and guitar lore a hoot.

It does not surprise me that Geico is poking fun at Extavan...they have been poking fun at several faux ''stars & heros'' for a while now (and they are allowing it).

It also would not surprise me if the famous Estaban indeed owned a guitar which was truly made in Nazareth for his personal use.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-16-2005, 07:58 AM

Talking It appears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnByker
So where do I get one of those new solid wood Martin Estaban signature models I've been hearing about on this forum? Sounds like a great deal.

sorry, didn't mean to start any rumors.
That I have one in my posession. Althought it has sentimental value ( a family heirloom) I might be willing to part with it for a price Care to make an offer????
It doubles as a dinghy. Very rare.
I also have some oceanfront property in New Mexico for sale..interested???
Old 08-16-2005, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Hi Michael...
Cheap guitars also comein handy for a spare snow shoe, cheese slicer or Snowboard with a handle.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-16-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Geico and Martin

I understand that many folks here have no idea who I am or who I think I am so I'll offer short bio. I own and operate Omega Guitars n Saylorsburg, PA, just 20 minutes north of Martin Guitar Co. I've been building instruments since the mid 70s and have more than 2000 electric guitars under my belt sold mostly as neck/body combinations like Strats and Teles and will hopefully break the 500 guitar mark this year with my Omega custom acoustic guitars. I've done repairs for alot of highly visible players and am fortunate enough to be triangulated by New York, Philadelphia and Hershey which all have great concert venues. Because of that geographical situation, I have gotten many calls for repair and set up help while artists are in my area and have time to get together for me to do the work. I've built everything from mandolins to ukeleles to harp guitars and have always been an avid student of all builders in any genre. I research the philosophies and techniques of builders of the past and always keep abreast of what is being tried or done by modern builders. We small shop builders have freely shared information and ideas with one another in order to broaden our R&D base and capabilities since many of us work alone and on a tight schedule. I am back ordered over three years for custom acoustic guitars and don't have as much time to try new ideas as I'd like so I drop an email to or call a few other builders who I'm friendly with and have confidence in to share an idea so they are able to try it or expound on its principle to get it into use in any or all of our shops. The big guys need to be more protective of their technology since a single idea can revolutionize their output capabilities. It's a little more like eating in prison when you reach that level of production...you'd better lean close to your plate or your food may just disappear.

Esteban does, indeed, own a beautiful Martin D-41 that he proudly displays during his infomercial and refers to often as he compares his Esteban guitar to it...."It just shines and shines.". The whole infomercial goes to show you that a good musician is a good musician no matter what instrument they play. A great carpenter can take the cheapest tools and build a finer house than an inexperienced builder can while using the finest tools available. I have close friends who own a local music store and have a great stock of entry level guitars from several manufacturers. The owner's son is a great country and blues guitarist and I tend to exhibit my roots in jazz and rock more when I demo a guitar there while visiting. Most folks who hear an experenced player strike a few chords or licks on even an inexpensive guitar are sold quickly since the potential of great music coming from it is made an obvious reality. I pop in once a week to do a quick check and set up of all new guitars that he has come in to be sure that there will be no surprizes for his customers. It's a worthwhile time investment for me since I know many of the families that bring their children there for their first guitar. Anyway, any experienced player has had opportunity to lend some inspiration to younger budding guitarist as they take their beginner or entry level instrument and play a song for them. I had it happen to me personally when I began playing at age five and had a less than stellar Silvertone that just sounded incredible as my older cousin picked it up and whipped out some very impressive licks on it. I remeber thinking, "Wow, this guitars sounds great!....at least when he plays it."

Esteban has had recordings out for years and has a pretty deep following in certain circles, but so does John Tesh and most folks know him only as a former TV show host. John is a fne musician that has wisely surrounded himself with great talent as he's pushed the interest of music education over the years. His Live At Red Rocks DVD is a fun and entertaining hour of music in which you canhear some inspiring playing on any of the instruments represented on it.

Finally, to clarify and underscore the Martin making Esteban guitars issue. I did work there in the early 90s and had a great relationship with all of the management and employees and have maintained close friendships with many over the years since. I still take the public tour regularly and keep in touch with friends in several departments there from research and development to finishing to wood selection and sawing. Martin is so busy producing their own guitars to address their deep backlog that comes with a huge customer demand that they wouldn't have a minute to spare on the floor of their state of the art facility to even offer to build guitars for anyone else if they wanted to. Martin builds ONLY Martin guitars and anyone in the know at the plant would quickly and clearly confirm that. They have invested so many millions of dollars in the evolution of their guitars and all of the processes used in their construction that they are wise and careful about recovering it by intensely focusing on delivering them as quickly as possible while not compromising quality in any way.

Just to put a bit more revelation behind my earlier statements.

Thanks and Regards,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars
Old 08-16-2005, 10:45 AM

I played an Esteban at a guitar store on Friday. They had taken it in on trade for next to nothing (pack of strings) and have it displayed proudly on a stand with a homemade sign and a price of $14,999.000 (joke). They get more grins and giggles out of this from customers. I picked it up and looked at it and played a few chords - what a piece of crap.

Sorry folks but I have read all the rants and always laughed but this is serious. Steven is ripping people off by trying to pass this off as a quality instrument. It is just a cheap mass produced wood box with strings. Not worth the $80 some paid for it. It's not a starter instrument it is just a very low quality import product produced by a guy that is cashing in and dupping an unsuspecting public. Sad really.

Btw, I have some miracle cleaner that uses real oxygen to whiten and brighten - anyone interested? If you order in the next 15 minutes I will double your order.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten
Which proves that a weak product can be successfully marketed. Too bad.

cotten
Win-doze, for example.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Esteban Geico Commercial!

I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that Steven Paul (Esteban) and Quick Draw McGraw (El Kabong) were twins separated at birth.

http://members.aol.com/PaulEC2/kabong.jpg

DJ
Old 08-16-2005, 11:35 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague
hey jeff, tell 'em to leave this guy alone. maybe his esteban was zagerized.

/guy
I can see it now;
eBay auction. Denny Zager, seller.
"ZAGERIZED ESTEBAN!!!!
This INCREDIBLE Esteban guitar, PERSONALLY signed by my good friend ESTEBAN himself...looks JUST LIKE those $10,000 guitars built by a well known builder whose name begins with the letter "M".
Set up by DENNY ZAGER using the SPECIALIZED SECRET "ZAGER SYSTEM". Saddle PERSONALLY CUT by DENNY ZAGER!! Frets crownded by DENNY ZAGER!! Fake fretboard coloring applied by DENNY ZAGER!! NEW STRINGS put on by DENNY ZAGER!!!!
Action so low the strings actually SIT ON THE FRETS (not a problem, the guitar will slowly fold in half in just a few months.) Only $9.950 !!!!"

Oh, the horror.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 08-16-2005, 12:02 PM

Here's another marketing phenomenon for you. How many guitars do you think would get sold with the word "Steve" on the headstock? You simply translate it into a latin language and you have "Esteban"....the mystique, the romance, the mystery.

Here's another experiment. Take about a dime or two worth of decent chocolate, melt it into a kids-size dixie cup, give it a romantic name like "chantico", and watch people line up to pay a couple bucks (or more) for it. Brilliant.
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes
Old 08-16-2005, 01:22 PM

Wink Thanks, Kevin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gallagher
I understand that many folks here have no idea who I am or who I think I am so I'll offer short bio.Just to put a bit more revelation behind my earlier statements.

Thanks and Regards,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars
For clearing that up. Credibility goes a long way.Hope to meet you one day.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:37 PM

I just can't resist responding to the mention of Tesh at Red Rocks. Several weeks ago in Denver there was a blurb in the paper about free tickets being available for an Estaban show at Red Rocks. Apparently he wanted to film part of his new instruction CD/infomercial at the 'Rocks and needed to fill seats.

Had I known he had so many admirers I might have gone. Stay tuned in case he says anything about a "sold out show" at Red Rocks...
Old 08-16-2005, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar
Hi Michael...
Cheap guitars also comein handy for a spare snow shoe, cheese slicer or Snowboard with a handle.
or firewood...just watch out for toxic fumes from whatever they use as a varnish.....

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion