The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Default t5z unplugged

Ok i have done my searching with no real resolution.

How bad is the t5z unplugged?

I have a t5 and it is good for me. (a little fingerstyle and strumming)

I am debating on moving to a t5z, but am worried about the sound unplugged on a couch. I was thinking the spruce or koa for the top to help the unplugged sound.

Any experience?

(I know it will not be an 814 but better than a travel?)

oh and top wood recommendations? HOw is rosewood as a top?

Last edited by Duffyw794; 05-09-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-10-2017, 06:15 AM

Different animal- these aren't that resonant unplugged. Without an amp you'd be hard pressed to be heard across a small room.

I love the T5z, but (IMO) they are a one-trick pony. Good for a amping up and playing- an acoustic, in the form of an electric, that doesn't really sound like either.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Don't know about the T5z, but my T5 has a lovely voice, albeit small... unplugged, it is much more tonally balanced than either my Gibson 345 or 175...

However, I don't think it can come close in volume to a "travel guitar"...

My T5 has a beautiful maple top, but, in hindsight, I feel that a spruce top would give much better unplugged tone and volume...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-10-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Don't know about the T5z, but my T5 has a lovely voice, albeit small... unplugged, it is much more tonally balanced than either my Gibson 345 or 175...

However, I don't think it can come close in volume to a "travel guitar"...

My T5 has a beautiful maple top, but, in hindsight, I feel that a spruce top would give much better unplugged tone and volume...
I have the same thoughts as you regarding my t5 maple. I really enjoy it unplugged.

I was trying to figure out how big a difference the t5z has to that tone. And yes the tonewood. I was leaning spruce for the unplugged tone.

I am not looking for something to project past where I am sitting. but i find i dont like the sound of the electric unplugged. I like the t5 but I think it is going to a better family than me. So i was going to take the cash and get a t5z or maybe a t5 with a different top.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:19 AM

When the T5z was announced I'd only had my T5 Standard a short while. I kind of thought maybe I should have waited. When I did finally try the T5z the first thing I noticed was it was neck heavy. That's pretty much a deal breaker for me with an electric instrument.

My T5 has a spruce top and has a really nice albeit quiet acoustic tone. The z will obviously have a smaller acoustic voice. That's a quirky guitar and I don't think it can be compared to a normal acoustic since the body is so thick and really can't resonate like a full body acoustic. With the T5 or Z if you want good "acoustic" tone you will probably get there faster with a set of 12-52 acoustic strings. I run .11's electrics on mine but I like to use it a great deal for both sounds. Also recommended with these guitars are the GHS White Bronze as that alloy has more power than traditional strings with the wimpy T5 mag pickups.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
When the T5z was announced I'd only had my T5 Standard a short while. I kind of thought maybe I should have waited. When I did finally try the T5z the first thing I noticed was it was neck heavy. That's pretty much a deal breaker for me with an electric instrument.

My T5 has a spruce top and has a really nice albeit quiet acoustic tone. The z will obviously have a smaller acoustic voice. That's a quirky guitar and I don't think it can be compared to a normal acoustic since the body is so thick and really can't resonate like a full body acoustic. With the T5 or Z if you want good "acoustic" tone you will probably get there faster with a set of 12-52 acoustic strings. I run .11's electrics on mine but I like to use it a great deal for both sounds. Also recommended with these guitars are the GHS White Bronze as that alloy has more power than traditional strings with the wimpy T5 mag pickups.

thank you.

I am coming to the conclusion that the top really does not make a "big" difference unplugged.

I was struggling between all the tops and then they throw in cocobolo, ebony and rosewood tops!!!!!! ahhhh

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars