The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-25-2024, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Default New Bob Dylan Biopic being filmed in NYC

New biopic being filmed in NYC while we speak!

https://variety.com/...rst-look-1235944944/

It's about Bob's early days in NYC. It should be great. They have actors playing several characters from that scene with their real names, but what happened to Susie Rotolo? She's been changed to Silvie Russo. Susie was too good for Bob and kicked his *** out of their 4th St apartment. ''Positively 4th St'' sounds like a cool song until you realize that it's just whiney-*** Bob, crying because Susie kicked him out!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I think it doesn't look too accurate;

James Mangoldm the director said “It’s a kind of ensemble piece about this moment in time, the early ’60s in New York, and this 17-year-old kid with $16 in his pockets hitchhikes his way to New York to meet Woody Guthrie who is in the hospital and is dying of a nerve disease. He sings Woody a song that he wrote for him and befriends Pete Seeger, who is like a son to Woody, and Pete sets him up with gigs at local clubs and there you meet Joan Baez and all these other people who are part of this world.”

Still looking forward to it!
Old 03-25-2024, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like Inside Llewyn Davis. Should be fun.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 03-25-2024, 07:53 AM

I'm openminded about this. Chalamet is pretty capable as an actor, but I haven't been exceedingly impressed with any of his performances, but again he's generally solid.

With Mangold, I liked "Ford vs. Ferrari", "Logan", "3:10 to Yuma", and "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny" I'd say was a success given the odds against it.

The real indicator is "Walk The Line" which was fine, but I found to be very conventional. The leads were great, but I just found it generally uninteresting. Same ol' arc: small, humble beginnings, rise to the top, drugs/alcohol, marriage falling apart, bottles are probably thrown, etc. I know that movie was incredibly popular, but not my cup of tea.

Dylan is incredibly interesting to me, though. So, I'll watch it.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:36 AM

This period (and a couple of years preceding it in Hibbing and Minneapolis) are important/formative ones. If the movie actually does a good job with portraying this time and the huge, leaping journey this young kid took from a multi-ethic company-town. to still somewhat antisemitic Minneapolis, and then to NYC have elements of a great story.

They're filming in NYC, so we kind of know they'll cover that.

Decades later, we know Bob Dylan, the songwriter that resulted, is a marvel -- but the things he did before he was 22 were huge leaps of audacity to get to the point where he could start being that artist.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM

I’m cautiously optimistic as a big Bob Dylan fan. I think I’m Not There was a garbled mess of a film with a few good performances but otherwise didn’t do any justice to his career or persona(s). It would be good if this film could go some ways to explaining my fascination to those friends of mine who just don’t get it.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Bob is such a unique individual that it’s hard for me to imagine anyone pulling that role off. Val Kilmer did a good job playing Jim Morrison, but said it took a while to recover afterwards.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-28-2024, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Will be filming next week at the White Mana diner in jersey City. This is an original diner (“The future of eating”) that was pulled from the 1939 NY Worlds Fair and dropped across the river en toto. Very futuristic and very cool. Still serving crappy burgers.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 03-29-2024, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Fifteen years ago maybe, my son lived in New York City. When we visited we stayed at the Washington Square Hotel, which was a flop house when Bob Dylan lived there. Now it is an expensive hotel with a door man. They can't tell you what room he lived in because the place has been renovated and that specific room is no longer that room. They don't play up the Bob Dylan angle which I thought was interesting. Anyway, back to the point, there is a Bob Dylan walking tour of Greenwich Village that you can do on your phone that takes you to the locations where he lived, ate, drank, and played, and tells you all about his rise to fame. My son walked it without us before we got there and did some more research on it all so he was quite the expert, then acted as our tour guide. It is a good tour.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 03-29-2024 at 07:40 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic