The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-18-2017, 05:45 PM

Default American Airlines is breaking the guitar carry on law

After 4 years of flying with them almost exclusively with a 00 guitar on every flight, AA has started in the past few weeks demanding I check my guitar at the gate. I tell them about the law requiring them to allow a carry on small instrument and one guy actually said "it's our plane. We decide what goes on it." The flight attendants still couldn't be be nicer so I've basically been telling the gate attendant to go to hell. I almost got detained today though so it's time to step up the complaints.

I think they are trying to extract priority boarding fees by claiming the overhead spaces are full but we do board early so that's a bunch of garbage.

This is a crime. I'll report back when my complaints are answered.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:54 PM

Good luck with that. Passengers have no rights. In my considerable flying experience (probably 900K air miles of business and personal travel) any intersection between "airlines" and "customer service" is pure coincidence.

You are basically at the mercy of gate agents first and then cabin crew, despite the law. Be prepared to be detained or thrown off a flight if you object too much. I'd have my US Senator or Congressman on speed dial just in case. Or maybe the local TV news crew.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 PM

I am digging back in the deep crevices of my mind to a letter from The American Federation of Musicians (I believe) and the aeronautical community (could have been the FAA) about the carry on policy as it pertains to guitars.

Years ago I did have a copy in my guitar case when I traveled.

I don't fly with a guitar these days; but do a google search and you should be able to find it.

You might also find it in the archives of the AGF. That is where I found the link many years ago.

Happy hunting.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 05-18-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfood View Post
.... I tell them about the law requiring them to allow a carry on small instrument and one guy actually said "it's our plane. We decide what goes on it." ......
And.......he/she is correct. I have never had a problem but my secret is ........ be nice, smile and......... be nice. And, be prepared on every boarding to gate-check your guitar.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:43 PM

Check Margo Price's twitter feed. She's a well known County / Americana artist that plays a late 50's Gibson Southern Jumbo and they did that to her last week. She posted a video.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 05-18-2017, 08:18 PM

Get a copy of the law and keep it in an easily accessible spot when you travel.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
After 4 years of flying with them almost exclusively with a 00 guitar on every flight, AA has started in the past few weeks demanding I check my guitar at the gate. I tell them about the law requiring them to allow a carry on small instrument and one guy actually said "it's our plane. We decide what goes on it." The flight attendants still couldn't be be nicer so I've basically been telling the gate attendant to go to hell. I almost got detained today though so it's time to step up the complaints.

I think they are trying to extract priority boarding fees by claiming the overhead spaces are full but we do board early so that's a bunch of garbage.

This is a crime. I'll report back when my complaints are answered.
Big clear letters clearly visible on the side of your case; 'Property Of Dr. D. Dao'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 PM

Good luck with your quest. To the best of my knowledge the flight crew still has the final say on what can come aboard.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaume View Post
Check Margo Price's twitter feed. She's a well known County / Americana artist that plays a late 50's Gibson Southern Jumbo and they did that to her last week. She posted a video.
Watched the video.

When I see things like where 2 low level clerks who like to show how they have power over people do something stupid like that, I really get angry.

They had no right to take the guitars, as they first should have checked to see if the bin door could close with the guitars inside, and if it couldn't then check the pilot closet at the front of the plane at primary entry to see if there was room, which there almost always is.

Margo could have also enlisted the pilot and asked if they minded if she could put her guitars there, overruling these presumptious, self-important idiots and their "I'm such an important person in the airline industry".

I would not have been so, shall we say, diplomatic. Haven't flown American since the early 1970s, for reasons like this.

Last edited by jimrivera; 05-18-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:33 PM

As much as I would like to see things change…you’re just going dig yourself into a deeper hole.
Just because you’re right, doesn’t mean you get your way.
As others have echoed on here, be courteous and hope for the best.
The last thing you want to do is get into a pissing match and start dropping printouts of “laws”. Do you think a cop knows every updated law and ordnance on the books? In theory sure…but the reality is they don’t. You know not to pull that sort of stunt with a cop at a traffic stop, so you don’t do it at the gates.
2019 Taylor Academy 12e-N
Old 05-18-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
The flight attendants still couldn't be be nicer so I've basically been telling the gate attendant to go to hell.
This is not how you get what you want.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:04 AM

The only thing the provision states in certainty is that you can not be charged a fee to bring a small instrument as carry on.

IMO a guitar is not a small instrument.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:34 AM

Yo Yo Ma used to buy a ticket for his Stradivarius cello.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/05/24/ar...pagewanted=all

Between arduous security lines, crowded planes, onerous airline rules and obnoxious passengers, I no longer fly at all if I don't have to. I've got hundreds of thousands of frequent flyer miles that I use to fly first class if I absolutely have to fly.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 05-19-2017, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
Yo Yo Ma used to buy a ticket for his Stradivarius cello.
That's very true. I once flew with him to Toronto… he was in seat 1A and his cello was strapped into 1B.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

49 U.S. Code § 41724 - Musical instruments
(a) In General.—
(1)Small instruments as carry-on baggage.—An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a violin, guitar, or other musical instrument in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to any standard fee that carrier may require for comparable carry-on baggage, if—
(A)
the instrument can be stowed safely in a suitable baggage compartment in the aircraft cabin or under a passenger seat, in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator; and
(B)
there is space for such stowage at the time the passenger boards the aircraft.

(2)Larger instruments as carry-on baggage.—An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a musical instrument that is too large to meet the requirements of paragraph (1) in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to the cost of the additional ticket described in subparagraph (E), if—
(A)
the instrument is contained in a case or covered so as to avoid injury to other passengers;
(B)
the weight of the instrument, including the case or covering, does not exceed 165 pounds or the applicable weight restrictions for the aircraft;
(C)
the instrument can be stowed in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator;
(D)
neither the instrument nor the case contains any object not otherwise permitted to be carried in an aircraft cabin because of a law or regulation of the United States; and
(E)
the passenger wishing to carry the instrument in the aircraft cabin has purchased an additional seat to accommodate the instrument.

I'm not a lawyer, but the way I read this law suggests that when it comes to 00 size acoustic guitars, consider yourself very lucky if they allow you to bring it on board.
The airline isn't breaking any law by having you check it.

The bottom line: They decide. Being nice about it, to everyone, is your best tactic, but be prepared to have to check it.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic