The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-19-2017, 11:48 AM

Default Gibson '48 L4 strings

I need some advice on a set of strings for a '48 acoustic L4. I know this is personal preference but there must be a fairly common "go to" string set. I'm thinking D'adario 12-53's phosphor bronze but that's what I use on my other acoustics. Is there a good preference for archtop acoustic? Flat wound, round, elect., nickel, 80/20's, ??? thanks, huckster
Old 02-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Many people here on the Archtop Forum have been extolling the virtues of the Martin Monel Retros, which are nickel. I plan to try those when I get my first archtop. If you like D'Addario (I do as well on flatops) you may also try the Nickel Round Wounds in its product line.
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 02-19-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubengal View Post
...If you like D'Addario (I do as well on flatops) you may also try the Nickel Round Wounds in its product line.
The Nickel Bronze is their equivalent to the Martin Monels...
Old 02-20-2017, 12:28 PM

My favorites were the ernie ball aluminum bronze strings. They added a nice overtone shimmer to my archtop. Sadly I can't buy them locally so I just use EB 80/20 Lights. I can buy them in my local pharmacy, of all places.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:06 PM

12-53s are fine.

I suggest John Pearse Pure Nickel Acoustic-Electric (960L or 2700) or John Pearse 80/20 200L strings.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
12-53s are fine...
While you might be able to get away with them on an Eastman - especially if you're going to doing Gypsy jazz exclusively - IME you don't want to go any lighter than 13-56 on a pre-1970 archtop regardless of maker. The physics of archtop vibration are very different from those of a flattop - piston vs. torsional force - and given their intended use as unamplified comp boxes driving four-to-the-bar behind a 20-piece horn section, you're going to need a heavier string to adequately drive the top and bring out its best; bear in mind that you're also dealing with a short-scale instrument (24-3/4" vs. 25-1/2" for the 17"/18" boxes, as well as their Epiphone competitors), and even if you've never done so before I'd strongly recommend building up your stamina on a set of 13's, with an eye toward stepping up to 14's down the line - you'll be surprised just how much more tone/volume you'll get when you're set up to original factory specs...
Old 03-27-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Many people here on the Archtop Forum have been extolling the virtues of the Martin Monel Retros, which are nickel.
I'm pretty sure the Martin Monel Retros are monel steel. Through a magnetic pickup, just as with bronze strings, the string balance of the Monel Retros is not good. The plain strings are way louder than wound ones. For magnetic pickups, nickel strings balance much more evenly. I should mention that acoustically, the Monel Retros sound fantastic on an archtop.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
I'm pretty sure the Martin Monel Retros are monel steel. Through a magnetic pickup, just as with bronze strings, the string balance of the Monel Retros is not good. The plain strings are way louder than wound ones. For magnetic pickups, nickel strings balance much more evenly. I should mention that acoustically, the Monel Retros sound fantastic on an archtop.
Actually we are both partly right. It is not pure nickel but mostly nickel with other alloys.

The Wikipedia definition of Monel is:

"Monel is a group of nickel alloys, primarily composed of nickel (up to 67%) and copper, with small amounts of iron, manganese, carbon, and silicon."
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 03-28-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Actually we are both partly right. It is not pure nickel but mostly nickel with other alloys.

The Wikipedia definition of Monel is:

"Monel is a group of nickel alloys, primarily composed of nickel (up to 67%) and copper, with small amounts of iron, manganese, carbon, and silicon."
Interesting... They sure sound good acoustically, but again, monel is the wrong choice for a guitar equipped with a magnetic pickup. Regardless of whether or not monel contains nickel, in terms of string balance, the difference between Martin Monel Retros and D'Addario nickel wound XL's is stark.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops