The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2010, 01:12 PM

Default Who has the best prices on Taylor guitars ?

I am looking at buying a 314ce or a 414ce and am just wondering who has the best prices ? Right now, Guitar Center is having a sale and appears to have the best deal. Any other ideas ? Thanks
Old 09-03-2010, 01:17 PM

Check out GuitarRodeo.com. He's a forum sponsor, and has just about the best price out there. He also has a trade up program, you can send your guitar back to him for the full price you paid for it if you want to trade up to a higher model down the road.
2008 Taylor 714ce Fall Ltd. *sold*
Old 09-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Whippersnapper

Yup, Guitar Rodeo. Wildwood Music has equally good prices. Both will have probably have better prices than what GC can give with a deal.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 09-03-2010, 01:29 PM

Guitarrodeo.com is fantastic and the trade up program is amazing. Also dont forget http://www.laguitarsales.com/, they are super as well and have equally good prices but no trade up program.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:44 PM

Lightbulb How to buy a Taylor

First of all, realize that guitar prices are negotiable to the point that if you see one store with a higher price you can usually get them to match a lower priced competitor. There is typically much less negotiable mark-up these days because the internet has made price comparisons easier.

Second, if there are two stores in town who carry Taylor, check them both out. Try to buy from one that is close to you, and from a Taylor dealer (i.e. pass on a used Taylor guitar sold at a non-dealer). Make sure you find someone you're comfortable with as you will be going back for service or a 2nd guitar down the road. Also, go ahead and buy new on your model; the warranty will be worth it. Don't diss GC if you like the people better there. Service varies across all stores, but people - not size of the store - will make the difference.

Last, play every possible guitar of the model you're looking for; sometimes there will be 2 or 3 of the same model in the store, both used and new. That will mean 4-5 between two models. That is plenty to try. You will find that 1 or 2 speak to you. Look at the wood grain on the back of the guitar, one may be more appealing than the other, however sound will be very close. If they are otherwise of the same model and you can't decide, but they both sound good, flip a coin as any difference is probably imagined.

Don't be afraid to pass on buying one if they are a stickler on the price or you don't find one you really like. Go back in 3-4 months and a big store will probably have new models in. On the other hand, don't let a good one get away.
Cube Street
Old 09-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Just to clarify what others have already mentioned about Guitar Rodeo ... during my search Jim (GR) had lower prices and better terms than my local GC. But when you check his website you will not see prices. Just contact him via email or phone and he will gladly quote you a price.

I bought my Taylor from him and will buy my next one from him. Great price, knowledgeable person, easy to deal with, and great upgrade option. So big thumbs up for Guitar Rodeo.

Ken
Old 09-03-2010, 02:20 PM

Guitar Rodeo, Jim will do you right!
Martin HD28
Recording King RAJ-27
Sullivan Festival Deluxe Banjo
Fender 1973 Strat
Old 09-03-2010, 02:39 PM

Great info from everyone ! Thank you ! I did contact Guitar Rodeo and actually, Guitar Center was cheaper. And it is on a new 2010 model with the new ES system. I guess I need to go back down and play the guitar again and see if it is "the one." It appears to be the best deal. Thanks guys !
Old 09-03-2010, 02:55 PM

While I patronize plenty of online vendors, I'd throw in there... there is something to be said for patronizing and developing relationships with local shops. Very often they are within a few dollars of anyone else and if not, they will match any valid price. Many offer free setups. Even if some of the perks aren't there, it is possible to get to know the people who will potentially work on or set up your guitar and (more importantly) for them to get to know you and your preferences. This (in my experience) is tough to put a dollar value on.

Ed
Old 09-03-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
While I patronize plenty of online vendors, I'd throw in there... there is something to be said for patronizing and developing relationships with local shops. Very often they are within a few dollars of anyone else and if not, they will match any valid price. Many offer free setups. Even if some of the perks aren't there, it is possible to get to know the people who will potentially work on or set up your guitar and (more importantly) for them to get to know you and your preferences. This (in my experience) is tough to put a dollar value on.

Ed
I try to buy local whenever possible. I like to support the little guy, but then again Jim at GR is a mom and pop shop so I am supporting a local shop. Just not local to me.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglins View Post
I try to buy local whenever possible. I like to support the little guy, but then again Jim at GR is a mom and pop shop so I am supporting a local shop. Just not local to me.
+1 on this. I don't do Guitar Center for new guitars, I do independent shops. I bought my 714ce-LTD from my local indie, and my new BTO from Jim at the Rodeo. Both are independent shops that need business to stay alive. I went with Jim this time because he is so familiar with the BTO process -- the local guy had never done one and was scared of it "too many things to get wrong" he said.
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 09-03-2010, 06:18 PM

http://www.guitarrodeo.com/index.php Guitar Rodeo. Call them and see for yourself.

2010 Taylor 814 CE
2007 Ultrasound AG50 DS4
Old 09-03-2010, 06:30 PM

After shopping around for my guitar, I've found that Jon and Sharon at myfavoriteguitars.com have slightly cheaper prices than Jim Guitar Rodeo or Wildwood. The difference is about $50 - $100. His shipping prices to Sydney were also around $50 dollars cheaper.

Because I don't live in the US, the extra USD $100 - $150 was worth more than Guitar Rodeo's 100% tradeup policy. I'd never use the policy. However, if I lived in the US, it would be a much harder choice.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55fmj View Post
I am looking at buying a 314ce or a 414ce and am just wondering who has the best prices ? Right now, Guitar Center is having a sale and appears to have the best deal. Any other ideas ? Thanks
Ebay, ebay, ebay. or craigslist or whatever floats your boat. I got my 410ce (since no price discussions) for an unbelievable deal.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:49 PM

I meant to ask: how much better a "deal" was Guitar Center, and was it based on price, or some "warranty" that they claim to offer? Was this a new guitar -- did you check the serial number to be sure?
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion