The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-21-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Dude, calm down it's an open mic ....its to talk about whatever you want to talk about and I chose to talk about a few guitars that I have seen in the classifieds with the same price for the past six months that get bumped up week after week obviously the pricing is wrong. I just find it goofy. That's my opinion and it seems to be the opinion of a lot of people here I don't know why you want to censor my opinion over yours.

And as you said in your own words if I don't like it then I shouldn't look at it so if you don't like my post I don't know why you just don't overlook it as well. I guess we could shut down the open mic section because it's full of opposing opinions that what makes the world go round.
Talk about whatever you want to talk about, but the open mic follows the same rules as the rest of the forum, specifically rule 1. I just told you above I was not upset, but I am getting there now. My name is not Francis nor Dude. Show some respect.

I am also not censoring your opinion, maybe you should look that word up. I am disagreeing with your opinion, not stopping your ability to share it. I am not overlooking your post because as a moderator it is my job to follow threads to make sure they are within the rules of the forum.

Now thank you for your time and if you respond to this post, why not try it by using my forum name instead of Francis or Dude...that would be a good start.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Talk about whatever you want to talk about, but the open mic follows the same rules as the rest of the forum, specifically rule 1. I just told you above I was not upset, but I am getting there now. My name is not Francis nor Dude. Show some respect.

I am also not censoring your opinion, maybe you should look that word up. I am disagreeing with your opinion, not stopping your ability to share it. I am not overlooking your post because as a moderator it is my job to follow threads to make sure they are within the rules of the forum.

Now thank you for your time and if you respond to this post, why not try it by using my forum name instead of Francis or Dude...that would be a good start.
Yes sir! My original post followed all the rules the only one that broke rule number one , the be nice rule seemed to be you. No one was arguing there was no one not being nice people were just commenting neutrally about how they found it strange or funny the people sometimes post items way out of the price range and keep pumping them up you're the only one that came on here and even as a moderator with an attitude. Seriously read back through all the posts no one was having any issues only you took issue with it I'm done
Old 05-21-2017, 07:05 PM

I apologize for getting off on the wrong foot here feel free to delete this thread if you would like
Old 05-21-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
I apologize for getting off on the wrong foot here feel free to delete this thread if you would like
Well thank you, and I apologize as well if my post made you feel as though I were angry. I really was not. Just feel people can do what they want in the classifieds as long as within the rules, just as you so accurately pointed out your right to talk about anything within the rules in the open mic.

So, again, all is good on my end and I do not want to close this thread...I really try to avoid doing that. There is nothing wrong in this thread. So as far as I am concerned it stays open.

Thanks again.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

I will be selling a guitar on the forum soon. It is a Lowden that has been made, maybe 1-3 times? You can't really say that there is a "market" for this, simply a limited number of potential buyers.

I will pick a minimum sales price, and will not go below that. I will also give plenty of time for the buyer who is intrigued and desirous of this size/wood combo to see the ad and contact me. Every time I "legally" bump it I increase the chance that my potential buyer will see it.

I have no problem if it takes months.

Last edited by M19; 05-22-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

The other thing to keep in mind is although many AGF members are very knowledgable about guitar pricing (and what constitutes a desirable/reasonable new guitar price), there are also many who are perhaps not as knowledgeable and end up overpaying for a given guitar. In such circumstances, I can understand a seller setting a sale price for a used instrument that might rival the new price for the same guitar from a forum sponsor. And so the seller who overpaid arrives at a hopeful price based on what he paid, not on the going used prices and sticks to that despite indications that a lower price might yield a quicker sale....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-21-2017, 08:03 PM

If someone is shopping here they have likely read "contact a forum sponsor" before buying. If they are selling, finding a "going price" on an instrument is pretty simply since the advent of the internet. You can Google many places to see what a 20** X-model guitar is selling for. If you're asking more than the others for sale, then you better have a hook like Mint or unplayed or similar to justify a higher price. Other than, of course, "I overpaid and now want to get my money back. One offs are a different story.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
If someone is shopping here they have likely read "contact a forum sponsor" before buying. If they are selling, finding a "going price" on an instrument is pretty simply since the advent of the internet. You can Google many places to see what a 20** X-model guitar is selling for. If you're asking more than the others for sale, then you better have a hook like Mint or unplayed or similar to justify a higher price. Other than, of course, "I overpaid and now want to get my money back. One offs are a different story.
Of course you're correct, Josh; but over the course of 11 years as an AGF member, I've read lots of posts from folks who bought their guitars from large chain guitar stores and not necessarily on sale. When they decide to sell for whatever reason, they set a price totally based on what you said, "I overpaid and now want my money (or as much as possible) back." In other words, they had already overpaid prior to becoming an AGF regular and drunk of the collective wisdom....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-21-2017, 08:23 PM

Thank you to the two gentlemen who got in a bit of a spat, that's the most fun I've had in a while I was laughing out loud like a little kid.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruzOMGuy View Post
Thank you to the two gentlemen who got in a bit of a spat, that's the most fun I've had in a while I was laughing out loud like a little kid.

Ha! Don't you understand Cruz......this is serious stuff! Lol. It did turn comical. I tried to lighten it up with the "Francis" comment from Stripes. Now back to our regular scheduled programming....and bickering.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:43 PM

You had me looking at Francis on Urban Dictionary but don't follow that Rabbit Trail because there's some pretty bizarre things in there

Old 05-21-2017, 08:54 PM

https://youtu.be/9pA1h1FjBZg

Old 05-21-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruzOMGuy View Post
https://youtu.be/9pA1h1FjBZg

That's it!!!!!!!!!!! Great movie!
Old 05-21-2017, 10:46 PM

I have seen many guitars bumped many times in the classified that are not priced too high, and seem to me, in fact, to be great deals. It still may take them a little while to sell, and they might not sell at all here. After all, the AGF Classifieds is only a small fraction of the guitar market. Posting here is posting to an enthusiastic and likely knowledgeable potential customer base, but it is a limited customer base.
I have seen many great deals here I certainly couldn't jump on because of funds. Some go fast, some go slow.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 05-22-2017, 04:10 AM

I believe there are at least three types of guitar sellers in our Classifieds at any one time:
  1. Someone who is anxious to get a guitar sold right away; perhaps to pay an upcoming bill or to fund another purchase. For these sellers, time is an important factor. If a guitar hasn't sold in the first week or so, there will often be a price reduction or something added to "sweeten" the deal.
  2. the seller who knows how much he/she wants from a guitar, for whatever reason, and is willing to wait for weeks or even months for the right buyer.
  3. the seller who is not really interested in selling, but, hey, if somebody wants to pay me that much, I might be persuaded. This seller might list a guitar for a few weeks, and it if hasn't sold, close the ad for a while and then repost it.
These are very different approaches, but each is legit. If I don't like what is being offered, but the guitar and its price, I should just move on without complaint.

Buyers are somewhat the same, and might be similarly grouped in three categories:
  1. The buyer who is looking for the lowest possible price, and does not hesitate in making lowball offers in hopes one will eventually be accepted. It doesn't really matter if the reason is to quickly turn around and sell the guitar at a nice profit or if a low offer is actually the highest that buyer can possibly make.
  2. The buyer who is knowledgeable enough to know almost exactly what a guitar is worth, and will make his/her offers based on that, with a definite limit in mind.
  3. The buyer who is looking for a particular guitar. Perhaps has been for a while. Knows it's worth quite well, but for the right example of it, might be willing to pay a bit more.
Such types of buyers are legit, too. If a seller doesn't like an offer from one of them, it's easy to turn it down or make a counter offer.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic