The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-29-2008, 02:45 PM

Default Recommendations Needed

It’s time for a new guitar. I’ve been playing my old beater Tak for 20 years now. It’s a cedar/lam. hog jumbo, basically a Lowden knockoff. It’s served me well, as well as a host of others over the years. It’s been through a lot – gigged here and there, traveled almost every weekend for a couple of years playing at different churches, banged around (tortured) in five different youth group praise bands, been on too many retreats and mission trips to count, even been dropped a few times, once in a rock garden! And she’s definitely showing her age and experience. She’s still has some legs under her and sings pretty sweet fingerplayed, but certainly not at her best, especially when aggressively strummed.

Currently, I do backup acoustic guitar and vocals at my church, as well as take the lead when needs be. I need an A/E guitar that will be suited for mostly strumming, as well some fingerpicking (for hymns, and accents). I’m leaning towards spruce/rose for a larger body (dread, GS, or jumbo), or cedar/rose for something smaller (GA, OM).

I’m open to New or Used guitars, although a better used makes more sense to me. This will be my only guitar purchase for the next 20 years, hopefully, so its gotta be a keeper.

Thanks for reading.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Tak Jumbo N20C "Judy"
Old 02-29-2008, 02:56 PM

Why not try a Faith. They are very nicely put together, with a great tone and the shadow nanoflex pickups are very realistic, when electricity beckons. And what an approriate name for your particular use.

Good luck.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thumbs up Recommendations Needed

I play an Larrivee LV-03RE in a praise and worship band at my church. It is smaller than a dread in the upper bout, but as large in the lower bout. Much more comfortable to strum, and it has a LR. Baggs element pickup with onboard preamp. It sounds just as good acoustic or amplified. It is all solid wood with Sitka spruce top, and EIRosewood back and sides. This is a professional guitar, and I believe it would be a keeper. Check out notableguitars.com, or guitaradoptions.com, or trinityguitars.com. These online dealers are all highly recommended on the Larrivee forum. I ordered mine from Jason at Notable. Good luck with your search. Look in the latest issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine for an article on the Larrivee guitar company.
Clifford
Old 02-29-2008, 03:48 PM

For the conditions you've described, I'd recommend an Ovation. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 02-29-2008, 04:52 PM

I've got a used Ovation 30th Anniversary for sale. I just logged on to post it and found this thread first. Check the For Sale threads in a few minutes.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 02-29-2008, 11:04 PM

If you decide to go shopping locally, let me know! I'm really good at spending other peoples' money.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:18 PM

Isn't a local reg in San Diego that you have to own at least one Taylor?

Why not head out the famous Buffalo Brothers and try some different guitars, see what you like.

BTW a GA is not a smaller guitar, it's a Dread in a girdle. Nice waist, same fat but.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:20 AM

Thanks so much guys for the replies.

Never heard of FAITH guitars. I'll keep my eyes & ears open. I've played a few Larry's and although I appreciate all that goes into them, I'm not crazy about their tone. the hog b/s models sounded hollow to my ear, and the rose b/s models were a little muddy when strummed hard. It could of course just be the ones I've played. My current guitar sounds a little hollow or muddy, and I was hoping for a significant improvement.

Ya know, I was never sold on the Ovation concept and sound, but I really do appreciate the thoughtful suggestion.

GRW3, I definitely feel like a fugitive around these parts, toting around a japanese copy of an Irish guitar.

Let me be a little more specific in my recommendation request. What size, shape, and wood combinations would meet my needs? As for brands, I do like the Taylor sound. So if I were to limit my choices to Taylors, what model? I've played a GS8 and I think I'm in love, but is it the right one for me? I'm not brand loyal, and open to suggestions and corrections.

Jalbert, you're on

Soli Deo Gloria!

Tak Jumbo N20C "Judy"
Old 03-01-2008, 07:02 AM

Hey Tim:

The best advice I can offer is to set aside a few hours, visit a local shop with a good selection, and play as many different makes & models as you can.

Many of us around here like Taylor's.... but that's not exclusive by any means.

Hope you find a great one!

Blessings,
Taylorplayer
Old 03-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

I have the GS8 and while its a great guitar, I need to wear a strap when playing it (I play seated). I'm an older guy too and I find the OM size to be more comfortable now.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-01-2008, 07:37 AM

Default Blueridge BR-160

Blueridge BR-160. This is a remake of the pre-war Martin D-28 which is the holy grail of guitars.

You can hear a comparison at maurysmusic.com
Old 03-03-2008, 12:03 PM

Thanks again folks.

Barry, does your GS8 make for a good fingerstyle git? I know it strums real good.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Tak Jumbo N20C "Judy"
Old 03-03-2008, 01:18 PM

I find the 814/GS8 to be the most versatile guitar in my collection. It is definitely a guitar to consider for your needs.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRW3 View Post
Isn't a local reg in San Diego that you have to own at least one Taylor?

Why not head out the famous Buffalo Brothers and try some different guitars, see what you like.

BTW a GA is not a smaller guitar, it's a Dread in a girdle. Nice waist, same fat but.
I agree, go and play everything on the wall. You did not give a price range, but there are lots of great guitars in lots of price ranges. You obviously have enough experience to know what guitars talk to you. Close your eyes and let the music do the talking!

Taylor HR-14 Hot Rod NAMM Limited Edition "Hot Rod" (Aniversary Present from my Wife)

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...letrap-photos/
Old 03-03-2008, 02:22 PM

As for price, I'd like to stay around $1200 (or else I'll have to sell another speargun )

On another note, the GA sound is worlds apart from the Dread, wouldn't you say? Each string and note rings clear with very strong mids and highs, but when strummed it doesn't blend very well to my ear, like a dread. But, again, I've only played a few GA's and would like to be proven wrong. I love the GA size, as opposed to my jumbo, and even the GS.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Tak Jumbo N20C "Judy"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion