The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-23-2017, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Default The Manchester Monstrosity.

Last night Jane went to bed as the news came on (10.00) and I said that I'd be up after then news.

I must have dozed off immediately, because I awoke at 1.30 a.m. to see the after effects of the happenings in Manchester.

One man, one crazy, misguided zealot decided that a jolly good thing to do would be to go to a large venue, where there was a pop concert in process, and to detonate his IED as hundreds, thousands of young girls left the theatre and gathered in the foyer.

Thus far his ridiculous action has killed 19 and seriously wounded 59 people - mostly teen and pre-teen girls.

Apparently the so called IS have claimed responsibility. Well, I guess they would wouldn't they?

But ...the question remains..... Why.

What possible benefit would killing and maiming young people do to further their, or any, cause?

This is of course just one of a series of outrages. France, Belgium, Germany, and now Britain.
(Yes it's been going on for ages - London 7.7.05 etc.)

Why?

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-23-2017 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Edited description
Old 05-23-2017, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Too sad for words...
Old 05-23-2017, 06:59 AM
Guest4562

I don't care about why right now, we can arrive at that after we take action to prevent more attacks.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
.... after we take action to prevent more attacks.
I agree with the sentiment, but I don't see a clear path forward the way we are currently approaching the problem. We can't police every location in the world. We watch trucks running down pedestrians as one recent example. We can't possibly secure every mile of roadway where people walk. As soon as we secure a location or venue, the crazies will move along to another vulnerable point with a new tool. It's a very tragic state of affairs looking for a better understanding to result in a positive outcome. Effective security is clearly required, but there needs to be other ideas so we can all live our lives.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:20 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I agree with the sentiment, but I don't see a clear path forward the way we are currently approaching the problem. We can't police every location in the world. We watch trucks running down pedestrians as one recent example. We can't possibly secure every mile of roadway where people walk. As soon as we secure a location or venue, the crazies will move along to another vulnerable point with a new tool. It's a very tragic state of affairs looking for a better understanding to result in a positive outcome. Effective security is clearly required, but there needs to be other ideas so we can all live our lives.
For me to be more specific would cross the line into a political discussion, so I'm out of this thread.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:36 AM

Terrorists are cowards. They kill and maim women, children, the sick, and the elderly, across the globe, to cause as much pain and suffering for those they hate. They have no conscience, and unless you harbor the same amount of dark vicious hate in your heart, you will never understand them. So, to your question "why?", you cannot know. And, for that, you should consider yourself fortunate. My thoughts and prayers go to the families of the young people. I have children (girls) and I cannot imagine the sheer anguish they feel at this moment.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:49 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
<<snip>>

<<snip>>

Why?

I have been asking myself the same question with unfortunate regularity ever since April 19, 1995, when Timothy McVeigh blew up the Oklahoma City FBI building, killing hundreds, including pre-schoolers.

The only answer I have ever come up with is that human beings like to think that they are rational creatures; instead, we are really a species that can rationalize just about anything.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:

One man, one crazy, misguided zealot decided that a jolly good thing to do would be to go to a large venue, where there was a pop concert in process, and to detonate his IED as hundreds, thousands of young girls left the theatre and gathered in the foyer.

Why?
Because too many people insist on blaming "One man, one crazy, misguided zealot" when things like this happen... Tim McVeigh also wasn't "One man, one crazy, misguided zealot" so I'm not pointing a finger at only one movement.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Andrew,
It's sad beyond words. My thoughts are with the parents.

We grew up in a time when such attacks were unimaginable. So I guess we were lucky.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-23-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Last night Jane went to bed as the news came on (10.00) and I said that I'd be up after then news.

I must have dozed off immediately, because I awoke at 1.30 a.m. to see the after effects of the happenings in Manchester.

Thus far his ridiculous action has killed 19 and seriously wounded 59 people - mostly teen and pre-teen girls.

Apparently the so called IS have claimed responsibility. Well, I guess they would wouldn't they?

What possible benefit would killing and maiming young people do to further their, or any, cause?

This is of course just one of a series of outrages. France, Belgium, Germany, and now Britain.

Why?
Don't bother asking why. It's not rational behavior to those who can't conceive of it. It is rational behavior to those who do.
Murder is evil. People who commit murders like these for a cause are doing evil because they think it is rational.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-23-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Don't bother asking why. It's not rational behavior to those who can't conceive of it. It is rational behavior to those who do.
Murder is evil. People who commit murders like these for a cause are doing evil because they think it is rational.
It's the End-Goal you have to look at. The path to that can seem irrational, but you're talking about an ancient culture, and this approach has always been the go to in pursuit of this specific goal, which also has never changed. Stop trying to understand the individual acts, and look at the goal. It'll make sense to you then.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

That is the very definition of terrorism. They spread "terror" to disrupt the normal functioning of the society they oppose. They use terror to try to drive change.

Unfortunately, we cannot discuss this without crossing lines. Although we like to compartmentalize this into a "small micro-population of extremists" the reality is that the larger population, as a whole, who do not actively stop them are therefore complicit (while happily not getting their own hands dirty).

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 05-23-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:34 AM
G625 mistral-k

Words can not express the sadness and loss of life due to a senseless act. I pray for the victims and their families.

Your question is attempt to find some understanding. Unfortunately, I do not believe there is an acceptable answer to finding an understanding to these horrific acts other than that these are individuals who are simply evil, who find solace as a participant in a cult and whose soul purpose is to due harm to others.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 AM

There will never be peace in the world
while credulity is encouraged and allowed.
A cure for this disease?
An emancipation from
and an eradication of.

Quote:
May it be to the world, what I believe it will be,
(to some parts sooner, to others later, but finally to all,) the signal of arousing men
to burst the chains under which monkish ignorance and superstition had persuaded them to bind themselves....

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-23-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Why?
Never seen it explained better than here:

What ISIS Really Wants
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-wants/384980/

Heart goes out to the people of Manchester. I trust the Brits will not stand for this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic