The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2014, 10:56 AM

Default Kopp vs Fairbanks?

I'm looking at a J-35 type guitar and am wondering if you have any opinions on these two makers? Which has the warmer tone? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Been lucky enough to try both, the Kopp to my ear had a warmer fuller tone. Personal taste, I was not blown away by the Fairbanks, but the Kopp was quite lovely.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Before The Podium closed I was able to play many slopes from Collins, Faibanks, Kopp, and I think Walker. All were great just different from each other. I did leave thinking if I were to pick one thatday it would have been the Fairbanks.

It might change day to day. Good luck. Sorry I can not be definative. As many say "you can't go wrong".
Old 02-17-2014, 01:25 PM

But can you tell me what differentiated the Kopp from the Fairbanks?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

I've never played a Fairbanks but own Kopp K-35. I also have a relatively good (so subjective) J-45. The Kopp is now what the Gibson might be in 40 years? I can't explain it any other way? I realize this still gives you no comparison between the two guitars you're interested in. Just wanted to say the K-35 is an awesome slope dread if you're looking for that vintage voicing?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:18 PM

Thanks Jim. I still like to hear reviews on the K-35. Is it a ton better than the older SJ's? Or about the same?
Old 02-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

I haven't played many older Gibson's...so I can't really comment on that...sorry? I'm sure the Gibson folks here would be glad to chime in but maybe haven't played the Kopp? They aren't easy to come by I realize but the few AD's that handle Kevin's guitars do have fairly liberal return policies. I bought mine used from The Podium sight unseen. Turned around and bought a Kopp L-02 new before it could even get to The Music Emporium. If you're looking for that vintage Gibson sound the Kopp K-35 is better (IMHO) than any of Gibson's current offerings...well, at least the ones I've encountered? Not bashing Gibson...I own two.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I have played one fairbanks and two kopps (in Nashville). mY Gibson OJ reissue was better than both. More mids and gibson vibe. The other guitars were great, but my OJ is special. There is a collings CJ35 at Artisan Guitars that has a german top that is the best Gibson vibe slope I have ever played. For 8000 you can get it. My bet is that the new OJ reissues are really good, but they are very expensive too. Mine came from the first run and was selected by Greg Boyd. Does not have the lows of modern slopes do but it is not supposed to. That col;ings has it all. I love mine because it also takes very well to KK. The Collings blows away every CJ I have ever played.......abd I have played a bunch.....they hit home run with that model.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

I've heard the Collings CJ35 is an awesome guitar. I'd sure like to try it but can't see spending $8k on a guitar with so many really great ones for so much less? Just my two cents?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:10 PM

If at all possible, I do truly recommend playing both prior to making a decision. With that in mind, I have been able to play both side by side (at Music Emporium near Boston, MA).

My opinion, the Fairbanks was a much better guitar. I was much more comfortable to play and more lively. The Kopp had a huge neck and sounded dead.

Again, opinions vary.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Aagreed. The standard cj35 with adi top is probably great and I same price range as others
Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 PM

Jon Walker is by far my favorite J-35 type builder.. he adds a balance and even quality to the tone that is very pleasing. Its loud without being shrill. It barks and bites but is still sweet. Love my wise river.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

The Kopp had a warmer tone, mellower with good balance throughout the bass, mid and treble. If I remember rightly I had a Wegan pick about a 1.4mm with me and had that initial Wow feeling when playing the K-35. Someone else had bought the instrument so the gas lust was not to be a problem.
I would not put labels of Gibson ish or Martin ish on the instrument, it was a wonderful tone all of it's own. Even, balanced very warm tone with great projection.
The Fairbanks had a tighter tone, a thinner sounding bass. It was a nice instrument but not a tone I care for. Someone A B ing a D-18 might have considered it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion