The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-18-2017, 11:23 AM

I've never heard the song before, and boy it's a good one.
Your voice is unbelievable pure, and it fits the tune so well.
Beautiful.

Great playing too, and the sound on the recording is phenomenal.

Guess I've got to check out some Gordon Lightfoot albums now.. 👍😊

My tracks on SoundCloud (Lønhart Duo):

YouTube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZT...HIR4tGnwhusf8w

Taylor 324
Martin DX1AE
Gretch G5420T Electromatic
Aria Pro II Cardinal Series 250
Old 05-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrink View Post
I've never heard the song before, and boy it's a good one.
Your voice is unbelievable pure, and it fits the tune so well.
Beautiful.

Great playing too, and the sound on the recording is phenomenal.

Guess I've got to check out some Gordon Lightfoot albums now.. ����
Hi Tall Drink,

First, thank you so much for listening and for your comments! And thank you very much for the kind words! You made my day!! Really!

Regarding Gordon Lightfoot albums, this is an interesting link: http://gordonlightfoot.com/albums.shtml

The album with "Rainy Day People" on it is "Cold On The Shoulder" released in 1975. Here is a YouTube link to that version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKPobqk0e7w

For me, so many of the Gordon Lightfoot albums run together because I purchased just about all of them on vinyl when they came out. Gordon Lightfoot is now age 78 and I am 9 years younger than him. So musically, he was sort of like an older brother to me.

If you don't have much for Gordon Lightfoot recordings, I purchased this box set so that I had much of his music on CD.

Or, you can listen to an awful lot of Gordon Lightfoot stuff off YouTube for free. He was an incredibly prolific songwriter.

Thanks so much for your supportive comments!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 05-18-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Tall Drink,

First, thank you so much for listening and for your comments! And thank you very much for the kind words! You made my day!! Really!

Regarding Gordon Lightfoot albums, this is an interesting link: http://gordonlightfoot.com/albums.shtml

The album with "Rainy Day People" on it is "Cold On The Shoulder" released in 1975. Here is a YouTube link to that version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKPobqk0e7w

For me, so many of the Gordon Lightfoot albums run together because I purchased just about all of them on vinyl when they came out. Gordon Lightfoot is now age 78 and I am 9 years younger than him. So musically, he was sort of like an older brother to me.

If you don't have much for Gordon Lightfoot recordings, I purchased this box set so that I had much of his music on CD.

Or, you can listen to an awful lot of Gordon Lightfoot stuff off YouTube for free. He was an incredibly prolific songwriter.

Thanks so much for your supportive comments!

- Glenn
I guess he just didn't get much coverage in Denmark, where I'm from.. ��
I think I'll buy a greatest hit album, to get a sampling of his work.
I'm sure I can get it on iTunes. ��

I look forward to listen to the original song you've linked to.
I'll look forward to your next song here. ����

YouTube page:

Taylor 324
Martin DX1AE
Old 05-18-2017, 12:08 PM

I just listened to the original.
It's really got that seventies vibe to it, the arrangements and instruments is very much of the era.

I love it, and he's got the coolest name ever!

YouTube page:

Taylor 324
Martin DX1AE
Old 05-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrink View Post
I just listened to the original.
It's really got that seventies vibe to it, the arrangements and instruments is very much of the era.

I love it, and he's got the coolest name ever!
Yes, he does have a very cool name. And it's his real name, too.

- Glenn
Old 05-18-2017, 02:54 PM

That sounded great Glenn! Love the song. The Sheppard has always been one of my favorite guitars visually as until now I have never heard one. Sweet indeed!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 05-18-2017, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
That sounded great Glenn! Love the song. The Sheppard has always been one of my favorite guitars visually as until now I have never heard one. Sweet indeed!
Thank you Marty! And yes, the Sheppard is a visually and audibly superb guitar in my opinion.

- Glenn
Old 05-18-2017, 09:41 PM

I liked too. Do you know anymore G. Lightfoot tunes. He is one of my favorites. Guitar sounded great too. Tom Martin
Old 05-19-2017, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
I liked too. Do you know anymore G. Lightfoot tunes. He is one of my favorites. Guitar sounded great too. Tom Martin
Thank you Tom for your comments -- much appreciated.

I have done some other Gordon Lightfoot songs that are on my YouTube channel and that I have posted about here in Show & Tell on the AGF. Here are links:

Thanks for your interest!

- Glenn
Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 PM

Hey, Glen,
Thanks for posting these GL chestnuts. I never knew the little hammer-on used in "If You Could Read My Mind," and it really came alive for me after listening and watching you. I played that song in the 70s but reintroduced it to my set list, and lately I'm getting lots of "listening" audiences at the coffee houses where I play. I am leaning heavily on the singer/songwriter stuff, and the tip jar and audiences are coming out and filling the places.
Sometimes a little nudge from Show and Tell can ignite a spark. It sure makes performing to strangers more fun.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:21 PM

Been staying away from your posts lately Glenn. I've been busy and besides, you simply always seem to do such a wonderful turn to all the songs you post that it would simply be repetitious for me to send yet another compliment your way But it has been really, really rainy here so I thought it'd be an appropriate and good song for me to listen to. So as I said, sorry for the repetition, but, again, very nicely done!
Old 05-19-2017, 07:58 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Thanks for posting the other GL songs, Glenn. Simply, you're a consummate pro. You even have the video/recording arts down, and that's harder than it looks and you nail it. How nice to have a library of great performances to create a legacy and family heirloom.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
Hey, Glen,
Thanks for posting these GL chestnuts. I never knew the little hammer-on used in "If You Could Read My Mind," and it really came alive for me after listening and watching you. I played that song in the 70s but reintroduced it to my set list, and lately I'm getting lots of "listening" audiences at the coffee houses where I play. I am leaning heavily on the singer/songwriter stuff, and the tip jar and audiences are coming out and filling the places.
Sometimes a little nudge from Show and Tell can ignite a spark. It sure makes performing to strangers more fun.
Hi Larry,

How rewarding to hear from you, someone actually doing performance work! And how rewarding to hear that my rendition of "If You Could Read My Mind" might have provided a little inspiration or insight for you!

And especially for you, how nice that the tip jar is filling up for you! That is so very cool!

Thank you so much for listening and for your comments!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 05-19-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2017, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Been staying away from your posts lately Glenn. I've been busy and besides, you simply always seem to do such a wonderful turn to all the songs you post that it would simply be repetitious for me to send yet another compliment your way But it has been really, really rainy here so I thought it'd be an appropriate and good song for me to listen to. So as I said, sorry for the repetition, but, again, very nicely done!
Hi Nailpicker,

Well, first, thank you now for your comments here! I know you are an instrumental player, so it's very generous of you to respond positively to something where I am singing. So thank you.

Also, I think for all of those who post in Show & Tell threads here on the AGF that having people provide positive comments on these threads is very important. There is a sense for a lot of people -- not me, necessarily, but certainly others in Show & Tell -- where people feel like they are performing for a black hole. IS ANYONE THERE?

So, it's very significant for people to provide support. So yours is very much appreciated here.

I had heard that it's been very rainy in Wisconsin. In fact, the weather has been pretty miserable across a lot of the USA lately. I sure hope it gets better soon, because, actually, I am getting weary of it all. I am so very much looking forward to summertime and warmer weather.

At least "Rainy Day People" is about people who listen and offer support. Kind of like many people here on the AGF.

- Glenn
Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Thanks for posting the other GL songs, Glenn. Simply, you're a consummate pro. You even have the video/recording arts down, and that's harder than it looks and you nail it. How nice to have a library of great performances to create a legacy and family heirloom.
Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for your kind words and your support here.

Regarding the "library of great performances to create a legacy and family heirloom," I have actually been thinking about that a lot. My children are grown up and have young kids and so they are very busy. I have provided them a link to my YouTube channel, but I think only one 11-year-old grandson has been to the site, and he was simply being nice to me. I think right now, everyone is so busy in their lives that they just don't have time. I certainly understand this.

But the great thing about recordings is that they are there for later. As you have noted, this group of videos as well as many audio recordings I have made over the last 50 years or so will provide a little bit of an audio and now a video record of what my music was like for someone in the future who might be interested. You never know.

About 25 years ago my wife and I took the time to record our family doing about a dozen traditional Christmas carol-like songs. At the time, our young kids took part and put up with the inconvenience of working in the studio with my wife and I. But I'm sure they would have rather been doing something else at the time. However, today, all three of our kids and their extended families pull out that CD every Christmas and that is the main music they listen to through the season. So that music has turned out to matter to all of us 25 years later. So there's a good example of a legacy.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell