The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-24-2017, 04:43 PM

The operative words are “shall permit,” rather than “must permit. Also, if there’s no room in the overheads (or the bins are too short or small, such as on 767s and puddle-jumpers) and the guitar won’t fit under the seat ahead, you’re S.O.L. The ultimate discretion still resides with the flight crew.

That’s why I either carry on a Voyage-Air (and zip apart the compartments of the case so one part fits in the bin and the other under my seat), or check a bigger guitar in a Calton case and hope for the best. Only time I’ve ever had to gate-check my V-A was on a Porter Airlines turboprop flight to Toronto for Folk Alliance—I was allowed to carry on the detached computer compartment but had to hand over the guitar part and dulcimer. The guitar came through unscathed; the dulcimer’s scroll snapped off. (I had it in a padded gig bag, thinking it could be my second carry-on. Nope). Porter refused to pay for the damage, as it was not in a flight case. I had the hotel pack it for shipment to the factory for repair—and it arrived further trashed and needed replacement. FedEx refused to pay because it was inadequately packed, but the hotel issued me a voucher for the entire cost of my stay for the “next time” (as if I will ever stay with them again—their service was abominable throughout my stay). To add insult to injury, Porter socked me with an extra-bag fee each way for gate-checking the guitar. (And they charge a bundle for the first bag, too).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've tried and/or seen it all. I've carried a full size guitar in hardshell case on board a few times (Southwest, paid for "early boarding" to ensure Group 1), bought a VA for traveling and it was fine on the big plane but did NOT fit on the smaller connector flight overheads and had to push it as best I could under the seat in front of me (the flight attendant saw that it was sticking out but had mercy on me), tried a parlor size guitar in a padded gig bag and had a rather heated discussion with the gate attendant but finally managed to get it on (Boston, Jet Blue), no problems with that on the return flight (???!), finally bit the bullet and bought a Hiscox Lite that I now check. Three flights, no problems, I love that case! It sports a "I (heart) baggage handlers!" sticker by the way ;-). Yes, you have to wait for it at the luggage area but in my experience in Boston at least, the baggage people do not throw it on those rotating luggage things in the terminal but carry it to a separate area where they drop off things like golf clubs, big strollers that have been checked, etc.

A year or so ago I was on a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and there was what appeared to be school group who had SIX guitars that ALL made it on board. Earlier this year I was on a flight from Vegas where a guy brought on not one but TWO strats in the older rectangular hard cases and he got on fine. So....who knows? I do absolutely believe (with the exception of that self-important gate guy at Jet Blue in Boston) that a nice smile and common courtesy will usually rule the day. All I know for sure is that I don't need the stress of worrying about what will happen at the gate. Hence, the Hiscox.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:17 AM

Here's another story on the same issue, only this time it was American Airlines which came to the rescue: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4a53a3aa8399
Old 06-13-2017, 11:10 AM

Someone above mentioned that airlines should charge for all carry-on items. I just flew Frontier Airlines for the first time and that's exactly what they do. It's really the most civilized way. No problem for anyone onboard (3 of us) with guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic